Photo

Pro Stock Gear Subculture - what is it?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 HockeySavants

HockeySavants
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:16 PM

It's become a hobby of mine to collect pro stock from every team.

So far I have had at least one piece of gear from:

Blackhawks (gloves, pants, stick)
Penguins (gloves, pants, jersey)
Rangers (gloves)
Canucks (blades)
Stars (blades)
Sharks (pants) (sold)
Ducks (gloves) (sold)
Kings (goalie pants)
Bruins (stick)
Senators (skates)
Devils (blades)

I've come across 1/3rd of all NHL teams...not a bad goal.

I absolutely cannot get enough items used by the Pros, however I feel that sometimes there is a bit too much hype on some items like the RS, Franchise gloves, Tackla pants, Jofa protective artificially drives the prices much higher than they really should.

I think X:60s are the best gloves made period next to Eagle, but somehow a pair of Warrior Franchises will sell for 2-3X more. Not dogging the Franchises I love them but still prefer my X:60s
He shot at the 2 hole....that's what she said

#22 SPhilly28

SPhilly28
  • LocationHalifax NS

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:21 PM

Yeah I get it. When I say Canadian made I really should be saying Canadian, American or European made. Products from traditional hockey countries made by people who take some pride in the product, not shopped overseas to the lowest bidding mass producer. Its a small thing for sure, trying to keep my purchases local, but I will pay more for something from a local producer. Anyways that could lead to a totally different discussion and not really appropriate for this forum.

#23 Shark#81

Shark#81
  • LocationSproat Lake

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:53 PM

Do you know the weight of the gloves?? I am really into ultra light for everything. I have custom made carbon fiber over EVA skates, shins, pants elbow pants, shoulder pads. So that leaves me gloves and helmet - or pants to cut up for the shell.

All the HDPE plastic plating in stock equipment is about 2x the weight of a carbon fiber. Also the EVA foam I use is closed cell heat moldable dual density feather weight and provides excellent protective and custom fitment qualities.

So my skates, shins and elbow pads for example are all heat molded to fit me. Don't know if you can see this pix it's the raw padding curing up

http://www.facebook....&id=65719127020
Latest hockey video:
http://youtu.be/Ncx5fned0ag?hd=1

#24 Brian

Brian

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:20 PM

You make that stuff on your own?

#25 numan

numan
  • LocationDallas

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:20 PM

I don't know the exact weight of any gloves but I do know combat and Easton gloves are the two lightest combats Bieng number 1. As far as helmet the lightest would be the s19 but if you don mine a little extra weight of advise a Bauer 4500 Over anything

#26 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:07 PM

It's become a hobby of mine to collect pro stock from every team.

So far I have had at least one piece of gear from:

Blackhawks (gloves, pants, stick)
Penguins (gloves, pants, jersey)
Rangers (gloves)
Canucks (blades)
Stars (blades)
Sharks (pants) (sold)
Ducks (gloves) (sold)
Kings (goalie pants)
Bruins (stick)
Senators (skates)
Devils (blades)

I've come across 1/3rd of all NHL teams...not a bad goal.

I absolutely cannot get enough items used by the Pros, however I feel that sometimes there is a bit too much hype on some items like the RS, Franchise gloves, Tackla pants, Jofa protective artificially drives the prices much higher than they really should.

I think X:60s are the best gloves made period next to Eagle, but somehow a pair of Warrior Franchises will sell for 2-3X more. Not dogging the Franchises I love them but still prefer my X:60s

Thats interesting, id be curious do a list of how many different team gear I own!
Follow us: Instagram: http://instagram.com/sports2k_com#
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Stock-Hockey-Sports2Kcom/151010068304116

#27 Shark#81

Shark#81
  • LocationSproat Lake

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:37 PM

Cool thanks again. Eastons are light for sure, i have some 70 buck Cdn tire specials not too crazy over them. I will def check those two helmets out this weekend. In a collision last nite looking back at the puck, got my head rattled and whiplashed - feeling the effects today.

PS: yes I have come up with way to make this carbon padding fairly quickly, but even then a pair of shins will take the better part of 1-2 days. very nit picky stuff because it has to feel just right. i think that with stock gear (not heat molded) players have to put up with some gear slop. that is gear that wobbles around on the leg or arm during intense play. With heat molded gear it's right on your limb very little movement, sort of like a prosthetic.

however I have no vent holes or sweat absorbing function. I hardly sweat so not a big problem for me, but even so I'll take the high performance over that aspect.
Latest hockey video:
http://youtu.be/Ncx5fned0ag?hd=1

#28 Gr8erade

Gr8erade

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:58 AM

Ducks - socks, shell, gloves (I forget whose Warriors I have)
Bruins - Socks (home, away, 3rds, winter classic), shell (9k and also Winter classic 9k and a WC shell), pants, gloves (Savard, Morris (Winter Classic), Savard again, Bergeron, Recchi) , helmet (Winter classic Morris, generic WC 8K too)
Sabres - pants, gloves, socks (Roy Eastons)
Flames - shell, socks
Hurricanes - socks
Blackhawks - pants, socks, gloves (generic Eastons)
Avalanche - I guess I'm missing this one, though I do have an Sakic jersey from the first stanley cup year
Blue Jackets - pants
Stars - gloves (Warriors - Robidas, sold the Petersons), socks
Detroit - pants, Gloves (Lidstrom Warriors, Zetterberg Eastons)
Oilers - socks
Panthers - socks
Kings - socks, gloves (generic Luxe)
Wild - Gloves (Demitra Warriors), socks
Canadiens - hmmm, nothing, I think
Predators - Socks, Pants
Devils- Socks, Gloves (Langenbrunner Warriors, Madden Eagles)
Islanders - None.
Rangers - Socks, Shell. Used to have Gomez Easton gloves.
Senators - Shell, Socks, Gloves (Fisher Bauers, Kelly Bauers)
Flyers - Shell, Gloves (generic Bauers)
Coyotes - Gloves (Morris Eagles, Turris Warriors), socks, shell, pants, helmet.
Penguins - Socks
Sharks - Socks
Blues - Shell (9k), pants, Socks
Lightning - pants, socks
Leafs - None
Canucks - Pants (2 pair), socks, shell, gloves (Perrault Warriors, Ehrhoff Warriors (I sold these), Edler Bauers, generic Bauers, Johnson x60s)
Capitals - Gloves - Generic Reebok 4 rolls.
Jets - nothing

I like picking stuff up when I find it at a good price or if I find it interesting. I guess I'm not a red/white/blue fan though, now that I look at this list.