Photo

switching back to a two piece help, Advantages vs. Disadvantages

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 iceman8310

iceman8310
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:01 AM

So I'm thinking about switching back to a two piece and perhaps a wood blade.  I haven't used a two piece in about 10 years.  The last two piece I used was a z-bubble. 

I'm also thinking about going back to a wood blade.  What are the advantages and disadvantages for a two piece besides changing out the blade.  Its been so long, has the technology improved?

#2 dirtysouthgentleman

dirtysouthgentleman

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:09 AM

if you get wood blades buy a few at a time. youll go through them faster than you can change them out

i went through 6 in a month, then i switched back to using OPS

#3 chab27

chab27
  • LocationQuébec City

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:33 AM

I actually made the swap from wood 3 years ago. (always played with a SOP Sher-Wood blade)

I try to play with thicker composite blades but none of them match what I had when I was playing with my own pattern! Anyway the sher-wood blades would last me maximum a game, 23$ a pop, bought by 1 or 2 dozen at a time.

I considered getting custom T90s last year but I waited and tried a couple different specs.

The main difference is the stiffness of the blade in composite that will remain the same or close to throughout the game. The feeling on the wooden blade is unmatched and the only combo that ever felt like it were the Axiom blade but they are so heavy.

The wooden blades were getting too soft for me, too fast. Im quite hard on my sticks and it wouldve cost me too much to keep playing with them.

#4 CrazyDanny

CrazyDanny
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:02 PM

The biggest advantage for me is it allows me to experiment with different patterns at about a 1/4 of the price of a decent new ops.

Technology-wise, the tapered shafts and short hosel blades give you the same basic feel of a comparable ops. I like the rounder profile shafts you can get on the newer ones vs the old ultralite and zbubbles

Downside - tapered wood blades generally suck. Retail ones are terrible - and pro ones are tough to find. I have used a lot of the Pro Reebok 6k equivalents (composite) and have had good success both in feel and durabilty.

#5 underworldeagle

underworldeagle
  • LocationMontreal, Qc

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:16 PM

if you get wood blades buy a few at a time. youll go through them faster than you can change them out

i went through 6 in a month, then i switched back to using OPS

agree 100%, the delam super fast and go soft quickly

also tapered retail wood blades in my experience break really easily in the connection area

#6 iceman8310

iceman8310
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:21 PM

i broke out my old black and silver aluminum the other day.  are they still legal?  if you slash someone probably hurt pretty bad.  some guy was stick slashing me and broke his stick on the thing. 

I personally think if too heavy go to the gym more