Photo

Switching to Girdle + Shell

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 rbark11

rbark11
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:56 PM

Just wanted to get some advice on using girdles and shells instead of pants. I currently use some pro stock Reebok 7000 pants. They offer great protection, but feel kind of bulky and are pretty heavy. I want something that will give me greater mobility, so using a girdle should do that right? I've only used pants. Thanks for the help 

#2 kevin92285

kevin92285

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:21 PM

Yup, I made the switch to the 9k girdle and i feel way lighter and more mobile in them.

#3 Obscene19

Obscene19
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:28 PM

I made the switch also. It'll take getting used to but once you do it's awesome. Its hard to explain how they are. More tight fit but still more mobile. I do think they are heavier than my old tacklas but youll get used to it. Plus you can change your shell every game ;)

Hockey is Life. The rest is just details.

"Trade Steve Yzerman? That's like asking me if I want to trade my son Jason for the kid next door."

—Jacques Demers

#4 dmare13

dmare13
  • LocationOC, California

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:13 PM

I made the switch to a girdle for the same reasons that you're looking to.  Get a 9k girdle man, straight up, it's a revelation.  So much more mobility while still being pretty protective. 

Always looking for some Nasty Toe Curves in a Righty

#5 kevin92285

kevin92285

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:49 PM

I like to think of them as the skinny jeans of hockey pants.

#6 wild4hitmen

wild4hitmen
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:49 PM

Yep loving my 9k girdle! Will never wear anything different! Another thing that I really like is the 9k girdle with no legs and throw on some lowers. 

#7 rbark11

rbark11
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:44 PM

Appreciate all your input guys, thanks. I'll probably start looking for a 9k girdle, everyone seems to love theirs. Anyone use the Warrior Projekt girdle? I've seen some of those floating around on here 

#8 greghughes

greghughes
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:59 AM

http://www.hockeymon...e-9k-sr-12.html

Like this 9k girdle?

Looking for retro Ducks set!

#9 rbark11

rbark11
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:21 AM

http://www.hockeymon...e-9k-sr-12.html

Like this 9k girdle?

that's the retail version, looks like it might be for roller hockey. this is the pro stock 9k girdle everyone has i believe:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item1c2fcc62c3

#10 greghughes

greghughes

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:30 AM

Ah i see

Looking for retro Ducks set!

#11 theflash0000

theflash0000

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:40 AM

Appreciate all your input guys, thanks. I'll probably start looking for a 9k girdle, everyone seems to love theirs. Anyone use the Warrior Projekt girdle? I've seen some of those floating around on here

I usd to wear a 9k and now I have a pro stock Projekt. They are very different. The 9k has a form-fitting upper section and free-floating leg pads. The Projekt is form-fitting all around, more like bicycle shorts, keeping all the pads close to your body. I loved my 9k, but when I switched to the Projekt I realized how much the 9k leg pads were interfering with my stride and general mobility. It's all personal preference. Good news is that 9k shells work well with the Projekt too.

Check out The Hockey Locker Podcast!

Episode 7 of The Hockey Locker Podcast is now live! We discuss the latest gear news and releases, including the Bauer MX3 stick and we talk about how to deal with a hockey injury from both a mental and physical perspective. Download here! 

http://hockeylockerp....wordpress.com/

Twitter: @Hockey_Locker

hockeylockerpodcast@gmail.com

#12 rbark11

rbark11
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:55 PM

I usd to wear a 9k and now I have a pro stock Projekt. They are very different. The 9k has a form-fitting upper section and free-floating leg pads. The Projekt is form-fitting all around, more like bicycle shorts, keeping all the pads close to your body. I loved my 9k, but when I switched to the Projekt I realized how much the 9k leg pads were interfering with my stride and general mobility. It's all personal preference. Good news is that 9k shells work well with the Projekt too.

Thanks flash appreciate it. Are the retail projekt girdles any different than the pro stock?

#13 theflash0000

theflash0000

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:24 PM

Thanks flash appreciate it. Are the retail projekt girdles any different than the pro stock?

I've heard the padding is beefier on the pro stock model, but I've never compared them. They definitely have different SKUs though, so I would think there are other differences.

Check out The Hockey Locker Podcast!

Episode 7 of The Hockey Locker Podcast is now live! We discuss the latest gear news and releases, including the Bauer MX3 stick and we talk about how to deal with a hockey injury from both a mental and physical perspective. Download here! 

http://hockeylockerp....wordpress.com/

Twitter: @Hockey_Locker

hockeylockerpodcast@gmail.com

#14 Erock84

Erock84

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:08 PM

I got tired of wearing suspenders and all the extra weight of pants too. I made the switch to the Easton retail synergy girdle which fits tight like the warrior one. Man what a difference.

#15 Bleafer

Bleafer
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:10 PM

Off topic, but does anyone know the waist sizes for the 9k girdle in small/medium/large? 

For Sale:

#16 Grizzly

Grizzly
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:15 PM

I like to think of them as the skinny jeans of hockey pants.

That's why Bakes wears one haha

NHL teams could care less that you want a pair of brand new Warrior Luxe/Franchise custom thumb loop super custom digi toilet paper soft palm with double added reinforced custom Warrior logo backhand padding gloves or a 17 flex double kreps curve upside down toe hook stick from your fav player/team. -Bakes

#3k gsdhead.gif

#17 Liddy019

Liddy019

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:24 PM

I just bought a L ccm girdle and have a L shell coming as well. Gonna try it out. I've been wearing L 520's. am I in trouble? Lol
Liddy:-)

#18 sierrawhiskeygolf

sierrawhiskeygolf
  • LocationT-Dot

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:21 PM

i think this is pretty close on the sizing for the 9k:

S - 28 - 30

M - 30 - 32

L - 34 - 36

XL - 36 - 38

i wear 36 waist pants (but i like them loose and i can fit into 34) and the size L 9k works for me. i could possibly wear an XL but the L is good. fyi if you are heavy waisted i would say the 9k won't work very well, it suits a leaner body type. 

#19 thinkingjack

thinkingjack
  • LocationTempe, AZ

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:14 PM

i use the Easton Synergy Girdle, i dont know if its retail or pro stock, i got it gifted through someone so i could do a review.

This one is like a bike pant also, spandex you pull it on and its form fitting like spandex shorts, i love it, the mobility is fantastic, my only grip is theres a few questionable areas without protection that i couldnt tell until someone speared me.  other than that they're great and the protection is solid when i took a slapper off the side of the leg.  I'd recommend it.  I had the choice of this one the projekt, and the 9K and i preferred this one since i have pretty muscular legs

the inner belt did it for me also

Feel free to check out my hockey reviews, or random stuff

#20 thinkingjack

thinkingjack
  • LocationTempe, AZ

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:15 PM

also dont be fooled by sizing, they're spandex, they'll stretch to whatever size your ass is, trust me i have a friend much fatter than i am and he can pull this thing on and its like normal

Feel free to check out my hockey reviews, or random stuff