Photo

Tacki Mac 10 week study

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 Brian

Brian

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:08 AM

I've been using Tacki Mac grips for about a year now with the hopes of prolonging the life of my palms. Up until now, I'm not so sure that my palms do any better than before when I used regular cloth tape for the handle.

I'm going to do a little test over the next 10 weeks to see what kind of wear the Tacki Mac grip will do to a brand new pair of palms over 30 games. (Maybe a few more if I make it through playoffs.)

Gloves - brand new pair of pro stock Bauer 4 rolls with the standard single layer palm.
Grip - Tacki Mac sand (long) modified to a shorter length of 4 inches with a small butt on the end.
Games - 30 (plus a possiblity of maybe 6 extra)

I'll post some photos of the grip and the gloves later while both are brand new.

I think the most difficult part of this is going to be using only one pair of gloves all season. I've never done that!

#2 UnrealFlow

UnrealFlow
  • LocationKingston ON

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:57 PM

looking forward to seeing this play out!

#3 timdog

timdog

HOCKEY: Making Dentist Rich Since 1875 :)

• PipPipPip
  • 3,310 posts
  • LocationThe hammer

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:20 AM

Me too!!!!

#4 Brian

Brian

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:08 AM

I'm curious to see how it turns out as well.

Although, I'm thinking now it would be cooler to probably play 15 games in one pair of gloves and th Tacki Mac and then play the other 15 games with a different pair of gloves and regular cloth tape and see the difference.

#5 romdj

romdj
  • LocationBrussels, Belgium

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:26 AM

I'm curious to see how it turns out as well.

Although, I'm thinking now it would be cooler to probably play 15 games in one pair of gloves and th Tacki Mac and then play the other 15 games with a different pair of gloves and regular cloth tape and see the difference.

I think that it's a better idea to really put the tacki mac up to the test by starting with 30+games. after that we can do comparison. (imho, you choose, you're the one making the test)

what I did like about the tacki mac is that although I don't know how it turns out durability wise, but they don't leave glue residue that I find really unpleasant with cloth tape. anyways that was my 0.02$

#6 theflash0000

theflash0000

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:24 AM

The reason I like the original plan of playing 30+ games with brand new palms and the Tacki-Mac:

People tape their stick handles in a wide variety of ways. Cloth tape, gauze tape, some use shin tape on the handle. We all know what our palms look like after using our own method.

This way, you get a long-term look at how the Tacki-Mac, which is widely-available, affects new palms. Then you can just compare it to how your personal tape job affects your palms.

Having Brian do a comparison between the Tacki-Mac and some other tape job only shows you how it stands up to that tape job. As a consequence, you'd lose 15 games worth of data.

I'd rather see the results after 30 games.

Check out The Hockey Locker Podcast!

Episode 7 of The Hockey Locker Podcast is now live! We discuss the latest gear news and releases, including the Bauer MX3 stick and we talk about how to deal with a hockey injury from both a mental and physical perspective. Download here! 

http://hockeylockerp....wordpress.com/

Twitter: @Hockey_Locker

hockeylockerpodcast@gmail.com

#7 NYIslanders21

NYIslanders21
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:28 AM

I wore out my tacki mac in about 35 games

#8 NYIslanders21

NYIslanders21
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:30 AM

but def a great idea Brian i cant wait to see the results

#9 Brian

Brian

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:32 AM

Good point, Flash.
For what it might be worth, I can already see a little wear on the palm after ONE game. game two is tonight.

#10 theflash0000

theflash0000

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:38 AM

Oh and try to take a pic after each game--then we can make a cool time-lapse animated GIF :)

Check out The Hockey Locker Podcast!

Episode 7 of The Hockey Locker Podcast is now live! We discuss the latest gear news and releases, including the Bauer MX3 stick and we talk about how to deal with a hockey injury from both a mental and physical perspective. Download here! 

http://hockeylockerp....wordpress.com/

Twitter: @Hockey_Locker

hockeylockerpodcast@gmail.com

#11 Brian

Brian

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:43 AM

That actually would be pretty neat. Let me think about it.

#12 NYIslanders21

NYIslanders21
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:06 PM

Oh and try to take a pic after each game--then we can make a cool time-lapse animated GIF :)

great idea!

#13 Brian

Brian

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:34 AM

Doing good so far. Almost halfway through my season(s). I think tomorrow is game 14.

The palms are getting some wear on them. Not too bad though. Looking forward to finishing up the second half (so I can go back to rotating gloves again. :P)

#14 modny123

modny123
  • LocationHamilton Ontario

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:29 PM

i've been using tacki mac white pro kane grip with my warrior's with nash palms since new

they palms still look new.

best grip i ever gripped

forecheck backcheck paycheque

My eBay feedback

@emodny on twitter

@emodny on instagram

Golden Horshoe Dangles Crew

#15 Too Old

Too Old
  • LocationIowa

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:55 PM

Been using them for a couple years now and gloves look great compared to cloth tape.

#16 Sabres

Sabres
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:11 AM

I tried them....made stick butt feel to big....I love what they do ir dont do, to palms, but had to switch to gauze tape to make butt smaller. I used the one with the spiral wrap.

#17 UnrealFlow

UnrealFlow
  • LocationKingston ON

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:38 AM

Gauze tape is the worst on palms.

#18 modny123

modny123

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:32 AM

i get the kane pro model imported from texas

My eBay feedback

@emodny on twitter

@emodny on instagram

#19 Brian

Brian

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:01 AM

Agreed that they are too thick, but the custom ones I make out of the "sand long" are pretty thin, actually.

#20 modny123

modny123

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:47 PM

you can cut them easily with a hot xacto knife

My eBay feedback

@emodny on twitter

@emodny on instagram