74 replies to this topic

#1 ken6473

ken6473

2013 and 2015 S2K Playoff Challenge Champion

• PipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationKingston, ON

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:18 PM

Just wondering about some opinions in regards to putting your name on an NHL team jersey.

I'm all for it, because it truly makes it your jersey, and if you happen to put a pro name on it, and they get traded, you're stuck with a jersey.

I have friends who think that it's wrong to put anything but a pro's name on a pro jersey on it, because it has to be earned.

Opinions?

Sometimes I tuck my junk between my legs and pretend to be a woman if that's what you meant?

#2 Brian

Brian

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:23 PM

Don't care either way. More important things to worry about...

#3 Monty22

Monty22

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:28 PM

It's cool if you're 10 or under. Otherwise, you might as well be that guy who wears a jersey to go get his skates sharpened....

#4 - M

- M

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:03 PM

I would never get my own name on a NHL jersey. In the collecting hobby if you get the name of a player on a jersey he never wore it's considered a jersey foul.

That being said I buy and collect jerseys based on who my favorite players are. If a player gets traded I don't really care.

If your bag has wheels, you don't.

#5 dirtysouthgentleman

dirtysouthgentleman

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:30 PM

i could not bring myself to do this.....

#6 FCB51

FCB51
  • LocationMontreal, QC

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:31 PM

It should be each to their own.

I'm not going to hate if someone wears a jersey with their name on the back or an NHL'ers name on the back. I do think it's a little strange if you put #99, #66, or #87 on the back with your name - you better be able to back it up on the ice, but hey it's their money.

When I was younger I tried to collect jerseys of the players I liked but from teams that they weren't famous for like Messier and Vanc, Gretzky and St Louis, Bourque and the Av's, Hull and the Whale...thought it was pretty cool :)

Oh and every Friday I wear a Habs jersey with a different players name and number on it, the kids love it...(I'm an elementary teacher)

#7 gtaco94

gtaco94

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:03 PM

It should be each to their own.

I'm not going to hate if someone wears a jersey with their name on the back or an NHL'ers name on the back. I do thnk it's a little strange if you put #99, #66, or #87 on the back with your name - you better be able to back it up on the ice, but hey it's their money.

When I was younger I tried to collect jerseys of the players I liked but from teams that they weren't famous for like Messier and Vanc, Gretzky and St Louis, Bourque and the Av's, Hull and the Whale...thought it was pretty cool :)

Oh and every Friday I ware a Habs jersey with a different players name and number on it, the kids love it...(I'm an elementary teacher)

Yea I agree with you. I would never get my name on the back of a jersey. I'm always worried that my fiance or family will shell out a chunk of change to get a jersey with my name on the back. I would feel so bad because I would never wear it, but if I did to make sure that I let them know I appreciate the gesture, I would be embarrassed.

I always have the "customise or not" dilemma. I hate how empty and blank the jersey is without it, but like the ability to not have to worry about a player being traded. I tend to have all my jerseys customised though. I am the same way. I like different players on different teams but I try and buy jerseys that are unique. I also have a tendency to like certain players that aren't the "main superstars", although I have/plan to get some that are more in the spotlight.

I have a Jordan Eberle Green WJC team Canada jersey and a Kitchener Rangers Jeff Skinner jersey. Looking to get a Seguin Bruins jersey and a Bolland Hawks jersey.

I wish I could wear my jerseys every Friday. So jealous!

#8 Grammer

Grammer
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:35 PM

The Rangers Skinner jersey is a great idea. And the Eberle one too. They played for those teams and never anywhere else, so it's kind of frozen in time. It's like getting a Bure Canucks jersey now. It doesn't matter that he played for FLA and NYR, because he doesn't play for them now.

As for your own name, I'd never do it. It feels wrong. But I don't like wearing players names either. I'm my own person, you know? I'm not as wealthy or talented or admired as an NHL player, but I don't want to be Milan Lucic or Jeff Skinner or Pavel Bure or Wayne Gretzky. Do i want to be as good as them at hockey, yes. But wearing their name won't achieve that end. That said, I don't take issue with other people's choices on the matter. Wear anything you want if it makes you happy. My opinion on your jersey wearing habits should be of no consequence.

#9 FearlessMadog

FearlessMadog
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:35 PM

Love that you have a Kitchener rangers jerseys all the way down in Texas, that's my hometown team :) their 3rd jerseys are possibly my favorite of any jersey. I am also in the same boat as most on here with not putting my own last name on the jersey.

#10 dirtysouthgentleman

dirtysouthgentleman

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:49 PM

id never wear a jersey with a name on it peroid. i do however have one exception to my rule

if i know them on a personal level ill wear their name on the back to show support at the games (few old friends from travel hockey playing in the minors :headbang: )

#11 CapAttack

CapAttack

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:04 PM

If I ever got my own name on a professional jersey, I would hope that someone would hit me over the head with a goalie stick.

I know people do it, but I just don't see the point. There is a guy at Capitals games who sits in front of me with his name on a #8 jersey. Why? Maybe that was his number growing up or something along those lines, but I mean in DC #8 belongs to Alex Ovechkin (and I guess Cal Ripken Jr)

#12 GuitarAwesome

GuitarAwesome
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:19 PM

If you go to drop in, in a caps jersey, number 8 stiched, and your own name on it, you are going to be MERCILESSLY destroyed. Hell, people who wear Ovechkin or famous nameplate jersies to drop in get the business top notch as it is. To live games as a spectator, I honestly think it's very dumb and tacky as all hell.

#13 HockeySavants

HockeySavants
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:36 PM

No, only player/retired players.
He shot at the 2 hole....that's what she said

#14 jamielov

jamielov

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:58 AM

I have 2 really nice Penguins Reebok practice jerseys (home/away) of a guy who got cut and never will have a shot at playing in the NHL. Instead of wearing a nameless players jerseys, i replaced them with my name on them and wear them to practice or pick up games. I get compliments all the time. I dont wear them for the compliments, nor do i feel anyone has the right to criticize.

Its funny how people spend so much time worrying about and/or criticizing what other people do. Who cares? Im never going to make it to the NHL but i like showing team support, and on the ice, its fun to feel what the pros feel. Who is anyone to tell me i cant? What affect is it having on them? If people arent movie stars, can they not wear fancy clothes or sunglasses? To each his own. Not trying to be argumentative, but there neednt be some code of ethics on what people wear on the ice. I have better things to worry about...like improving my own game....not stressing because someone has NHL jersey on

#15 GuitarAwesome

GuitarAwesome
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:47 AM

I wear nameless practice jerseys all the time. I'm not going to bother posting the respect issue between players who have actually played pro and those who, clearly, have not, because you just won't get it. Wearing your own nameplate on a jersey and playing in it is just something that shouldn't happen. You have to EARN that right, not just be some schmuck with 50$ who throws a nameplate on it. It's appalling.

#16 HockeySavants

HockeySavants
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:34 PM

practise jerseys for games....I don't mind.

But going to the game with a custom jersey...you're gonna get jeered

#17 jamielov

jamielov

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:58 PM

Calling me, or anyone else, a schmuck, and worrying so much about what i do clearly shows that maybe you dont get it, or have too much time on your hands. Life is short, and although id like to say im sorry for enjoying mine, im not. No, im never going to play in the NHL, but i wear a jersey of a team i passionately love and spent my hard earned money to show that love. Im sorry you dont get that or deem it as disrespectful. I admire and will forever be jealous of people who get paid to play the game i love. But no, im not worried what you, or a bunch of millionaires think about what i wear to my local hockey rink. You are so worried about respect, but call me, a complete stranger whose life you know nothing about, a derogatory term. I hope it made you feel better and impressed all your NHL friends.

Its funny that there are two former Pittsburgh Penguins who play in my league, and one AHL former player, and besides not only being three of the nicest and most supportive guys ive ever played with/against, none of them really give a damn what the hell i wear.

#18 Brian

Brian

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:17 PM

Gonna go get 99 and GRETZKY on my Wings practice jersey after work to wear to my men's league games.

Will post pics later.

#19 jamielov

jamielov

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:37 PM

LOL Brian. Arent you worried about what others will say and think about what you do/wear at your mens league games? Apparently you should be...

#20 HockeySavants

HockeySavants
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:09 PM

LOL Y u so mad tho?