Photo

Bauer APX 2 Skate

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:57 PM

i noticed nobody's made a topic on these yet, they're supposed to be out later this month. 

Who's gonna break their piggy banks, work some overtime, beg borrow and steal just to get these?

They do look nice and have some new cool features like the quick change for the runners which is definitely going to help keep NHL players that use them from missing a shift.

But if you're a reagular schmuck like me does it have enough features to make you want to run out and get them? Let's hear your thoughts. 

Here's a couple videos to get you a little up to speed.

Looking for BIOSTEEL jersey made by UA or Adidas.

Looking for Bauer Pro defender elbows size Large

My ebay (better prices for members)

#2 SSG_Beantown33

SSG_Beantown33
  • LocationGrafton, MA

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:09 PM

I had them on my feet this weekend....and was pretty impressed to the minor upgrades they made for functionality and durability

Being that I will be buying new skates this month to go down a 1/2 size from the APX I am in now

That being said I get skates at a REALLY good price considering who I work for and wasnt sold completely and heavily toosed up the idea just to stick with last years model as well and save 50-60$, one of the main reasons is I am such a big fanboy of Step Steel as well

After trying them on, no real huge difference at all in fit but its more the cosmetic and durability changes they made, is what has me sold

-New molded eyelet feature

-New 1 peice liner

-Wear patches on the inside liner near the top 2 eyelets (wear it always wears through)

-New tuuk is slightly higher, more lean/attack angle

Other than that....i just want to say I have the new APX2s lol

#3 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:14 PM

you got them before release date eh? are you sure it's not a bootleg chinese knock off copy haha.

I like how they have the abrasion pads on the rear heel, and the eyelet patches.

The runner feature i will have to say is pretty cool, but i can see a ton of kids and adults shredding their hands changing them out for the first time or not so bright kids trying to show their friends how the quick release system works then putting them back in with sharp runners.

Has Step made replacement runners for APX 2 yet? 

#4 SSG_Beantown33

SSG_Beantown33
  • LocationGrafton, MA

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

Ya the runners are no easy task....but they do have the tool which is pretty easy to take them out...really all not that difficult

to me the hardest part is not losing the tool to do it lol, the tool will come with each skate and any replacement steel but not sold individually

Also comes with a pretty comprehensive DVD to I believe on the new blade system and Skate sharpening

I did not get them yet....lol gotta sell mine old ones first, not in a huge rush, no need to have them before release

But No step has not, and I am not sure about patents but I have a feeling they may not...not really sure though

#5 Grammer

Grammer
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:36 PM

He means that one of his reasons for wanting them is so that he'll be able to say that he's in the newest and freshest. 

#6 SSG_Beantown33

SSG_Beantown33
  • LocationGrafton, MA

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:51 PM

isnt that what solely runs this board....gear whore-ery lol

#7 LukeSchenn#22

LukeSchenn#22
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:21 PM

I wouldn't mind trying these out, they look like a great skate.

Just that damn price tag lol
**Looking for any Schenn gear**

#8 potatoclock39

potatoclock39

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:23 PM

isnt that what solely runs this board....gear whore-ery lol

have you tried the mako skates? If so how do the apx2 skates compare?

#9 SSG_Beantown33

SSG_Beantown33
  • LocationGrafton, MA

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:26 PM

I was on the Mako Skates last week for about 4 hours total (couple skates)

To me, based alot on how I skate and feel...not even in the same ballpark as far as performance on feet

Not that one is better than the other...but for me the Makos just did not work. They are a great skate, very well made and really are designed for a fast low skater. Thing is, I skate very upright, play mostly all Defense (alot of D to D and Passing, not much up front) and have a short powerful stride,  and you need to be very much in the hockey stance and ready to skate at all times IMO and its just not me....Didnt allow me to beer league coast ahha

I am just so used to and love my APX....I have tried and owned them all out there(G75, 11k, 20k, NXG, CL, ECT) and I just wont give up the APX, its the one skate that fits me PERFECTLY and works with my style

#10 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:33 AM

I haven't owned a crazy amount of skates like you but the the first time I tried something in the vapor line it worked like a charm. Since then I've just used vapor skates. I hear of so many people having problems after buying a really expensive skate about it not fitting or feeling right, therefore I just stick to what works.

#11 dirtysouthgentleman

dirtysouthgentleman

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:10 AM

yeah i switched from bauer vapor line to reebok, and ill be switching back as soon as i can

#12 Wanz32

Wanz32
  • LocationKelowna

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:12 PM

Would be interesting to try these on as I have the current APX. Also been a bauer vapor fan boy since the vapor 1. Graduated to the 30's, 40's and then the APX. Contemplated trying the 11k when they came out, but only because of a pricing structure that was available, but quickly changed my mind and would rather spend the extra couple bucks for the comfort and reliability of the vapor skate. 

- Always looking for new style stars gear, particularly Bauer! 

#13 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:15 PM

They seem to have changed up the models names again in the newer line. It's so confusing sometimes