Photo

Spray Painting A Helmet

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 usadangles1991

usadangles1991

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:57 PM

I was wondering if anyone has ever spray painted a helmet. Any pics/instuctions/videos (thinkingjack).

New York Rangers

Edmonton Oilers

Team USA

#2 Monty22

Monty22

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:21 PM

Don't do it. Buy a helmet in the color you need/want.

#3 GuitarAwesome

GuitarAwesome
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:27 PM

THIS

#4 balsy17

balsy17
  • LocationToronto

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:33 PM

Which brand/model helmet? I know the Notre Dame Fighting Irish use to spray paint their helmet with paint that actually had gold in it, but know I think they order gold helmets now

#5 twitchx116

twitchx116

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:38 PM

Someone I play open hockey with did it looks terrible and the paint chips off a lot.

#6 LukeSchenn#22

LukeSchenn#22
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:39 PM

Exactly.
**Looking for any Schenn gear**

#7 usadangles1991

usadangles1991

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:06 PM

Well I just bought it Reebok 11k and they don't go 4 cheap

New York Rangers

Edmonton Oilers

Team USA

#8 Sort of Irish

Sort of Irish
  • LocationChicago

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:18 PM

Which brand/model helmet? I know the Notre Dame Fighting Irish use to spray paint their helmet with paint that actually had gold in it, but know I think they order gold helmets now

Yeah, they're using decals now.

#9 Hab4life

Hab4life
  • LocationSurrey BC Canada

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:51 PM

I spray bombed an older 4500 I had, painted it Hab blue and then used a clear high gloss coat on it afterward, it turned out really nice IMO. I sold it and kick myself for it all the time too.

I say go for it but the clear coat over top is a must IMO, fuck, it's only a helmet, you can always get another one in the proper color down the road whenever..........

I just did my mask as I was tired of the plain "original" white, I'm not into paying an arm and a leg for a paint job so it's a do it yourself job but still looks okay IMO. Some here will think it's god awful but that's okay too. :LOL:

Before,

IMG309_zps343dc582.jpg

After

IMG336_zps4c62636e.jpg

#10 Mincy

Mincy
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:10 AM

If you are going to paint your helmet I would first give it a light sanding, use an adhesion paint similar to a primer first, and then the desired colored you want. As Brett said, hit it with a clear coat when you're done. That's how my friend (who is a professional) painted my brothers sk2000. It came out great, and even after taking pucks to the head it still held up ok. Oh, and it wasn't spray paint in a can you get from the hardware store, it was airbrushed.

"Speak softly and carry a big stick"  Feedback

#11 LukeSchenn#22

LukeSchenn#22
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:16 AM

I spray bombed an older 4500 I had, painted it Hab blue and then used a clear high gloss coat on it afterward, it turned out really nice IMO. I sold it and kick myself for it all the time too.

I say go for it but the clear coat over top is a must IMO, fuck, it's only a helmet, you can always get another one in the proper color down the road whenever..........

I just did my mask as I was tired of the plain "original" white, I'm not into paying an arm and a leg for a paint job so it's a do it yourself job but still looks okay IMO. Some here will think it's god awful but that's okay too. :LOL:

Before,

IMG309_zps343dc582.jpg

After

IMG336_zps4c62636e.jpg

This actually looks like it turned out pretty nice

Just too many stickers :D
**Looking for any Schenn gear**

#12 theflash0000

theflash0000

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:44 AM

If you're going the DIY route, I suggest either Krylon paint (meant for plastic) or Rustoleum brand spray paints. Most hardware stores sell these plastic handle attachments that clip onto spray cans that make them kind of look like air guns. Helps get you an even flow out of the can.

Very light sanding. Then spray EXTREMELY light coats on. Like barely a dusting. If you concentrate on getting as little on the helmet with each coat, you'll prevent uneven build-up. Because the helmet is a 3D surface, if too much paint gets on at one time, it will run down like tears.

Then of course I second the clear coat idea. Disclaimer--this almost definitely voids any warranty and could degrade the plastic.

Check out The Hockey Locker Podcast!

Episode 7 of The Hockey Locker Podcast is now live! We discuss the latest gear news and releases, including the Bauer MX3 stick and we talk about how to deal with a hockey injury from both a mental and physical perspective. Download here! 

http://hockeylockerp....wordpress.com/

Twitter: @Hockey_Locker

hockeylockerpodcast@gmail.com

#13 Monty22

Monty22

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:51 AM

Well I just bought it Reebok 11k and they don't go 4 cheap

Return/sell it and buy what you want. It'll be cheaper than ruining the 11k you have, eating the cost of that and then still having to buy a new one.

#14 theflash0000

theflash0000

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:51 AM

Like this:

sprayhandle.jpg

Check out The Hockey Locker Podcast!

Episode 7 of The Hockey Locker Podcast is now live! We discuss the latest gear news and releases, including the Bauer MX3 stick and we talk about how to deal with a hockey injury from both a mental and physical perspective. Download here! 

http://hockeylockerp....wordpress.com/

Twitter: @Hockey_Locker

hockeylockerpodcast@gmail.com

#15 usadangles1991

usadangles1991

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:20 AM

Thanks for all of the help guys... Idk I think I might have to use a black 11k on a team that uses Montreal jerseys.

New York Rangers

Edmonton Oilers

Team USA

#16 Beer leaguer

Beer leaguer

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:14 AM

Habs looking like Andy Moog! Nice job hate team but awesome work!

#17 Hab4life

Hab4life
  • LocationSurrey BC Canada

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:40 PM

Habs looking like Andy Moog! Nice job hate team but awesome work!

Thanks,

FYI, I used a Tremclad Primer { red colored}, it's what I had kicking around,  and then Krylon {for plastic} spray paint on the mask.

#18 prhockey41

prhockey41
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:55 PM

I know someone that did it, spray painted a bauer 5100. Not sure about the process but all I know is that it looked ok except for the fact that he tried to save the logos by putting tape over them. Came out pretty shitty but if you took off the logos with nail polish remover then spray paint it you should be good

WTB (longshots):

• Letang, Hossa, Yakupov, Datsyuk, Duchene, Kane, Karlsson, Ovi, Vanek, Hall, Gaborik, Malkin, Crosby, Kovalchuk, Lidstrom, RNH, Tavares, Landeskog gloves
  • Eberle, Kessel, Giroux, Ovi, Iginla stick

#19 shoeshine boy

shoeshine boy
  • LocationDecatur, GA

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:06 PM

not to mention that the minute you spray paint it you've voided the certification......

always looking for non Reebok L & XL shells......

#20 norwood

norwood

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

not to mention that the minute you spray paint it you've voided the certification......

LIKE ANYBODY CARES.....I have played in many USA hockey championships and  they don't care if you wear a Jofa.....