Photo

Lacing Skates

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 akaSmall_Kitten

akaSmall_Kitten

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

I used a bozo title hoping people will come in and possibly offer some insight.

For 20+ I have laced my skates to the second top eyelid for great forward lean.
I have a pretty bad pronation with one foot (even with orthotics , realigning the blades...)

It's obvious if I had the skates done to the top the added ankle support would help a great deal ,
As does taping the ankle which isn't realistic all the time. I've tried lacing to the top as well as
Lacing to the top and skipping the second eyelid but both put me too upright and on my heels ....

My question is would profiling the blade slightly forward or using a smaller radius while keeping the skate laced all the way up help In all aspects ??

Skates are nxg's

Thanks

#2 Beer leaguer

Beer leaguer

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:54 PM

Your in skates 20+ years your ankles should be strong.

Try a different holder. I always found while in grafs I laced to the top. When in Bauer / RBk or Easton I left top eyelet out for flex. My ankles were not the reason. I just always loved the stance in Graf cobras. If you don't love the cobra look. Search mission pitch 3s. This holder is very very underrated .

The steel is awesome! The 3 different pitches is something you play around with. You can lace to the top and pitch the runner to +1 with a screw. Take 5 min to change two runner positions. You will have the lean and that extra stability of lacing all the way.

Hope this helps.

#3 Sort of Irish

Sort of Irish
  • LocationChicago

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:08 PM

You could skip the 2nd eyelet and lace the top one instead. Still helps with forward flex but I've always felt I get a little more ankle support.

#4 akaSmall_Kitten

akaSmall_Kitten

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:18 PM

You could skip the 2nd eyelet and lace the top one instead. Still helps with forward flex but I've always felt I get a little more ankle support.

That's all in my original post as one of the options I've tried. I liked the flex but still puts me too upright and deep in my heels.

Beer leaguer , my right ankle is horrible.... I played 10 years of semi-pro football always spat wrapping my cleats/ankles.
I do find that when I tape my ankle before a skate , it's great for support me bend but its not always possible and I feel like a
Tool taping my ankle at shinny or drop in.
I train 5 days a week in the gym , calfs every other day ...

I went a while where I realigned the blade to the inside , I skated well but in actuality
All your doing is incouraging the pronation and making it worse. With all your weight being overloaded.

Appreciate your suggestion , ive never heard about the missions before.

#5 sierrawhiskeygolf

sierrawhiskeygolf
  • LocationT-Dot

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:32 PM

what about using a wedge or shim under the heel?

#6 Beer leaguer

Beer leaguer

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:44 PM

Super feet? Also I had some thin wedges that came with synergy Easton skates. Hmmm heel lift before holder is mouted may be option.

#7 sierrawhiskeygolf

sierrawhiskeygolf
  • LocationT-Dot

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:26 PM

yeah that's what i meant. shim / lift  between the holder and boot.

#8 gator

gator

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:00 PM

i think getting your steel profiled for a forward pitch is a good idea. doesn't cost much and is easily reversible.

i have minor pronation on both feet and skate in nxg's also, i know exactly what you mean by the boot feeling too upright. i didn't like it and tried to adjust for months, but ended up getting a forward pitch profiled on new steel. i lace all the way up to the top, get ankle support and get forward flex, and if i ever want to go back to the original pitch i can just put my old steel back on. but i doubt i will, huge difference for me at least.

#9 akaSmall_Kitten

akaSmall_Kitten

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:51 PM

Gator ... I think that is what I'm going to do. They are at the shop now , having the tongues swapped
And putting steep in. I've asked for a 9ft radius , I will call and ask for a slight forward pitch , do you agree ??
Or have another suggestion ....??

Beer leaguer , I had shims on my older total ones for the pronation before I realigned them so naturally I was
Thinking of heel lifts for this issue. I will try the forward pitch option first.

Appreciate everybody's comments and suggestions.
If you've never had this issue , your lucky cause its very annoying getting things set right.

Thanks again.

#10 Beer leaguer

Beer leaguer

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:01 PM

Np let us know what works out for you ! The steel on the pitch 3s is awesome !

#11 bluelinearmy

bluelinearmy

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:19 PM

Mission pitch!!!

#12 akaSmall_Kitten

akaSmall_Kitten

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:39 PM

Ill report back after the weekend ....... And go from there.
Thanks

#13 akaSmall_Kitten

akaSmall_Kitten

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:13 PM

Update: brand new Nash tongues and step steel no forward pitch added.
Felt more on my toes with this set up compared to the stock set up.

Tried the lacing to the top , felt ok and gave me great support with my pronation.
Tried the lacing skipping the top (my usual) and skates felt great , support was still there due to the stiff boot.

Only problem is my right foot which is also the pronation is slightly bigger/thicker than my left.
This causes the foot to not sit as deep in the boot and as a result the boot doesn't wrap the
Fore foot/ankle area as well.... So when I lean forward my ankle is sitting to close to the eyelets
And not back in the heel. If there was more volume the support would be perfect with my original lacing.

I will try a really thin hockey sock tomorrow from my usual already thin dri fit.

#14 akaSmall_Kitten

akaSmall_Kitten

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:53 PM

Went with a thin hockey sock and took an old insole , cut it in half and glued it to the
Bottom inside of my super feet to help the pronation. Tied the skate to the top , skipping the second
Hole. Everything was great today. It feels like the second skate broke the tongues in alot , giving me
The forward flex.

As for now I will leave it as is .. Step steel , nash tongues , Superfeet , 9ft radius , tied to the top skipping the second hole.

Thanks