Photo

Washing Your Gear

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 SnipinFest9

SnipinFest9
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:09 PM

Not sure if this is in the right topic, feel free to move.

How do you guys wash your gear? Like actually  wash not like airdry and stuff. After half a year my equipment smells  :rofl: and i am not sure what method to use.

Thanks

If you need Maple Leafs Gear do NOT PM me

#2 prhockey41

prhockey41
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:13 PM

Every year I go to this place right by my rink that specializes in washing hockey equipment. I do it when I'm on vacation cause they just take your whole bag and wash everything and it takes about a week to do.. It's pretty expensive but they do a great job. However I honestly only go there because I hear using a regular washing machine softens the plastics in your protective.

WTB (longshots):

• Letang, Hossa, Yakupov, Datsyuk, Duchene, Kane, Karlsson, Ovi, Vanek, Hall, Gaborik, Malkin, Crosby, Kovalchuk, Lidstrom, RNH, Tavares, Landeskog gloves
  • Eberle, Kessel, Giroux, Ovi, Iginla stick

#3 Monty22

Monty22

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:22 PM

I put my shin liners, shoulders, and elbows in the tub and run a couple of inches of hot water. Mix in a scoop or two of Oxyclean and agitate it around for a minute or two, making sure everything is covered. Let it soak for an hour or two. Drain and turn the shower on all the stuff for a few minutes. Bring everything outside on the deck and let it dry in the sun.

#4 Yetso

Yetso
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:49 AM

Everything that fits of mine goes into the front load washer, low spin, long wash. two scoops of OxiClean and normal detergent. When I really need to wash the stank out of my gloves, I put a scoop of oxiclean inside of each glove, and run some liquid detergent down the palms, zero spin, long wash, hot/cold. Works wonders :) Except for my shins... Those get the bathtub and a scrub brush...

Phrasing people! Phrasing!!!

#5 PAPuck45

PAPuck45

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:25 AM

Gear in bathtub use laundry detergent and let it soak for 25 minutes then I scrub it. Drain the water full up with clean water to rinse if off then air dry it.

#6 thinkingjack

thinkingjack
  • LocationTempe, AZ

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:45 AM

everything washable, in a big front loader insert the 2 dollars in quarters, pour a thingie of oxy clean, scoop of detergent, mild water, soft cycle, closer that sumbitch up, come back later.  You're welcome!

Feel free to check out my hockey reviews, or random stuff

#7 modny123

modny123
  • LocationHamilton Ontario

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:31 AM

i usually put on all my equipment without my breezers socks or jerseys on. i then shower as per normal with my shinnies, jock, wlbows, mitts and helmet on.

then i go jog around the block to air dry all my stuff. works pretty guud

forecheck backcheck paycheque

My eBay feedback

@emodny on twitter

@emodny on instagram

Golden Horshoe Dangles Crew

#8 SnipinFest9

SnipinFest9
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:37 AM

i usually put on all my equipment without my breezers socks or jerseys on. i then shower as per normal with my shinnies, jock, wlbows, mitts and helmet on.

i wonder how you neighbors feel.........

If you need Maple Leafs Gear do NOT PM me

#9 NYIslanders21

NYIslanders21
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:01 AM

I thought I was the only one that cleaned their gear that way.  :up:

#10 - M

- M

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:54 PM

I put my shin liners, shoulders, and elbows in the tub and run a couple of inches of hot water. Mix in a scoop or two of Oxyclean and agitate it around for a minute or two, making sure everything is covered. Let it soak for an hour or two. Drain and turn the shower on all the stuff for a few minutes. Bring everything outside on the deck and let it dry in the sun.

I do exactly this as well.  I normally don't buy those "As Seen On TV" products but I find Oxyclean gets the job done quite well. 

I put all my gear in except for gloves, helmet and skates.  If you don't dry the gloves fast enough the palms start molding. 

If your bag has wheels, you don't.

#11 Hyuen88

Hyuen88
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:07 PM

Gear in bathtub use laundry detergent and let it soak for 25 minutes then I scrub it. Drain the water full up with clean water to rinse if off then air dry it.

I do the same, probably the cheapest/safest way to clean your gear. Just throw it in the tub, laundry sink or w/e is big enough, a pinch of detergent. What I like to do is weigh it down with something so its not floating. Scrub, drain, fill up clean water and rinse as mentioned. Air dry or throw them in the dryer if you want.

HK #17

Feedback

#12 Beer leaguer

Beer leaguer

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:08 PM

Just a tip ppl who are gonna wash n soak their old school gloves like the leather material gx n so on with sub graphics, don't! I added small laundry detergent in warm water and let them soak. 5 min some of the lettering came off.

Good for stitched logos n cuffs but be carefull!

#13 robferrari33

robferrari33

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:37 PM

I buy this detergent stuff at the hockey store i work at, it comes in a little box. if you want ill take a pic of it for you but all i wash is insides of shinnys, elbow pads, girdle/pants, shoulder pads, socks, jock, etc.  If you put the whole box in that usually runs smoothly through the washer and dryer.

As for helmet, skates, gloves, and outsides of shinnys. I buy spray, spray them down a ton and let them sit outside for a good 3-4 hours maybe more depending on if i remember theyre out there. Usually gets all the stink out of them for a while.

Every few months ill take it to one of those places that like cleans all equipment with water vapor and kill all the bacteria or whatever they do (im pretty sure everyone knows what theyre called) they do wonders. 

Hope this helped

Always looking for any cool 14" CCM CLs

#14 DField56

DField56
  • LocationSan Jose

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:09 AM

i just washed my stuff this past weekend.

put my elbows, shins, shoulders, girdle in the tub with warm/hot water and clorox bleach for about 10 minutes just dunking and swishing around.

aired out outside int he shade. stuf has never been cleaner.

My Feedback

Always interested in Sharks gear

#15 sierrawhiskeygolf

sierrawhiskeygolf
  • LocationT-Dot

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:43 AM

take it to the car wash. 

seriously.

the kind where you spray was your own car. clip the pads on those big things you use to clean your car mats. high pressure spray gets the shins and elbows super clean, have even done the tongues of my skates this way, i skate barefoot and the tongues get really full of sweat. helmet too. just water and pressure and the gear comes out very clean. 

#16 modny123

modny123
  • LocationHamilton Ontario

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:17 AM

hit it with the tri-color foam

and wet tire shine after on the skates for swag

forecheck backcheck paycheque

My eBay feedback

@emodny on twitter

@emodny on instagram

Golden Horshoe Dangles Crew

#17 Nero

Nero
  • LocationOttawa, ON

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:31 AM

During the season I try keeping my car as fresh as I can. Airing out my liners/insoles after every ice time, taking the liner out and putting it in the washer after every week or two. Then during Christmas Break and End of Season I go to get my gear done at Hockey Wash (70$ each time).

LTB:

• Detroit Red Wings Speedwick L
  • Black Warrior Franchises 14"
  • Martin Erat Stick

#18 TokenGoon

TokenGoon
  • LocationFinland

Posted 05 December 2016 - 03:16 AM

Two hours in bathtub and ten years of blood, sweat and tears are gone.

Before
KacYFnnh.jpg

After
qopnIA3h.jpg

#19 flip12

flip12
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:09 AM

Two hours in bathtub and ten years of blood, sweat and tears are gone.

Before

After

Looks great. Did you use any soap or just water?

#20 TokenGoon

TokenGoon
  • LocationFinland

Posted 05 December 2016 - 09:55 AM

Looks great. Did you use any soap or just water?

Just basic laundry detergent and soft brush