Photo

Fishbowl? Duster or Not Duster?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Trumanperro

Trumanperro

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:18 AM

As I approach the big 30 and I get into the corporate world I'm realizing that I'd like to keep my chiclets in tact.  However, I'm so used to using my visor and I had a couple close calls.  Back in the days of when I was required to use full face protection I used a fishbowl.  I want to use a cage but I'm not sure how i'll adapt and a fishbowl now a days is considered a faux pas.  I play both Ice and roller right now.

Has anyone here made that adjustment?

How long was the transition and how much does it affect your play?

If I use a fishbowl for Roller and Ice will it be considered "duster" material?

#2 Beezy28

Beezy28

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:23 AM

Fishbowls are cool.

#3 bretwilhite

bretwilhite
  • LocationPHL

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:28 AM

Fishbowl > birdcage.

On another note, I feel as though those of us who wear nothing up top are truly numbered.

#4 Mincy

Mincy
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:56 AM

I have some helmets with half shields, cages, and a couple with nothing on them at all; I don't notice any huge difference between them (other than having to wipe the half shield with a towel between shifts). Honestly I prefer going with no face protection at all, but I know it's just a matter of time until somebody shoots my eye out...

A couple seasons back I tried using a fishbowl and it didn't last more than a couple games, ended up trading it for a pair of socks. Felt like I would get hotter with it on and wiping sweat away was a pain in the dick. Personally, I think fishbowls are acceptable if you are under 18. Who cares what we/they think, go with what is best for you.

:up:

Side note: when playing beer league it really doesn't matter if you're a duster or not, the trick is not to take it so serious.

"Speak softly and carry a big stick"  Feedback

#5 akaSmall_Kitten

akaSmall_Kitten

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:14 AM

I play with nothing , always played with nothing ...
Broke my nose , so I had to wear a cage for a few weeks .....

In warm ups it was weird because I was trying to look through it.
Once the game started It was fine , not an issue at all.

#6 Grizzly

Grizzly
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:25 AM

Fishbowl > birdcage.

On another note, I feel as though those of us who wear nothing up top are truly numbered.

True. I couldn't wait to rip my cage off and half shields just become a burden most of the time. I've been hit in the face more than I'd like lately so I may go with a halter for a bit, but there's nothing like having nothing lol

NHL teams could care less that you want a pair of brand new Warrior Luxe/Franchise custom thumb loop super custom digi toilet paper soft palm with double added reinforced custom Warrior logo backhand padding gloves or a 17 flex double kreps curve upside down toe hook stick from your fav player/team. -Bakes

#3k gsdhead.gif

#7 ken6473

ken6473

2013 and 2015 S2K Playoff Challenge Champion

• PipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationKingston, ON

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:30 AM

I'm the opposite of you guys. The only time I'm not wearing a cage is when I'm reffing. I had eye surgery and dental work done as a kid, and I don't want the procedures to go to waste on an errant stick or puck. I don't notice the cage when I'm on the ice at all.

Reffing gives me a chance to at least protect myself if I'm about to get hit by a stick, puck or player.

Sometimes I tuck my junk between my legs and pretend to be a woman if that's what you meant?

#8 bretwilhite

bretwilhite
  • LocationPHL

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:40 AM

True. I couldn't wait to rip my cage off and half shields just become a burden most of the time. I've been hit in the face more than I'd like lately so I may go with a halter for a bit, but there's nothing like having nothing lol

Yep, def. same boat, Griz.

Do you wear a mouth guard? That's something I'm considering. I feel more responsible just saying that, at least.

The stupidity of siding against safety in our cases comes with the acceptance that any shots to the face are much-deserved and just part of what we do - an added paint brush swipe to the Picasso.

#9 FCB51

FCB51
  • LocationMontreal, QC

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:49 AM

I use to wear a visor off and on then I got an elbow to the face when I went without. After being bloodied and trying to rip the guys ear off in anger I realised I was the one putting myself in danger. I use a fishbowl or cage nowadays depending on the helmet and I'm actually a lot more mellow on the ice too lol.

#10 Grizzly

Grizzly
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:05 PM

No mouthguard either Bret. I know, I'm just asking for it lol

NHL teams could care less that you want a pair of brand new Warrior Luxe/Franchise custom thumb loop super custom digi toilet paper soft palm with double added reinforced custom Warrior logo backhand padding gloves or a 17 flex double kreps curve upside down toe hook stick from your fav player/team. -Bakes

#3k gsdhead.gif

#11 prhockey41

prhockey41
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:25 PM

i'm not really speaking on the style aspect of it, but honestly i think everyone over thinks the transition between anything, whether it be visor to cage, cage to visor, visor to nothing or whatever. i think you just get used to it really quickly and it's not that big of a deal.

WTB (longshots):

• Letang, Hossa, Yakupov, Datsyuk, Duchene, Kane, Karlsson, Ovi, Vanek, Hall, Gaborik, Malkin, Crosby, Kovalchuk, Lidstrom, RNH, Tavares, Landeskog gloves
  • Eberle, Kessel, Giroux, Ovi, Iginla stick

#12 Carson

Carson
  • LocationSoo Michigan

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:46 PM

The cages are local college team use are the bauers where the inside is painted black an the kids coming out of junior say they don't notice a a big difference so you could try one of those

#13 thinkingjack

thinkingjack
  • LocationTempe, AZ

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:12 PM

who cares, if you like the feel and fit of it, why not?

i personally hate cages, so a fishbowl would be better fitting to my vision, but i wear a visor, 

if i could find the bottom like the pros have like this i would be more than happy to use that with a visor, until then i guess its just a visor for me

So if someone has a way to do this, hit me up

f9336e597fbc890e300f6a706700b893.jpg?ve=

Feel free to check out my hockey reviews, or random stuff

#14 Trumanperro

Trumanperro

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:25 PM

i personally hate cages, so a fishbowl would be better fitting to my vision, but i wear a visor, 

if i could find the bottom like the pros have like this i would be more than happy to use that with a visor, until then i guess its just a visor for me

This is my solution too!  I wish I could have something like this.  Also solves the issue of that stupid chin cup!  Crosby is wearing it here but other examples the player doesn't have to wear one.

#15 Mincy

Mincy
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:26 PM

is he smelling his fingers?

:dunno:

"Speak softly and carry a big stick"  Feedback

#16 SnipinFest9

SnipinFest9
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:28 PM

is he smelling his fingers?
:dunno:

Testing out the smell of his gloves without actually putting his face is them ..

If you need Maple Leafs Gear do NOT PM me

#17 Grizzly

Grizzly
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:41 PM

Guys, he's wiping his tears. Give the guy a break.

#3k gsdhead.gif

#18 - M

- M

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:14 PM

d2-the-mighty-ducks-DI-22-DI-to-L8.jpg

If your bag has wheels, you don't.

#19 Grizzly

Grizzly
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:54 PM

<<<<<<<<Love it! Can't go wrong with that classic combo

#3k gsdhead.gif

#20 Scdp99

Scdp99

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:08 PM

I have one of these but prefer my reakt cage. I found I was hotter with this setup than the cage. It took me two years to really not notice the cage. I bought mine from the caps equipment sale. All they did wa cut down a fishbowl but I am not sure how. Mine did not have a chin cup