Photo

Friction Tape

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Nero

Nero
  • LocationOttawa, ON

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:04 AM

What are the pros and cons from Friction Tape? Any remarkable differences?  

LTB:

• Detroit Red Wings Speedwick L
  • Black Warrior Franchises 14"
  • Martin Erat Stick

#2 topsnipe

topsnipe
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:40 AM

http://video.canadie...=200043&lang=en

#3 Monty22

Monty22

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:46 AM

It's a bit thicker and heavier than regular tape. Adhesive is on both sides, but it only sticks well to itself. Does provide a softer feel , especially if you have a "pingy" blade. Save yourself a couple of bucks and get it at the hardware store.

#4 Thebig

Thebig
  • Locationgatineau-ottawa

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:31 AM

Yeah where do you get that tape. Does it have a special brand or name at the hardware store?

Is it cheaper then hockey tape

LOOKING FOR

Sticks : pro stock ccm cl midnight,apx,nexus, older T1 sticks( lefty,grip,87-95 flex,p92-p88-p14 similar curve)

shell : black XL to fit over huslters

pants : warrior hustler black XL any team

#5 Monty22

Monty22

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:13 AM

Check the electrical supply aisle. It's typically cheaper than data shop and is the same stuff.

#6 Thebig

Thebig
  • Locationgatineau-ottawa

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:31 PM

What is this tape used for usually?

LOOKING FOR

Sticks : pro stock ccm cl midnight,apx,nexus, older T1 sticks( lefty,grip,87-95 flex,p92-p88-p14 similar curve)

shell : black XL to fit over huslters

pants : warrior hustler black XL any team

#7 Junkyard Athletic

Junkyard Athletic
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:47 PM

It's a bit thicker and heavier than regular tape. Adhesive is on both sides, but it only sticks well to itself. Does provide a softer feel , especially if you have a "pingy" blade. Save yourself a couple of bucks and get it at the hardware store.

The adhesive technically isn't on both sides.  The cloth is actually impregnated with a rubber-based adhesive which causes the tape to be sticky on both sides.

Yeah where do you get that tape. Does it have a special brand or name at the hardware store?

Is it cheaper then hockey tape

Most hockey stores have it, although, some hardware stores carry it.  It will be the smaller guys like Ace or True Value Hardware that carry this, not The Home Depot or Lowes.

What is this tape used for usually?

Friction was used by electricians until electrical tape came along and replaced it at a much lower price.

#threadcloser

#8 Cosmic

Cosmic

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:47 PM

Pros: Offers adhesion between blade and puck

Cons: Absorbs water, and ends up soggy by the end of a session

I use white cloth tape + Blade Butter. I get a nice puck feel, and it repels water. A bit more expensive, but you don't need Rockefeller money printing presses to afford it over the friction tape.

"It's not cool to take damage." - Floyd

#9 Nero

Nero
  • LocationOttawa, ON

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:31 AM

Pros: Offers adhesion between blade and puck
Cons: Absorbs water, and ends up soggy by the end of a session

I use white cloth tape + Blade Butter. I get a nice puck feel, and it repels water. A bit more expensive, but you don't need Rockefeller money printing presses to afford it over the friction tape.

Thank you! I've been using good old Costco Tape and Sex Wax for years now but I'm looking to mix it up a little.

LTB:

• Detroit Red Wings Speedwick L
  • Black Warrior Franchises 14"
  • Martin Erat Stick