Photo

when to retire a stick?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JoeT

JoeT

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:05 AM

Im down to my last new stick and im starting to scout out new sticks and I think i used my sticks past there prime. For example the blades became weak and the pop started to go and the flex became weaker. I am currently using ai9's. The shafts are absolutely beat and the heel is chipped to shit but no cracks or breaks but the blades seem to break down the quickest. I would usually use a stick until it breaks but these seemed to hold up well. But I have been noticing my one time snap shots close to net have been going wide consistently. The last thing I want to do is blame it on the stick but now im thinking the hard pass to my tape is causing the blade to flex there for the missed shots. When do you guys retire your sticks?  

#2 Brian

Brian

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:10 AM

Cracked or flexible blade at the least

#3 Mincy

Mincy
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:11 AM

If I can hear the blade cracking (crunching or whatever you call it) when I check to see if it's still solid, then it's time to go.

"Speak softly and carry a big stick"  Feedback

#4 weskuz

weskuz
  • LocationPA

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:32 AM

As soon as I can flex the blade with my hand I get rid of it. I have a weird OCD habit of checking my blade before every face off now.
-Looking for Warrior Goligoski gloves
-Looking for Florida Everblades gear

#5 Skyline_BNR34

Skyline_BNR34
  • LocationRaleigh, North Carolina

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:34 AM

I retire them when they break.

#6 NovaHands

NovaHands
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:09 AM

I retire them when they break.

#7 ibeck

ibeck
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:00 PM

If I can hear the blade cracking (crunching or whatever you call it) when I check to see if it's still solid, then it's time to go.

+1 or if they break

"When you have and you love it, you can go all the time"-Alex Ovechkin

"The difference between an amateur and a pro is that an amateur does it when he wants to do it, a pro does it because he wants to do it" -Ryan Walter

Member #657

#8 MikeO

MikeO
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:14 PM

+2, I can normally feel it in my slap shots....they just don't have the same velocity...some start to flutter....time for it to go on the rack, used for stick handling in my garage. 

#9 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:27 PM

Normally its after I smashed it against a post. :LOL:

j/k

I wait till the blade is too soft to use or till they break.

Follow us: Instagram: http://instagram.com/sports2k_com#
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Stock-Hockey-Sports2Kcom/151010068304116

#10 stnly07

stnly07

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:38 PM

I take mostly snap shots so if I feel the shot velocity isn't as fast I usually flex the blade with my hand if I hear a cracking noise I usually retire the stick from games and use it for practices. 

#11 Mattcoco35

Mattcoco35
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:57 PM

I give her a good lean on and if it get's to easy to bend, then time to go. That being said I'm a 100 flex guy. So typically they a tough to bend just by leaning on em. I've never got a stick to a soft blade though, snaped, or slashed in half long before that.

And what trumps all of that is if I walk past a nice new stick on sale at the LHS, that typically means your old one is done for!

Founder of HockeyGearReviews.com | Hockey Gear Reviews...By Hockey Players | Post your reviews today!