Photo

How to ship sticks within the US for under $10?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 BostonBruins

BostonBruins
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:33 AM

Hey guys,

I have heard of some members shipping sticks for under $10 within the US. I know most use USPS and you have to print the shipping label online but I was wondering what you guys put for dimensions etc..

Also have any of you had a stick returned because you didn't pay enough postage?

Everytime I send a stick within the US it costs over $20-25 because usps charges a ballon rate.

Thanks for the help.
Always looking for BOSTON BRUINS gear!

Looking for Tampa Bay Lightning 3rd Set. Practice Jersey in Size 56, Size medium shell, 13 inch bauer/apx gloves.

#2 mc88

mc88
  • LocationOregon

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:17 AM

Don't use a box.

1. I protect the blade with cardboard in a sandwich fashion (or V-shaped fashion).

2. I then do a base layer of construction paper down the entire shaft--by taking two strips of large construction paper and wrapping the shaft in sections: End of shaft to middle and middle of shaft to just before blade begins (with some overlap in the middle)--as tight as possible.

3. Then, I do two black garbage bags: Starting from the blade-end first, I place the blade end inside the corner of the bag, then pull and twist the bag up the shaft to keep as tight as possible.

4. Then, I create a spiral pattern of hockey stick tape from blade end to end of bag (usually ends toward the middle of the shaft). Again, keeping the bag tight to the blade/shaft as possible.

5. Then, I do another garbage bag from the butt-end of shaft toward the end of the of the other bag (wherever it stopped, since most bags aren't big enough to accommodate an entire stick). 

6. Again, I create a spiral pattern of hockey stick tape from butt-end of the shaft to end of previous bag (should be very little overlap--just enough to hide the construction paper layer).

7. Print out 2 labels online--if you have a Paypal account, use this link: Create Paypal Shipping Label

8. Cut out a label and attach it to the blade-end (there should be plenty of flat space on either side if you wrapped the blade with cardboard correctly)

9. Cut out the tracking barcode box from the other label and attach it to the middle of the shaft for added assurance (just in case their scanning machine can't read the tracking label, this label will work--from experience, if the label isn't super flat, their scanners have a hard time reading the barcode)

Weight/Dimensions must be under these thresholds for Priority Mail 2-Day shipping:

• Weight: 2lbs
  • Length: 70in
  • Height: 3 in
  • Width: 10 in
  • Girth: 20 in

Anything above these thresholds, and you'll have to ship it via Standard Post (which has it's own thresholds, but I've never had to use it).

So far, I've shipped between 5-10 sticks this way and haven't had any issues. In fact, most people "have fun" taking it off because it's pain in the ass getting all it off in under 10 minutes.

What can I say? Built like a tank!

629C17ED-13AD-4C46-A239-0130507DC1EB_zps

971487F1-B42D-48F2-AA60-1E7DB220FEC9_zps

#3 spudrock512

spudrock512
  • LocationCentral Texas

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:31 AM

MC88

I guess I have this to look forward when the stick arrives today! :headbang:

#4 mc88

mc88
  • LocationOregon

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:43 AM

MC88

I guess I have this to look forward when the stick arrives today! :headbang:

You bet your sweet-ass bud! Although yours won't have a construction paper layer, instead it'll have the original clear plastic it was shipped in plus the black garbage bags on top.

Once you get it, take a picture of it when it arrives and post it here!

#5 Mincy

Mincy
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:05 PM

^how much does this method cost to ship though?

"Speak softly and carry a big stick"  Feedback

#6 mc88

mc88
  • LocationOregon

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:08 PM

^how much does this method cost to ship though?

About $2.50 for tape (1 stick uses about 1/4 to a 1/3 of the roll) and whatever garbage bags cost, which isn't a huge loss. As far as what USPS charges, it'll depend on the location, but usu. between $5.55-$9.97 WITHIN THE U.S. ONLY.

#7 Mincy

Mincy
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:10 PM

Nice, good to know 👍

"Speak softly and carry a big stick"  Feedback

#8 Steelnation248

Steelnation248

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:31 PM

I just wrap it in bubble wrap and tape with packaging tape. Less steps, more padding. Cheap and easy.

#9 BostonBruins

BostonBruins
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:56 PM

Shipped mine for $9.97 Wooohoo
Always looking for BOSTON BRUINS gear!

Looking for Tampa Bay Lightning 3rd Set. Practice Jersey in Size 56, Size medium shell, 13 inch bauer/apx gloves.

#10 Nickyeyes

Nickyeyes
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:30 PM

I just wrap it in bubble wrap and tape with packaging tape. Less steps, more padding. Cheap and easy.

Same here.
ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ANYTHING NEW JERSEY DEVILS!!!

#11 spudrock512

spudrock512
  • LocationCentral Texas

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:05 PM

You bet your sweet-ass bud! Although yours won't have a construction paper layer, instead it'll have the original clear plastic it was shipped in plus the black garbage bags on top.

Once you get it, take a picture of it when it arrives and post it here!

Didn't show up today, should be here tomorrow. I'll post pics of the shipping.

#12 mc88

mc88
  • LocationOregon

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:07 PM

Didn't show up today, should be here tomorrow. I'll post pics of the shipping.

Second time USPS has dropped the ball on me this month. Sorry about that!

#13 spudrock512

spudrock512
  • LocationCentral Texas

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:36 AM

OK, here is how Matt (MC88) shipped me a stick from Cali to Iowa for $8.58.

629C17ED-13AD-4C46-A239-0130507DC1EB_zps

After some fun with the scissors here is the result after getting all the packing material off.

971487F1-B42D-48F2-AA60-1E7DB220FEC9_zps

The stick arrived in great shape - just be careful when cutting so you don't damage the stick, but it is a great way to do it.

Thanks Matt!!!

#14 mc88

mc88
  • LocationOregon

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:55 AM

Thanks for the pictures, bud. I appreciate it! Damn, you got some surgical hands with those scissors, haha. You didn't want to take the 10 minute knife challenge? :rofl:

That's how I've shipped sticks for awhile now. Takes a little time, a little more effort, and a little patience, but in the end, it eliminates any need for extra packing materials that you can't just find around the house.

#15 jonesy9020

jonesy9020

Posted 23 March 2015 - 01:26 PM

Not to knock this process at all, as long term it'll still probably save you money vs. using a box, but just wanted to share my experience with a stick I sold for $125 breaking a foot down from the top of the shaft last month. I had to refund the ebay customer the full purchase price and only got $50 back from priority mail included insurance. If you're using this method, consider buying extra insurance (up to the purchase price of the stick) or know that there is a risk of mishandling and breakage.

#16 cthockey

cthockey

Posted 28 March 2015 - 10:56 AM

There is no full proof way to safely ship a stick. We order custom stick boxes 9x2x68 to ship all our sticks and we stick get a few back every now and then due to breakage. I can't figure out if its a pissed off postal worker or if that box gets snagged up in a conveyer belt because of its size. We originally use to use black poly bags and cardboard around the blade but got a few too many back broke that we made the switch to the custom boxes. 

They cost about $2-3 but its built into the shipping costs. Some posts offices will accept the boxes as they are. Other break out the measuring tape and try to charge a ridiculous "ballon" charge. The only way to keep it below the "ballon" charges according to USPS is to just ship in the black poly bags.