Photo

Sheild vs No Shield

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Wheelin89

Wheelin89

Posted 06 January 2015 - 04:27 PM

and that still doesn't make you put on the cage? lol damn

few weeks ago my teammate got a full out clapper to the face. the puck dented his cage...

I haven't worn a cage for close to 12 years. A good part of those 12 years I wore nothing.

#22 HateFilledHeart

HateFilledHeart
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 06 January 2015 - 04:57 PM

Well i tried out the Oakley pro straight with vents. it was fine, just had to have my shammy handy for inbetween shifts was all. Way better than a cage

#23 dirtysouthgentleman

dirtysouthgentleman

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:09 PM

i also always wear a mouthguard - ive seen a few guys take pucks/sticks up high and the guys with mouthguards in keep their chicklets most of the time

#24 Stothers86

Stothers86
  • LocationToronto Ontario

Posted 06 January 2015 - 06:05 PM

I wear the bauer dlx100 (the same as the chl) that mounts on front as well as the sides. I like it more then the other styles cuz it stays in place. I've got a few pucks and sticks to face including one just under my lip that needed 6 stitches. And a small cut near my left eye. That I had a pro straight oakley visor on, and the stick pushed up the visor and just caught me. I just can't get comfortable with a cage on. I think I'm going to try a fishbowl one day. I know I should wear a cage but I just don't like it. I also always wear a mouth guard and could never play with nothing.

#25 hyprlte

hyprlte
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:49 AM

Switched to a cage a few months ago.  Since then Ive been beaned 4 good times in the face with pucks and sticks.  It sucks having to get used to a cage again but in retrospect its just not worth dealing with facial injuries.  Like people say here, it isn't necessarily the lower level players - I would say its the high end players who rifle a point shot low and it deflects up to your face.

#26 hockeymutt

hockeymutt

Posted 18 January 2015 - 03:40 PM

I was shield for for a few years then went no shield cause I knew everyone I was playing with the most recent back to a cage cause I felt like it... Sure enough since going cage it seems like it's just a fucking magnet for pucks and sticks.. Taken one shot to the cage that was so hard it hurt my jaw through the cage.. Pretty sure I would have a broken jaw right now if I was wearing a shield. I have excellent health insurance with no deductible for dental and regular health and it's still just not worth it.

#27 shoeshine boy

shoeshine boy
  • LocationDecatur, GA

Posted 18 January 2015 - 04:39 PM

I had one guy on my team that was a half shield holdout. the week before Christmas I took a slapshot to the ear that required 4 stitches even with ear protectors. his wife saw the pics on Facebook and bought him a cage for Christmas when she realized how easy it would be for him to take a puck to the face. he now feels it's the smartest gift he ever got.

always looking for non Reebok L & XL shells......

#28 nicktsigos

nicktsigos

Posted 19 January 2015 - 03:21 AM

Bauer Re-akt cage now, I broke my orbital when a puck deflected off the net and hit me under my visor as I was skating off to the side of the net.  I had a hard time with it at first but now I'm pretty used to it, I will occasionally go back to visor here and there but generally keep the cage on

#29 ridethepine

ridethepine
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:05 AM

I made the switch from a shield to a cage last week, it was for a rec league game.  I went with the Re-Akt cage and couldn't be happier.  I can say that "in the moment" I really did not notice the cage.  Away from the play, sure, of course you can tell the cage is there but it doesn't matter at that point.  I felt it had no negative impact on my game (if you can call it that).  Even if the cage only very slightly hinders my vision, I'll take that any day over risking a stick or puck in the face.

I paired the Re-Akt cage with an Easton S19 helmet and the combo is insanely light.

To Avs, or Avs not.  There is no question.