Easton Mako skates

Easton Mako skates

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#21 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 06 March 2015 - 07:55 AM

Has any one had any issues warranty wise with these since they upgraded them? The reason I ask is because I have found a pair for 520 bucks but fear that I have only Manufacturers warranty so no place to go for service if necessary. Other thought is Local place offers 30 day guarantee for performance.  Difference of 150 bucks in price but is the comfort of being covered if something goes wrong not a big deal?

#22 flyers10

flyers10

Posted 07 March 2015 - 01:33 PM

It only took me a few skates to adjust so you should be good to go pretty quick. One thing that got my attention pretty quick was not to be lazy when you go to skate backwards or switch back. The pitch difference in the skate you will catch an edge, and in my case look like a moron. Haha

Haha, that happened to me too.

#23 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 08 March 2015 - 09:16 AM

Hopefully that doesn't happen. Picked up a pair last night and I have a game tonight. Wanted to skate Pickup first but not the case. Will post how it goes later on tonight. Thanks for the help guys.

#24 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 08 March 2015 - 10:42 PM

They took a little while to get used to and honestly thought I as in for a long night at first. Got used to the forward pitch and also realized I didn't have to have them tightened down so tight. Overall I would say I am happy with my purchase and as they break in and I get more comfortable in them with more ice time these will be the right skate for me.

#25 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 04 April 2015 - 10:22 PM

Those of you that have the Makos do you have stock or custom footbeds inside?

#26 FCB51

FCB51
  • LocationMontreal, QC

Posted 04 April 2015 - 10:28 PM

Normally I use yellow feet, but I'm fine with the stock footbeds on the Mako 2s.

#27 Iceclone91

Iceclone91
  • LocationFort Smith, AR

Posted 05 April 2015 - 12:45 AM

I use the gray super feet. Think they are a lot like the yellow. The gray were just the lowest profile I could find in the stores here.

#28 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 05 April 2015 - 08:48 PM

I believe I need more arch support. I wear a full customfootbed in my ski boots and my feet are never sore inthem. They baked them again and had me stand this time but not sure you can make up for arch space unless you do custom footbeds. I will give them another couple of skates and see what happens. Other than that they are super comfortable and I am getting used to them very well.

#29 Iceclone91

Iceclone91
  • LocationFort Smith, AR

Posted 05 April 2015 - 11:45 PM

You might try a heat gun or hair dryer and see if you can get a buddy to help you. That way you can heat the arches and they can press them in for you. I've had to punch my skates a few times and actually need to hit another spot again.

#30 PaulKariya

PaulKariya
  • LocationBC

Posted 06 April 2015 - 01:16 AM

I believe I need more arch support. I wear a full customfootbed in my ski boots and my feet are never sore inthem. They baked them again and had me stand this time but not sure you can make up for arch space unless you do custom footbeds. I will give them another couple of skates and see what happens. Other than that they are super comfortable and I am getting used to them very well.

I would highly recommend CCM/Curex's high arch support insoles. They're pricey at $40-60,but definetly worth it. My skates feel like slippers and I'm often in my skates for 3+ hours.

#31 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 06 April 2015 - 07:36 AM

You might try a heat gun or hair dryer and see if you can get a buddy to help you. That way you can heat the arches and they can press them in for you. I've had to punch my skates a few times and actually need to hit another spot again.

I get the moldability but I don't see how you can take up space with the current footbed. The rest of the boot is perfect.

#32 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 06 April 2015 - 07:37 AM

I would highly recommend CCM/Curex's high arch support insoles. They're pricey at $40-60,but definetly worth it. My skates feel like slippers and I'm often in my skates for 3+ hours.

I am going to give them a couple of skates more then reevaluate. Thanks for the suggestion.

#33 Zooz

Zooz

Posted 06 April 2015 - 03:17 PM

Anyone have any idea on what the size translation would be coming from the Vapor line? Currently wear a 7EE in a X7.0 and looking into makos.

#34 kc83

kc83

Posted 06 April 2015 - 03:41 PM

hey zooz

i went from a size 6.5 D vapor apx to 7.0 Mako D, i found the makos to be not as wide as the apx D, which my feet loved.  

#35 Zooz

Zooz

Posted 06 April 2015 - 03:51 PM

Thanks kc. It seems like the width is comparable, but the length seems to be a half size larger in the Makos from the sounds of a couple replies in this thread.

#36 kc83

kc83

Posted 06 April 2015 - 03:59 PM

i think the perfect fit would have been a custom 6.75 but the 6.5 was too small and the 7 gave me a little bit of negative space... but they fit like a charm... the skates did only last me just over a year of skating on them 2-3 times a week... if i could afford to buy new skates every year i would go back to the mako's for sure

#37 Zooz

Zooz

Posted 06 April 2015 - 10:01 PM

Interesting. Anyone have any experience with durability issues?

#38 - M

- M

Posted 06 April 2015 - 11:02 PM

If you are wearing Superfeet then having a space in the arch area is ok.

The CCMs didn't work for me.  They are too thick the plastic in the arch area is uncomfortable.  I skate mostly in my Graf Sidas but have had success in the yellow Superfeet as well.

Interesting. Anyone have any experience with durability issues?

The most  common issue I've seen is the outsole separating from the toe box.  I've seen three pairs locally, all outside of the warranty period.

If your bag has wheels, you don't.

#39 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:24 AM

hey zooz

i went from a size 6.5 D vapor apx to 7.0 Mako D, i found the makos to be not as wide as the apx D, which my feet loved.

Came off of APXs in a 6 and my Makos are a 6.5. Half size up as well.

#40 flyers10

flyers10

Posted 07 April 2015 - 10:32 AM

Anyone have any idea on what the size translation would be coming from the Vapor line? Currently wear a 7EE in a X7.0 and looking into makos.

Went from an 8D in an x60 to an 8D in the Mako. Try the 7D AND 7EE. Due to their moldability some have been able to use a D instead of EE. If you need wider, go with the EE but don't go longer to gain little extra width.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Easton Mako skates