Photo

Settled on Jetspeed's...300 or 290?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 mjpisat

mjpisat

Posted 06 August 2015 - 06:23 PM

Thinking about getting the ccm ribcor 48k or jetspeed 300 or jetspeed 290.

Tried on the ribcor and jetspeed 300. It's a toss up to which felt/fit better. Somewhat similar but jetspeed def had better heel lock. Can't tell much without baking and skating though.

Do either of these have a pitch similar to makos? Trying to figure which will be the easier transition.

#2 th6252

th6252

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:06 PM

Tried on the ribcor and jetspeed 300. It's a toss up to which felt/fit better. Somewhat similar but jetspeed def had better heel lock. Can't tell much without baking and skating though.

Do either of these have a pitch similar to makos? Trying to figure which will be the easier transition.

had a chance to skate in the jetspeeds and tried out the mako m5's on their 30 day trial promo.  imo, the pitch is very different.  jetspeed pitch is similar to vapor...again, imo.  used to skating in graf and had no adjustment period to mako, but felt on my heels on the jetspeeds.

#3 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 07 August 2015 - 06:22 PM

What might your reason be for changingfrom Makos? Just curious because I have been having an issue with chatter on hard quick stops and have had sharpening changed 6 times already. Am going to try to get the steel flattened out in the back to alleviate the pitch and have them radiused to 11 or 12 from 9. If that works then they will warranty steel and put stepsteel in fo me and do the same specs on new steel. Hope it works because I do like the comfort and flexibility of the boot I think that the combo of forward lean on both boot and steel may be too much however. I came from vapor apxs and pretty much extreme opposite.

#4 Fooj

Fooj
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 07 August 2015 - 11:36 PM

yeah the pitch on the makos is extreme so youre gonna need heel lifts on your new skates or just get used to a more normal pitch.  A customer wanted to get his mako steel pitched even more forward but my Jig's more forward setting wasnt even as forward as the pitch already on it.....unreal.  I actually really like the pitch of the CXN, considering adding them to my grafs 

IG: Fooj Media

#5 flip12

flip12
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark

Posted 08 August 2015 - 03:17 AM

yeah the pitch on the makos is extreme so youre gonna need heel lifts on your new skates or just get used to a more normal pitch.  A customer wanted to get his mako steel pitched even more forward but my Jig's more forward setting wasnt even as forward as the pitch already on it.....unreal.  I actually really like the pitch of the CXN, considering adding them to my grafs 

What holder/runner setup do you have on your Grafs now?

#6 Fooj

Fooj
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 08 August 2015 - 03:24 AM

i go one step over sized(size 7.5 with 272) cobra 5000, 9 ft radius with a 1/8" heel lift.  Im considering putting a thicker one in or just trying the cxn

IG: Fooj Media

#7 Cosmic

Cosmic

Posted 08 August 2015 - 05:34 AM

Curious as to why you would want to switch? I have been in Mako 1 and now Mako 2, and the only boot I could fathom getting into would be a VH. Tried on a bunch of skates just for the heck of it, and nothing felt close to as good as the Mako. 

"It's not cool to take damage." - Floyd

#8 althoma1

althoma1
  • LocationToronto

Posted 08 August 2015 - 09:33 AM

Curious as to why you would want to switch? I have been in Mako 1 and now Mako 2, and the only boot I could fathom getting into would be a VH. Tried on a bunch of skates just for the heck of it, and nothing felt close to as good as the Mako. 

+1. After using skates based on speed skating technologies like the KORs and now the Makos the only other skate I could see going to beside the Mako II is the VH. Other skates feel so much bulkier/boxier than the Mako when you try them on side by side. When I bought the Makos I tried on Supremes, Nexus and RBK high end skates and the Makos felt like svelt running shoes and the other skates felt boxy and bulky in comparison (nowhere near the wrap). The Makos even improved upon the KORs (even more responsive to heat and a comfortable ergonomic toe box).

#9 flip12

flip12
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark

Posted 08 August 2015 - 10:10 AM

Graf's lower cut boots are similar in feeling, at least in my experience comparing them with MLX.

i go one step over sized(size 7.5 with 272) cobra 5000, 9 ft radius with a 1/8" heel lift.  Im considering putting a thicker one in or just trying the cxn

That's aggressive pitch, damn!

I'm hoping to get back on Cobras finally. I find my full speed limited on LS2 or MLX runners and steel. I've thought about heel lifts, but I also like the stiffness of the Cobras.

I was curious about you switching to CXN because of the weight distribution. I feel noticeably sluggish on MLX holders compared to LS2. I'm not sure why, but my thought was it could be because of the fastener at the toe as well as the heel. I had a similar feeling on Mission's anchor holders with fasteners in the front and back. On the other hand, I think the MLX holders I have are maybe a 306 instead of 296, because my 296 LS2's are a bit shorter, so maybe it's really just that.

#10 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 08 August 2015 - 03:37 PM

Had the work done today and will test them out tomorrow night. Hopefully success.

#11 mjpisat

mjpisat

Posted 09 August 2015 - 07:21 PM

Ok, so, I went from $200 vapors that didn't fit me right to makos. Took no time at all getting used to makos coming from vapors. So I hope that going to jetspeed or ribcor won't be too bad if the pitch on them is like a vapor.

Reason for switching, makos are getting beat and trying to find better fit. My foot is hard to find a good fit. A 6.5 Bauer is too long for me but 6 is too short and my instep (not arch) has me busting out of the top of a size 6 vapor or supreme. Nexus wasn't bad at size 6, will revisit.

I really like the mako but again, 6.5 was too long. I've been in 6's but too be honest don't think they are correct size. A little too short and foot busting out of the top. Feet get cold but I know that's circulation cuz tied too tight. If I don't tie tight enough my ankle is not locked in.

So, I tried on jetspeed and ribcor. They are definitely longer and deeper than Bauer in same size. Actually, size 6 is almost too long. But volume feels great. Jetspeed heel lock is awesome. Going to take advantage of free demo. Wish I could do same with ribcor. Both felt pretty good in store so we'll see.

#12 althoma1

althoma1
  • LocationToronto

Posted 09 August 2015 - 07:59 PM

Switching to try to find a better fit makes sense. Demos are ideal because there's only so much you can tell in store; taking advantage of that is a good idea.

#13 mjpisat

mjpisat

Posted 12 August 2015 - 04:28 PM

Took a pic of makos on me. You can see my foot busting out the top and how the eyelet part doesn't wrap right around the top of my foot.

736CC0B1-7F54-42B3-BC88-C384E1C29A93.jpg

#14 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 12 August 2015 - 04:49 PM

That is how my APXs in D width looked from top view. Trying a EE might help.

#15 mjpisat

mjpisat

Posted 12 August 2015 - 04:55 PM

I think it's more so volume vs depth

#16 althoma1

althoma1
  • LocationToronto

Posted 12 August 2015 - 05:17 PM

Yes, it looks like the skate is a bit shallow for the middle portion of your foot - it doesn't look too bad, but it's a little shallow in that area. With that said, it looks OK toward the bend in the skate (around the 3rd and 4th eyelet) - the depth there is more important than the depth lower. If there's a problem around the 3rd or 4th eyelet this can cause lace bite issues, but it's less of an issue below the 4th eyelet if it's not causing any pain or discomfort.

The Ribcores and RBK series that came before them are some of the shallowest skates out there and might actually be worse from a depth perspective. Vapors are also shallower skates. Tacks, Nexus, and the old RBZ line will be deeper skates. Supremes and Jetspeeds will have more depth than a Vapor or Ribcore, but not as much as a Nexus or RBZ.

So if it's a depth problem you're looking to correct I don't think Ribcore (or Vapor) skates will be the answer.

If you're having heel lock issues with the Mako, I doubt the Nexus will work well as they have a wider heel. It seems like the Jetspeeds may be a good option because you said they locked your heel in well and they have a bit more depth than skates like the Ribcore and Vapor. Getting to demo them is a great way to see if they work with no risk.

#17 mjpisat

mjpisat

Posted 12 August 2015 - 05:35 PM

Third or fourth eyelet counting from the toe box? It's volume, plus they feel a lirttle short.

Will try ribcor and jetspeed on again with pics this time.

#18 althoma1

althoma1
  • LocationToronto

Posted 12 August 2015 - 06:37 PM

Third or fourth eyelet counting from the top.

#19 mjpisat

mjpisat

Posted 13 August 2015 - 03:13 PM

First pic is my right foot in jetspeed with stock footbed.

Next two are left and right foot with medium arch ccm insoles

1ABFE481-F36F-4E22-B8D8-09CBCC6A72CC.jpg

B64C807F-BE8A-4181-BDD3-BD4F5CCC585E.jpg

B7C79BBE-29FE-4A4A-A02C-B3F02035A1F8.jpg

#20 mjpisat

mjpisat

Posted 13 August 2015 - 03:17 PM

I feel like they even look a little more natural fitting than the makos. Tried on ribcor and they seem to be too shallow. Tried on nexus and too shallow. These were all size 6.

Going to demo jetspeed. I still need to try on Tacks and Bauer supreme 180. Maybe even vapor x800 are to see if is a width issue vs depth.

Am I being OCD or is it possible my foot is hard to find a good fit? I think for a size 6 I have a high instep which makes me bust out the top.