Photo

Skate Help

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 11 August 2015 - 07:16 PM

Hi all, I posted this in the Easton Mako section but thought this may get a better response. I am on Easton Makos and since I bought them I have been having problems with chatter during aggressive stops. It feels like I am going across a rumble strip. They are OK when stopping more upright but at full speed stops with an aggressive angle on the skates that is when the chatter or chop comes into play. Have been sharpened at 5/8, 9/16, 3/4, then flattened out to around a 12 radius and had some of the back of the blade taken off a even the blade is pitched forward. Does anyone have any ideas to solve this other than changing out holders and steel? If I had to I would because the skates are super comfortable but any thoughts would be helpful. If it helps I am around 5'7 and about 155 lbs. Thanks in advance, Dave

#2 mc88

mc88
  • LocationOregon

Posted 16 August 2015 - 12:27 AM

Sounds like technique. But I could give you a better "diagnosis" if I saw a video of your stopping.

Chattering usually comes from these areas:

- Legs are too straight==>bend your knees more (straight legs cause too much angle on the blade too soon)

- Too much angle on the runner too soon== >lift your weight up, move your feet sideways, then sit and lean back; you'll be using lean angle and your weight to stop instead of trying to use JUST your leg muscles

- Weight is too far over the toes or heel==>bring it back towards the ball of the foot 

- Runners are too sharp for your weight==>try a flatter radius (I'm around your height and weight, and I prefer a 5/8ths ROH; I could go all the way down to a 3/8" before I start to get chatter)

Imagine, if you will, taking a knife and cutting a very thin layer off of the top of a cheese block. If you add too much blade angle and try to take off too much, the knife will get stuck and won't budge--since you have forward momentum on the ice and a somewhat correct posture, instead of the runners getting stuck in the ice and you falling over, they'll just skip. If you start off by pressing too hard on the knife, it'll bend and start to dig into the cheese on an arc--again, the runners will dig too fast and too soon and cause it to skip across the ice. So what you want is a combination of correct angle, correct sharpness of the blade, smooth entry (not too hard, not too soft) and an even weight distribution. 

Great video on quick, aggressive hockey stops (notice the thin to thick cone shaped scrape mark on the ice--that's a combination of all 4: correct angle, correct sharpness for the weight, smooth entry and a transition into an even weight distribution across the runner, meanwhile incorrect "choppy" scrape marks will look like a "Z" pattern on the ice):

https://www.youtube....nQj4u7EI&t=5m0s (inside edge)

https://www.youtube....Qj4u7EI&t=6m50s (outside edge)

http://www.youtube.c...Qj4u7EI&t=9m45s (hockey stop)

If you can't do any of the techniques in the video (without chatter), then you'll need to work on your edge/weight/balance control.

#3 t6lock

t6lock
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 16 August 2015 - 02:10 AM

Hi all, I posted this in the Easton Mako section but thought this may get a better response. I am on Easton Makos and since I bought them I have been having problems with chatter during aggressive stops. It feels like I am going across a rumble strip. They are OK when stopping more upright but at full speed stops with an aggressive angle on the skates that is when the chatter or chop comes into play. Have been sharpened at 5/8, 9/16, 3/4, then flattened out to around a 12 radius and had some of the back of the blade taken off a even the blade is pitched forward. Does anyone have any ideas to solve this other than changing out holders and steel? If I had to I would because the skates are super comfortable but any thoughts would be helpful. If it helps I am around 5'7 and about 155 lbs. Thanks in advance, Dave

Try going to a less bite hollow like a 1/2

#4 - M

- M

Posted 16 August 2015 - 05:36 AM

^^ 1/2" will have more bite than what he is skating on now.

If your bag has wheels, you don't.

#5 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 16 August 2015 - 06:33 AM

I am at 3/4 and they just put new steel in. Definitely better after just one skate. Will try again this morning and thanks for the video all makes sense. Will report back later. Thanks again for responses.

#6 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 16 August 2015 - 12:05 PM

Skated them again this morning and a lot better then before but never got any chatter with APXs. Seems to me I am adjusting to a pitch which may be too aggressive rather then adjusting the pitch to my style Love the boot fit but need to somehow neutralize the pitch of the holder and the steel.

#7 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 18 August 2015 - 11:35 AM

Before I skated last night I went into the shop at the rink because I had been referred to speak with this guy as he has been dealing with professional skaters throughout the years. Cost me $30 but he told me if I didn't love what he did he would refund me no questions asked. Balanced (Which they were way way off) them and profiled them to around a 14 from a 9. Let me tell you what, what a world of difference. Much more stable on all edges and much better balance fore and aft. I am still convinced that some point I will put some Tuuks on them but for now a huge relief for the fix.Thanks for the help and the video because I learned a lot from that.

#8 mc88

mc88
  • LocationOregon

Posted 18 August 2015 - 11:47 AM

Before I skated last night I went into the shop at the rink because I had been referred to speak with this guy as he has been dealing with professional skaters throughout the years. Cost me $30 but he told me if I didn't love what he did he would refund me no questions asked. Balanced (Which they were way way off) them and profiled them to around a 14 from a 9. Let me tell you what, what a world of difference. Much more stable on all edges and much better balance fore and aft. I am still convinced that some point I will put some Tuuks on them but for now a huge relief for the fix.Thanks for the help and the video because I learned a lot from that.

I highly recommend the Tuuks. The only downside is that Mako outsole wasn't meant to be drilled more than once. I went ahead and did mine when I had it, and although it wasn't recommended, it was worth it.

#9 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 18 August 2015 - 03:09 PM

Have them on my APXs which I cant seem to sell so if they sit around long enough I will pull the plug and get them switched out. Just got them done and got new steel put in and don't have the coin to go ahead and do it right now but I will keep it on the back burner. Thanks, Dave