Photo

Step Steel Blades

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 steamers11

steamers11
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:05 PM

Anyone here using Step Steel and what do you think?

#2 cthockey

cthockey

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:40 PM

I've been using/selling Step steel for the 4+ years now and have nothing but great things to say about it. They were obviously doing something right if Bauer came out with the LS3 steel which is just a copy of the Step.
Step is made of a stronger purer steel which in my opinion produces a harder/stronger edge. I see a lot less pitting with Step then I do Bauer or CCM Steel.
They offer 10% more steel then other companies which means a longer life.
Great product!

#3 malcb33

malcb33

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:13 PM

Posted Image

They are officially in production now (finally) and should be out very soon. Step should be releasing more details on the facebook page soon: https://www.facebook...114819765333209

#4 Bush League

Bush League
  • LocationWasaga Beach

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:46 AM

Gold ! Effin sick

#5 WindyCity

WindyCity
  • LocationChicago

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:45 PM

I've used Step Steel ever since I bought a pair of Juri Hudler skates that had them and I can take much sharper turns. I really like them.

#6 Too Old

Too Old
  • LocationIowa

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:52 PM

Been on Step for my Grafs the last 3 years. They hold the edge far longer than the OEM Graf steel. Very pleased with it. The ti ni and DLC coatings would likley help against getting as many nicks on the sides of the steel but that's about it. Since it's just a surface treatment there'll be no coating that will stay in the hollow. I've been very tempted to send in some Step and have it cryo treated like I've done with some race car parts. It really extends the service life of race parts and would likely do the same on blades. I just need to talk myself into finally doing a set.

#7 malcb33

malcb33

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:59 PM

The coating does a lot more than protect against nicks. I've used been using the Titanium coated "Gold" steel for months and there is a definite increase in guide and bite in sharp turns and stoping. IMO these are the best performing steel on the (soon to be) market and I've tried pretty much everything.

#8 Too Old

Too Old
  • LocationIowa

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:41 PM

The coating isn't in the hollow once sharpened and thus doesn't do a bit of good there. All the coatings or cryo do is put a harder coat or harden the metal. The coatings only protect the outer sides of the blades. This would help against nicks on each edge but that's it. If it can maintain the edge then yes it will help with turns and stopping for much longer than a non-coated/treated blade. But I can't see it being anything but a placebo for glide. If you want better glide then the FBV is the answer.

#9 malcb33

malcb33

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:06 AM

I already use fbv, but thanks for the advise. I understand your theory, but have you used any coated steel before (be or step)? I have and I can tell you from my experiences there is a difference in glide. Also most of the Step testers had the same feedback.

I've got both freshly sharpened gold steel and ti-ss do I'm going to try both tonight back to back on the same ice. I've been skating on both the steels each for a few months now (and before that I was on Velocity) and I felt a difference in switching over, but it will be interesting to try them both in the ice time.

#10 Too Old

Too Old
  • LocationIowa

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:58 AM

Have not, but I'll likely try it just to see. I've used DLC coating on drag race engine parts; namely wrist pins so I can run more vacuum in the crankcase without worry of galling the pins with less oil to them.

#11 malcb33

malcb33

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:34 PM

Well I tried the two steels (Gold & Ti-SS fusion style with velocity) on back to back skates on Sunday and I definitely noticed slightly less drag with the Gold steel. On the same ice and both freshly sharpened the gold steel just feels smoother and glides better as well as a more bite.

In saying that the Ti-SS is definitely no slouch either. It's a titanium fusion blade with highly polished Velocity steel, a very nice product in its own right . It weighs in at around 100 grams for a 272mm power blade, where the Gold steel is around 140 grams (both of them are taller steel than sock LS2's).

#12 Too Old

Too Old
  • LocationIowa

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:37 PM

Great feedback, thanks. It has my interest for sure.

#13 akaSmall_Kitten

akaSmall_Kitten

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:50 AM

Great feedback, thanks. It has my interest for sure.

#14 ken6473

ken6473

2013 and 2015 S2K Playoff Challenge Champion

• PipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationKingston, ON

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:23 AM

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but have the gold step blades been released to the general public yet? I'd like to try a pair out. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction?

Sometimes I tuck my junk between my legs and pretend to be a woman if that's what you meant?