Photo

Patrick Kane stick question

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Beanznasty

Beanznasty

Posted 08 November 2015 - 07:01 PM

I noticed a while back that Patrick Kane uses a 102 flex stick (which I imagine is cut down) even though he is much smaller than most guys who use that type of flex. Anyone know why he does this?

#2 kovalchuk007

kovalchuk007

Posted 08 November 2015 - 07:16 PM

It's simply a question of taste I suppose. I seen some Warrior 65 Flex sticks from Gallagher,Tikhonov,Johnson and Versteeg. and 110 for a guy like Grabner.

#3 Fooj

Fooj
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 08 November 2015 - 08:53 PM

I think that those 65 were custom made by psh in their curve and name.

But as far as Kane I think he likes the stiffer flex for stickhandling control

IG: Fooj Media

#4 numan

numan
  • LocationDallas

Posted 10 November 2015 - 02:11 AM

He dosent like the stick to move at all when he stick handles like fooj mentioned. Plus the way he shoots he dosent flex he stick anyways. He's probably better off with it being that stif

#5 NovaHands

NovaHands
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 10 November 2015 - 03:04 PM

I tried one of his sticks on the ice.  Felt like I was shooting with a California redwood tree.  

#6 skleiner1

skleiner1
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted 11 November 2015 - 01:05 AM

Hates his stick to move. Extra stiff blade as well and a TotalOne... Not even low kick.

Instagram - Sports2K
- skleiner
Twitter - @Sports2K
- @skleiner1

#7 Kadams29

Kadams29
  • LocationBuffalo NY

Posted 12 November 2015 - 05:38 AM

It is unreal but he can sling it. I play with a buddy thats like 160 ish pounds and uses a cut down 102. His snap shot is soo hard and explosive too. All in the quick techniques.

#8 60PlusWinger

60PlusWinger

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:16 AM

That's why he makes the big bucks. Repetition, repetition, repetition. Think of all the times we mention a specific players technique and their special shot. Break the mold, if the style is working for you keep it up. I personally love a 102 for stick handling and passing.

#9 Beanznasty

Beanznasty

Posted 12 November 2015 - 02:12 PM

Hates his stick to move. Extra stiff blade as well and a TotalOne... Not even low kick.

Do you know if he uses short or longer sticks? I heard he cuts it to about his nose on skates not sure if that true or not, anyone know?

#10 airmaxone95

airmaxone95
  • LocationOntario

Posted 12 November 2015 - 07:19 PM

thats a pretty long twig if its at his nose on his skates. he doesnt look to use a particularly long or short stick. ive seen a few of his sticks that are 107 flex.

his shot still baffles me. he has one of the most stealth releases along to go with pinpoint accuracy. many pro players have different, but quite similar shooting styles. (quick cradle, drag, snap all in one quick motion - whether theyre using 95 or less)

I have yet to see a player with his style of shooting. I can't think of another player who can, what looks like, take a quick snapper from so far out with minimal effort. A lot of his success has to do with his release, if you've watched Kane enough, you'll notice a lot of his shots come at the most unexpected time. While most guys need to somewhat "set up" for a shot or have it further away from their body before they pull in and snap, it seems Kane can let a shot go while the puck is relatively close to his body.

A good example of the type of shots I mean are like this one:

Thats the best example I can find at the moment doing a quick search. I watch a lot of different players goals from whole seasons and I can't think of many guys who skate around the perimeter and all of a sudden let a harmeless looking cross/inside body shot that just finds its way through everyone and in.

#11 flip12

flip12
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark

Posted 13 November 2015 - 07:16 AM

That's a great example. He gets better kick on his stick than people seem to notice. He gets pretty good flex on that shot, even if it looks like he just flings it. Just watch it on slow motion on the second replay. That camera angle and zoom level features it perfectly.

#12 DIFSweden

DIFSweden

Posted 13 November 2015 - 11:13 PM

102 is insane with his type of shot, as most players he goes down in flex in the later season but I guess he wants a less sloppy stick and a direct respons, which is more important in his case. He´s not known for hard shots though, rather quick release. 

#13 PittFan8

PittFan8
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 16 November 2015 - 03:21 PM

Has anyone noticed it looks like he draws a black square on the forehand side tape with a sharpie or something? At least I'm 99% sure that's what it is. Any ideas what that's about? Maybe same idea as Jamie Benn's sweet spot tj?

#14 enzofox77

enzofox77
  • LocationWaterloo, Ontario

Posted 16 November 2015 - 06:39 PM

I have seen him do that in practice. I always thought he was goofing around with the goalie and making it look like he has a puck on his stick as the goalie would only see the rectangular outline of the puck. I am curious as too his actual reasoning behind it

#15 airmaxone95

airmaxone95
  • LocationOntario

Posted 17 November 2015 - 02:39 AM

never seen it. curious to see a pic if possible

#16 Goldberg21

Goldberg21
  • LocationWinnipeg

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:59 PM

never seen it. curious to see a pic if possible

http://www.ebay.ca/i...MUAAOSwLzdWSAc5

#17 greghughes

greghughes
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 17 November 2015 - 03:02 PM

don't think thats a normal thing, i think he usually just rubs it with a puck

Looking for retro Ducks set!

#18 airmaxone95

airmaxone95
  • LocationOntario

Posted 17 November 2015 - 05:44 PM

lol thats awesome. after reading the description i see he only used it in practice with the drawn on puck. guessing thats illegal for games lol

#19 romdj

romdj
  • LocationBrussels, Belgium

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:21 AM

any idea of what lie he uses? seems to me like it's pretty high 

#20 Sydnap

Sydnap

Posted 20 December 2015 - 10:31 AM

I'm guessing it's a least a 6 lie, maybe higher. Kane, Datsyuk, Giroux all use very similar sticks (old Bauer p10 curves), the biggest difference being lie. I have 3 pro stock Datsyuks that a former teammate in Montreal got for me, but the lie is too low (5 lie is my guess from comparing with others). Given he plays shorter than Datstuk and plays closer to the feet as well, I'll guess a 6 lie. Been on the lookout for a pro stock Kane forever, no luck....