Photo

Knee brace recommendations

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 booyaagrandma

booyaagrandma
  • LocationThe North of Ireland

Posted 20 December 2015 - 12:08 AM

Looking for recommendations for knee braces that work well under shin pads ?
I need the most supportive ( level 2 at least most likely 3 )
I have the Mc David level 2 right now that need replacing so was curious to hear people's experiences with other braces.

#2 hockeymutt

hockeymutt

Posted 20 December 2015 - 12:28 AM

Bauer years ago used to sell shin pads with the knee brace built in. I haven't seen them in almost 12 years I bet they pop up on eBay

#3 zenmasterchen

zenmasterchen
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 20 December 2015 - 12:45 AM

Just for general support? To prevent a dislocation? Details would help.

#4 booyaagrandma

booyaagrandma

Posted 20 December 2015 - 01:12 AM

Good point.

The Doctor was a little non specific when I went in a little while ago ( no x rays yet ) but thought it to be ligament damage or Patellofemoral pain syndrome ( runners knee ) 

Its pain behind the knee cap in both knees,one worse than the other.

I will be going back in to get x rays but have found the knee brace does help at this point.

#5 DespicableChang

DespicableChang
  • LocationKankakee, Illinois

Posted 20 December 2015 - 02:42 PM

Let me know is you find something that helps.  My patello femoral syndrome has been killing me for a while.  I've taken breaks, stretched, etc. but it is still there.  I've shortened my stride so that my knee doesn't get out over my toes and that has helped.  

My thoughts and prayers go out to you brother!

#6 booyaagrandma

booyaagrandma

Posted 20 December 2015 - 05:06 PM

Thanks for the kind thoughts :0)

Ibuprofen and braces help for sure right now but another more extensive Doctor visit is on the cards me thinks.

#7 Dewper

Dewper
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 22 December 2015 - 11:24 AM

What about cycling easy gears, with high RPM's, { + 90 rpm/ minute }. If this causes pain, stop. This should strengthen the quads which support the knee and hopefully ease the pressure on the knee joint.

#8 Mincy

Mincy
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 22 December 2015 - 11:52 AM

This is a little premature, but I thought I would ask. Would a brace do anything for a torn meniscus? Im going to see a doctor next week and I'm hoping it's nothing bad. After talking to folks and self-diagnosing (everyone is an expert when using the Internet, right?) I really think it's my meniscus though :-/

"Speak softly and carry a big stick"  Feedback

#9 SSG_Beantown33

SSG_Beantown33
  • LocationGrafton, MA

Posted 22 December 2015 - 01:23 PM

I started wearing the Level 2 Shk Doctor one. Gave me great support for the swelling around my knee but really kind of affected my shin guard. I wear a 16 NXG shinny and I it would interfere with the lip of APX2 skate and cause me to kind of skid out every once in a while. So I really only wear it if I am having a bad (knee) day

#10 PaulKariya

PaulKariya
  • LocationBC

Posted 23 December 2015 - 01:24 PM

I wear one made by EC3D. More closely related to a sleeve but still very supportive nonetheless. Check it out.

#11 mersss

mersss
  • LocationMontreal, CAN

Posted 23 December 2015 - 04:34 PM

This is a little premature, but I thought I would ask. Would a brace do anything for a torn meniscus? Im going to see a doctor next week and I'm hoping it's nothing bad. After talking to folks and self-diagnosing (everyone is an expert when using the Internet, right?) I really think it's my meniscus though :-/

Nothing will prevent it. Meniscus injury are primarly caused by knee rotation. Unless you're wearing the full metal knee brase, usual elastic base knee brace wont help you a lot. You have to prevent that knee torsion in order to really help. 

As far as PFS, Knee brace is like putting a bandaid over a deep open wound. Better go off to the gym and stretch your quads/hip flexors, strengthen your Hamstrings and gluts and foam roll the shit out of your IT Band (commonly tight on hockey players)

#12 booyaagrandma

booyaagrandma

Posted 23 December 2015 - 05:00 PM

^ great advise,thanks.

#13 Cosmic

Cosmic

Posted 25 December 2015 - 04:01 AM

I wear one made by EC3D. More closely related to a sleeve but still very supportive nonetheless. Check it out.

Over the summer, Sierra trading post was running 75% off on X bionic 3/4 compression pants. I grabbed a couple of pairs and find them to help my "funny" knee. The deep discount is over though, and since we don't know what your condition is, these may be of no help. They definitely won't prevent hyperextension or dislocation or tearing or anything of the sort; they will instead just provide some compression and support, if that's what one will potentially benefit from.

"It's not cool to take damage." - Floyd

#14 Robg39

Robg39
  • LocationBoston

Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:23 PM

I have a bad knee and I've been wearing donjoy reaction web knee brace for a couple years now and I love it.

http://www.djoglobal...-web-knee-brace

#15 booyaagrandma

booyaagrandma

Posted 29 December 2015 - 02:46 PM

I ended up grabbing a pair of Mueller HG80's for now.

One game in with them and my knees feel better than a game after the old braces.

A Doctor visit is still on the cards for the new year though.

Great advise and info here so far.