Photo

Custom Orthotics For Hockey Skates?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Hockeylife20

Hockeylife20

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:15 PM

So I'm going to get fitted for custom orthotics for my hockey skates by my podiatrist he said it should help my nerve pain. I believe he is just making a traditional orthotic and said there is no difference between how he would make a traditional one and a hockey skate one. I'm worried it will be to big and create more problems the orthotics are not completely covered by insurance so should I pass on these?

#2 fpm39

fpm39

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:19 PM

Have you exhausted all other options? Speed plates as insoles? Super feet? Custom super feet?

#3 cassipedia

cassipedia

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:22 PM

It depends on how thick the orthotics are and where the lifts are positioned. The biggest issue is if the heel is too thick, this causes your heel to be forced out of the heel pocket, next issue is volume.

#4 Hockeylife20

Hockeylife20

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:26 PM

I've tried Graf low arch, black super feet, and yellow superfeet. I had arch pain which the yellow super feet took care of but I have an inside ankle bone that is positioned more forward so my inside ankle bone was running into the eyelets area with the super feet. One thing seems to solve a problem and then create another one. I got steroid injections today because I irritated the nerves around my ankle so much. So my podiatrist recommend injections, rest, and custom orthotics for my skates.

#5 fpm39

fpm39

Posted 30 December 2015 - 12:14 AM

Sounds maybe like a volume issue in your skate boot, might want to try a better fitting skate or even custom skates.

#6 wessh6

wessh6

Posted 30 December 2015 - 01:32 AM

Send my skates to have orthotics made for them every time I have a new pair done, best money I've ever spent on gear.... I recommend everyone gets insoles made for skates, guarantee you'll notice a difference

#7 skleiner1

skleiner1
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted 30 December 2015 - 03:30 AM

I would be sure to ask exactly what you are getting as orthotics do not work in hockey skates but are commonly used when an add on to a heel support is just as good. There are custom made hockey footbeds that are amazing though, they look extremely similar to superfeet (they're actually based of the hard heel backing of superfeet) but way more custom to your foot.

That said, it doesn't sound like you have a "bottom of the foot" issue but rather a skate that doesn't fit properly. If you have a lot of anomalies on your foot especially that ankle thing you were saying, I'd go for a custom VH hockey skate. It'll be the best money you've ever spent and they'll take the time to get it right and make sure you're 100% happy and not in pain when you play.

Instagram - Sports2K
- skleiner
Twitter - @Sports2K
- @skleiner1

#8 cassipedia

cassipedia

Posted 30 December 2015 - 04:42 AM

I've tried Graf low arch, black super feet, and yellow superfeet. I had arch pain which the yellow super feet took care of but I have an inside ankle bone that is positioned more forward so my inside ankle bone was running into the eyelets area with the super feet. One thing seems to solve a problem and then create another one. I got steroid injections today because I irritated the nerves around my ankle so much. So my podiatrist recommend injections, rest, and custom orthotics for my skates.

The ankle bone is a volume / your foot shape issue. Custom VH skates or a larger volume skate are a way to fix this but if you want to stay in the boots you have you could try these things: 1: Get the skates punched in that area. 2: Wear ankle gel pads. 3: Wear ez fit booties. A combination of these things generally works the best.

#9 GiancarloSFL

GiancarloSFL
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 30 December 2015 - 10:46 AM

Also you might want Scott to take look as he also offers custom insoles. He offered them to me a few months ago, I'm not sure if the asked for a 3d scan or a cast mold but either way he'd be your best bet. If your going that route might as well have him do the complete thing skates and insoles. Steph has a good point as it might be cheaper in the long run to have everything done through VH 

#10 malcb33

malcb33

Posted 30 December 2015 - 06:12 PM

I agree on the VH front. I would also check out these too

www.sols.com

I haven't tried them but the look interesting and fairly affordable as well. I have custom Sidas footbeds and find them amazing, especially paired with my VH skates.

#11 Hyuen88

Hyuen88
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 01 January 2016 - 12:55 PM

If there is a Graf retailer around you w/ the graf custom Sidas. I'd recommend those as another option since they're basically custom orthodics.

HK #17

Feedback

#12 - M

- M

Posted 01 January 2016 - 05:42 PM

Did you get fitted for the footbeds or did you buy them based off the sizing on the box?

If your bag has wheels, you don't.

#13 romdj

romdj
  • LocationBrussels, Belgium

Posted 11 January 2016 - 07:53 PM

Send my skates to have orthotics made for them every time I have a new pair done, best money I've ever spent on gear.... I recommend everyone gets insoles made for skates, guarantee you'll notice a difference

+1 They'll make your feet feel like home. They still make me smile when I wear them 

#14 Maratanator11

Maratanator11
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 20 January 2016 - 09:36 PM

First post here.  My custom orthotics were the best thing I could've done for my feet.  Went from years and years of foot pain to none at all.

#15 tysondurante

tysondurante

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:47 PM

Store I work at does the custom grafs, I just picked up my second pair. I swear by them

#16 Hockeylife20

Hockeylife20

Posted 07 February 2016 - 02:32 PM

Has any one tried foot balence custom insoles no shops in my entire state have a sidas machine.

#17 Wanz32

Wanz32
  • LocationKelowna

Posted 07 February 2016 - 04:11 PM

Super feet are coming out with a hockey specific insole. 

- Always looking for new style stars gear, particularly Bauer! 

#18 Erock84

Erock84
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 07 February 2016 - 05:45 PM

Link?

#19 Bruins243

Bruins243

Posted 05 July 2016 - 04:13 PM

Where do you send them off to ?

#20 skleiner1

skleiner1
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted 05 July 2016 - 10:57 PM

Just an FYI you can save A LOT of money by getting a pair of superfeet made up custom with the back cup piece. Why orthotics feel comfortable is because they fill the space, they're not actually doing a lot in your skates (unless you have tracked ones). Skates are tilted and need to have a track on the back in order to reduce your feet from fanning out. Totally depends what you foot issues are but I strongly recommend trying a pair of superfeet before investing in orthotics. You have 60 days to try them as well. Make sure you get fit properly for them! A good doc who's knowledgable with hockey skates/feet in hockey skates will recommend doing that custom superfeet make up every time :)

Instagram - Sports2K
- skleiner
Twitter - @Sports2K
- @skleiner1