32 replies to this topic

#21 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:41 AM

Here's an interesting reddit link:

https://www.reddit.c...nts_ive_gotten/

Some funny replies in there.

I do tongues out because I like the mobility with the ankle. My skates are not laced super tight like some so this is the way that feels most comfortable. I used to tuck way back when I started but I got lazy while getting dressed and realized how much better tongue out was. I didn't realize how much of a statement it made to you as a player

Looking for BIOSTEEL jersey made by UA or Adidas.

Looking for Bauer Pro defender elbows size Large

My ebay (better prices for members)

#22 x-axis

x-axis
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 March 2016 - 08:58 AM

I do tongues out because I like the mobility with the ankle. 

I agree. A lot of power skating instructors recommend it for this reason.

Old Buyer/Seller Feedback-http://www.sports2k....axis/?hl=x-axis

Want to buy:

Small Shells

Large Edge Practice Socks White with navy stripe 

Large Edge Practice Socks Burgundy with white stripe 

#23 kingston-boy

kingston-boy
  • LocationPrince Edward Island, Canada

Posted 29 March 2016 - 11:52 AM

Shinpads over tongues, I even go one size bigger so they rest just above. the top 3 boot laces. With the new ultra tacks shins I find it sticks out quite a bit so it doesn't prevent ankle flex. So the range of motion is not hampered and I can skate just fine :-)

Read about rupturing tendons from a slapshot to the tongue. Painful surgery and rehab. It happened to a friend of mine and when I saw his foot mangled and dangling it changed my mind in a heartbeat.Who cares if you look cool with Tongues out like dog ears. Your going to look cooler scoring goals then on the bench in a cast.

#24 grapes55

grapes55
  • LocationToronto

Posted 29 March 2016 - 03:13 PM

I swear if you guys ever get to the rink early enough to catch the end of a youth practice, every single kid thinks theyre ovi. Rare to see a kid with the tongues tucked. Its crazy

Really? I hardly see anyone with tongues out, at leas tin the league i play in. Its becoming almost as rare as pulling your socks over your tendon guard (see: sedins, datsyuk)
To stay on topic, I used to go tongues out but With my apx skates and their thin tongue i opted to go tongues in

#25 MyWifeWillKillMe

MyWifeWillKillMe
  • LocationAdams, NY

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:02 PM

Used to go with tongues out.  Now, they're tucked under 15" shins.  Can't switch back for the life of me.

#26 theruz23

theruz23
  • LocationCT

Posted 30 March 2016 - 08:11 PM

Shinpads over tongues, I even go one size bigger so they rest just above. the top 3 boot laces. With the new ultra tacks shins I find it sticks out quite a bit so it doesn't prevent ankle flex. So the range of motion is not hampered and I can skate just fine :-)
Read about rupturing tendons from a slapshot to the tongue. Painful surgery and rehab. It happened to a friend of mine and when I saw his foot mangled and dangling it changed my mind in a heartbeat.Who cares if you look cool with Tongues out like dog ears. Your going to look cooler scoring goals then on the bench in a cast.

Holy over reaction, its also about preference not just looks...

#27 mc88

mc88
  • LocationOregon

Posted 30 March 2016 - 10:51 PM

Saw a kid get stepped on during a tourney... Right between his flopped tongue and shin guard. Sliced him pretty well, blood everywhere and it sent him to the hospital.

After that, tongues in for me. That and I found that unless I skipped an eyelet, I got a ton of lace bite (I sure as hell wasn't going to go with smaller shins).

As a visual, this unprotected gap:
7e555a70-ac81-4f7a-bfe2-89f5d428b0e2_ORI

#28 Hokie

Hokie
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 31 March 2016 - 07:02 AM

Tounges out

#29 bluhmd

bluhmd
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 31 March 2016 - 09:29 PM

Shins over tongue. I've tried to flop tongue, but can't stand it. 

#30 bluhmd

bluhmd
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 31 March 2016 - 09:35 PM

Saw a kid get stepped on during a tourney... Right between his flopped tongue and shin guard. Sliced him pretty well, blood everywhere and it sent him to the hospital.

After that, tongues in for me. That and I found that unless I skipped an eyelet, I got a ton of lace bite (I sure as hell wasn't going to go with smaller shins).

As a visual, this unprotected gap:
7e555a70-ac81-4f7a-bfe2-89f5d428b0e2_ORI

This is also the true KOVY, and he could've played with broken gear from play it again sports and destroyed the league with 100 pts plus a year.....if he only had the work ethic to care 

#31 kingston-boy

kingston-boy
  • LocationPrince Edward Island, Canada

Posted 01 April 2016 - 07:00 AM

Holy over reaction, its also about preference not just looks...

shameful...

#32 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 03 April 2016 - 08:55 PM

judging by what kingston boy said earlier, my preference wasn't based on what looks cool when it came to tongues in/out. i used to do tongues over then went to tongues out due to comfort and ankle movement.

My friends and I play pick up's and fun shinny's alot so vary rarely do guys take clappers in pick up, it's generally something a plug would do. 

If i were to play full on league and tournaments i may do tongues in now in due to that unfortunate set of circumstances that kingston boy described earlier. 

Looking for BIOSTEEL jersey made by UA or Adidas.

Looking for Bauer Pro defender elbows size Large

My ebay (better prices for members)

#33 Dishmaster

Dishmaster

Posted 03 April 2016 - 09:46 PM

Shins over tongues but I don't mind a nice flop. Nuge looks good with it