Switching Edge holder to LS2 on Bauer 8000

Bauer Tuuk Edge Holder LS2 Bauer 8000 Changing Holders

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bluhmd

bluhmd
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 31 March 2016 - 09:19 PM

I recently purchased some Bauer 8000's. I am absolutely in love with them. This the first retail skate that has fit my high instep and foot, ever. I was about to pull the trigger on VH customs until I found a store that had these in stock. I have done some research, but limited on the Edge holder. The skates came with the Fusion runner, which I do not like. So I'm reaching out here for a sanity check of the forum. These are my options....

#1. Stay with the Edge holder and go to LS3 or LS4. I'm hesitant only because of what I've read about the blades starting to move in the holder and I had my skate sharpener mention he's had some issues. Now, my sharper is a small LHS who is amazing and not a box store. Furthermore, I trust him very much. I did not ask if they were JR skates or SR thought.

#2 Buy new LS2 runners and run Step Steel. This is the current set I run on my Bauer Total One's. But I would have to custom drill the foot-bed and I am not sure how this would mess with the skate, if at all. The 8000's are a full composite foot-bed with only drain holes in the middle. 

#3. Buy CCM's runner, which is supposed to have the same rivet alignment as the Bauer Tuuk, so it would be an easy swap and run Step with it. I am somewhat concerned about the visible screws and pitch, but would allow me to sway out without any drilling to the food-bed.

Price is not a factor in the decision in this, and just looking to see what you guys think. The Edge runner has been great in the two or three skates I've been on them. This is more of a sanity check for myself to either move to something else, or stick with the Edge. The knowledge here is absolutely amazing and that's what I'm hoping to draw from. Thanks in advance for any info on this situation. 

Edit: A typo on the specific name I wanted to correct

#2 jordanm

jordanm
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 01 April 2016 - 02:39 PM

You wouldn't have to drill anything. The wholes line up when you use the same size holder.

I just had mx3's switched over to Ls2. But have since switched back to edge.

I personally haven't heard of any issues with the runner moving and I have been to large and small shops locally

MIC Franchise gloves for sale? PM me!
@myfriendmonty

https://www.instagra...m/jordanmoffat/

#3 - M

- M

Posted 01 April 2016 - 03:04 PM

If you are switching from Edge to LS2 then you may need to drill a little bit if the holes don't line up perfectly.  For LS2 installations make sure you also have a hole drilled in the heel of the boot to allow access to the hardware that holds the steel in place.

If your bag has wheels, you don't.

#4 bluhmd

bluhmd
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 01 April 2016 - 03:08 PM

If you are switching from Edge to LS2 then you may need to drill a little bit if the holes don't line up perfectly.  For LS2 installations make sure you also have a hole drilled in the heel of the boot to allow access to the hardware that holds the steel in place.

Drilling that hole in the heel for access to the hardware is my only concern. I'm not sure if it will impact the foot-bed structure at all. 

#5 BostonBruins

BostonBruins
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 04:34 PM

I'd stick with your current set up and get ls4. It seems like a lot of people are happy with the new Ls4 and is comparable to step in some aspects.
Always looking for BOSTON BRUINS gear!

Looking for Tampa Bay Lightning 3rd Set. Practice Jersey in Size 56, Size medium shell, 13 inch bauer/apx gloves.

#6 crabby

crabby
  • LocationAustria

Posted 01 April 2016 - 04:42 PM

I'd stick with your current set up and get ls4. It seems like a lot of people are happy with the new Ls4 and is comparable to step in some aspects.

Switched from fusion to ls4, best you can do... Fusion sucks, breaks easy(needed 3pairs of runner in 2 years, have around 40practice/game per year)
LF
CCM TACKS 80 flex LH Kreps
Purple or green gloves
purple practice jersey

#7 - M

- M

Posted 01 April 2016 - 05:15 PM

Drilling that hole in the heel for access to the hardware is my only concern. I'm not sure if it will impact the foot-bed structure at all. 

Drilling that hole in the heel won't be an issue.  My original Total One skates has tons of holes in the outsole (from mounting the holder, drainage, hardware access) and I converted them into roller hockey skates; which involved even more drilling.

If your bag has wheels, you don't.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bauer, Tuuk Edge, Holder, LS2, Bauer 8000, Changing Holders