Photo

Anyone cut a stick only to extend it with a wood extension?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 60PlusWinger

60PlusWinger

Posted 29 September 2016 - 09:17 PM

I have heard that some guys cut their sticks short only to add a wooden extension. Say you cut down 2 inches and add a 1 inch wood extension. I guess it helps with stick balance/feel? Anyone try it or know someone that does?

#2 90Style10Skill

90Style10Skill

Posted 29 September 2016 - 10:15 PM

A lot of pros do it so it must work. You've likely got it right; has to do with dampening the feel a bit, also helping with balance so you can get more leverage on your shots with the extra counterweight at the top.

I've personally never done it.

Custom everything.

#3 Gswift

Gswift

Posted 30 September 2016 - 12:51 AM

This also allows you to shave the handle any shape you want...

#4 flip12

flip12
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark

Posted 30 September 2016 - 02:56 PM

I've done it a bit with a Malkin pro stock I had that I found I cut too short. I'm still getting used to balancing lighter sticks so it could be I just need to transition to full composite from ice to hand. Previously, I found having a wood plug in standard-.620 shafts balanced a 180-ish gram blade perfectly. I wouldn't cut the shaft down, but due to my height I needed at least a 2-3" plug to make it usable, even on the short end of just below my chin, barefoot.

Anyway, with the end plug in the Malkin, the feel was just much softer for me. It's hard to explain, but I just had a better sense of the puck's positioning on my blade without looking at it. Passing with softer and firmer touch was easier to negotiate as well.

#5 Wheelin89

Wheelin89

Posted 01 October 2016 - 09:39 AM

I only do it when I stick is too square, get a file and shape them to my preference sand it down and tape it up.