Photo

65 Intermediate Flex stick for small player

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 DaleWeise22

DaleWeise22

Posted 02 November 2016 - 07:03 PM

Perhaps there is a topic about this, but I wonder if there are players on the forum who use 65 flex sticks.

In fact, I'm 5,5 and I always used CCM 75 flex and recently 67 flex Baeur, but I don't know if I should buy a new 75 flex or a 65 flex from CCM. And I don't want to spend a lot of money on a 65 flex just in case I don't like that. Also, I'm just cutting my stick from half a inch.

What are your experience with 65 flex stick? Does it worth it?

Thanks,

#2 90Style10Skill

90Style10Skill

Posted 02 November 2016 - 07:20 PM

How heavy are you.

Custom everything.

#3 DaleWeise22

DaleWeise22

Posted 02 November 2016 - 08:27 PM

142lbs

#4 DespicableChang

DespicableChang
  • LocationKankakee, Illinois

Posted 02 November 2016 - 11:37 PM

Just depends on the type of shots you prefer to take.  I'm a large lad at 265 and 5' 11" and I use a 65 flex but I use a very short stick.   I take a lot of snap shots just using my arms so I can shoot from all angles rather than taking proper wristers or slappers using my body in the shot.  The more flexible the stick you use the better your snapper/quick release shots will be but your one timers and slapshots will be crap.   

My personal opinion is that 75% of people should go with more flexible sticks.  I've seen it help a lot of kids I coach who use sticks that they can't flex or bend with any type of shot.  

Hopefully you can figure it out and maybe experiment with somebody else's 65 flex before dropping your hard earned $ on one.

Best of luck to you brother. 

#5 x-axis

x-axis
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 November 2016 - 02:37 AM

If you've had a 67 flex Bauer an increase of 2 won't make a large difference since both Bauer and CCM make their intermediates at the same height at 57." Though Bauer plays a bit stiffer for me the change is not huge by any means. 

It also doesn't hurt to do a pro and cons list as well as purchase a previous year's model to experiment.

Old Buyer/Seller Feedback-http://www.sports2k....axis/?hl=x-axis

Want to buy:

Small Shells

Large Edge Practice Socks White with navy stripe 

Large Edge Practice Socks Burgundy with white stripe 

#6 DaleWeise22

DaleWeise22

Posted 03 November 2016 - 09:09 AM

Thanks for the tips,

I will try 65 flex. Saw one cheap.

#7 louie

louie
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 10 November 2016 - 11:25 PM

6'2" 200 and I use a 65 and would never go back, let the stick do the work!

#8 Bosik

Bosik

Posted 30 December 2016 - 12:51 PM

I am 5.7, 154 and use 85 flex. And it feels too much. I think I also should try 65 or 70 flex.

it looked odd, but i still grabbed a pair...

#9 BigDaws

BigDaws
  • LocationBelleville, ON

Posted 30 December 2016 - 05:15 PM

5'9 180 and I'm hooked on 70-75 flex twigs, life changing lol.

Tickle the twine

#10 hockeymutt

hockeymutt

Posted 30 December 2016 - 06:10 PM

5'6ish used an 65 for awhile than went back to a 75... almost for shits and gigs bought a 50 flex to try it out. The pro show was selling a few for $25 thought it would be funny.

#11 gosinger

gosinger
  • LocationAustria

Posted 31 December 2016 - 10:52 AM

I talked to a girls hockey coach today, the team is evaluating a bunch of sticks from a manufacturer, and so far for the girls 16+ (avg 5.4") they have decided to send back the adult 75 and went with intermediate 60-70 as well as some junior sticks for the very small ones.

One thing to note, the intermediates I've had so far were shorter at the noted flex, so cutting a SR 75 flex to the same length as an INT 70 flex made it about a 90 flex in comparison. So keep that in mind when trying sticks, I can't really play with my INT Warrior 70 flex (too soft) but cutting down a SR 75 flex is absolutely perfect.

#12 DaleWeise22

DaleWeise22

Posted 31 December 2016 - 11:24 AM

I tried a 65 flex CCM and it felt soft. My shoot was better but my puck control was so different. For exemple, does Patrick Kane plays with a stiffer stick to be able to dangle like crazy?

#13 BigDaws

BigDaws
  • LocationBelleville, ON

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:37 PM

I just got a Int height 75 flex APX2 to try out, threw a 2" extension in it and it's crazy how much of a difference that made. I've been used to 75 flex Sr sticks and cutting 1.5-2" off making it around a 80 flex. I find that with the whipper 70ish flex in my APX2 my quick handles take a bit of a hit, but the shot with it makes up for any blemish on the handles

Tickle the twine

#14 Buzz_LightBeer

Buzz_LightBeer

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:35 AM

True is releasing an Intermediate 68 next year

Good Idea; Whistling while you work.

Bad Idea; Whistling while you eat.

#15 beerleague_grinder

beerleague_grinder
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 21 January 2017 - 04:39 PM

5'9 180 and I'm hooked on 70-75 flex twigs, life changing lol.

I'm similar size and I agree, I switched to a senior length 75 flex cut 1"
and it changed my game completely

#16 AmeriCanadian

AmeriCanadian
  • LocationMO

Posted 25 January 2017 - 06:23 PM

I think this would be the topic to ask this question in so the warrior qrl pro comes with a shaft 3 inches longer than the regular qrl which is like there free flex zone. Does anyone know how much this 3 inch extension lowers the flex from say a 75? I'm guessing it'd be somewhere around a 65? I shot with a buddy's qrl pro one time that hadn't been cut and my shot was instantly better. Thanks!

#17 BigDaws

BigDaws
  • LocationBelleville, ON

Posted 26 January 2017 - 07:08 AM

A 3" extension is apprx 5lbs less of pressure, thus making your 75 a 70

Tickle the twine

#18 DaleWeise22

DaleWeise22

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:20 AM

What type of endplug can fit on intermediate stick? Junior or Senior?

#19 x-axis

x-axis
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:41 AM

What type of endplug can fit on intermediate stick? Junior or Senior?

It really depends on your preference. I modify my end plugs so I use a senior wood extension and sand and plane.

Depending on what you like you could use either a senior or junior wood extension.

In terms of composite extensions, I've found that you have to use a junior extension if you are using a warrior intermediate. 

Despite long uses with a heat gun, I wasn't able to make a senior composite extension work.

Old Buyer/Seller Feedback-http://www.sports2k....axis/?hl=x-axis

Want to buy:

Small Shells

Large Edge Practice Socks White with navy stripe 

Large Edge Practice Socks Burgundy with white stripe 

#20 mjpisat

mjpisat

Posted 04 April 2017 - 06:05 PM

True is the only one who makes Intermediate shaft dimensions similar to senior?