Photo

Custom Skates

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Nickerjones

Nickerjones

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:12 PM

I didn't see another thread about this so I guess ill start one. We can use this to discuss your experience with getting custom skates made. I have been thinking about getting them down for my poor feet ... MY big toes take a beating and I even have wide skates. Im diabetic so stuff messing with the toes is no good. Anyway.. Discuss brands, pricing, mods , etc... Im interested in custom Bauers or Grafs

#2 numan

numan
  • LocationDallas

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:33 AM

Wear flexlites/ nexus for Bauer. Or order a EEE but there is no way Bauer is letting you into their warehouse to make a foot mold and make a fully custom pair

#3 Nickerjones

Nickerjones

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:49 PM

Wear flexlites/ nexus for Bauer. Or order a EEE but there is no way Bauer is letting you into their warehouse to make a foot mold and make a fully custom pair

Money can solve a lot of things eh?

but really I know a few years ago there was a 100 dollar up charge for custom skates..

#4 Watchgreat

Watchgreat

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:57 PM

The upcharge is just for ordering skates with more specific sizes, not a foot mold.

#5 numan

numan
  • LocationDallas

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:59 PM

Yeah a foot mold is gonna cost you more than you probably have or should spend...a lot of NHL players don't even get a foot mold

#6 Nickerjones

Nickerjones

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:05 PM

ok , that's awesome but i never mentioned anything about a mold ?

#7 timdog

timdog

HOCKEY: Making Dentist Rich Since 1875 :)

• PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationThe hammer

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:41 PM

I know the local store here charges 100$ for custom bauers on top of the regular price of skates....

#8 numan

numan
  • LocationDallas

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:13 PM

I know I'm just saying its a $100 up charge if you want EEE or something but that's it. It's not anymore custom than that if you want more custom then that you need a mold...this is what I'm telling you to try and help you like you asked. No need to be a dick

#9 Yetso

Yetso
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:39 PM

Hey Numan do you know how much it costs to get a mold? Not that I'll ever be able to afford it, just wondering
Phrasing people! Phrasing!!!

#10 Nickerjones

Nickerjones

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:08 PM

well its prob not unaffordable to get a mold. i mean it couldn't be more than a couple grand but I don't wanna spend a few grand on skates.... However for some reason I remember graf would do custom stuff like Gell lined toe caps, etc ..

and Numan , I wasn't being a dick buddy. Sorry if it came off like that.

#11 x-axis

x-axis
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:11 PM

You guys are wrong about customs. I'm getting fitted tomorrow and its more than a proper width or length, it involves the amount of padding, type of tongue, toe cap, vamping, eyelets, etc.... I think you have to know an experienced custom skate fitter or a skate rep. The upcharges vary by company.
My upcharge quote for Bauers was 200
My upcharge quote for Grafs was $$$$ because you can customize a lot more including color. You can also customize the 7 series so their upcharges vary and could be cheaper.

Every fitter is different and can give you a different quote. No mold necessary!

Old Buyer/Seller Feedback-http://www.sports2k....axis/?hl=x-axis

Want to buy:

Small Shells

Large Edge Practice Socks White with navy stripe 

Large Edge Practice Socks Burgundy with white stripe 

#12 Nickerjones

Nickerjones

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:38 PM

You guys are wrong about customs. I'm getting fitted tomorrow and its more than a proper width or length, it involves the amount of padding, type of tongue, toe cap, vamping, eyelets, etc.... I think you have to know an experienced custom skate fitter or a skate rep. The upcharges vary by company.
My upcharge quote for Bauers was 200
My upcharge quote for Grafs was $$$$ because you can customize a lot more including color. You can also customize the 7 series so their upcharges vary and could be cheaper.

Every fitter is different and can give you a different quote. No mold necessary!

who and where did you get quoted?

#13 numan

numan
  • LocationDallas

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:14 AM

Yetso no I do not know how much it cost to get a mold but I would assume a lot...

X-axis no we are not wrong we are talking about somethig different getting "fitted" and getting a mild made and a skate made around that are completely different. I can get a Bauer skate completely "fitted" to me just as you described for less than a retail pair of skates....do I have no idea why you're paying an up charge

#14 x-axis

x-axis
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:55 AM

Numan?!?? A custom skate "fitting" involves foot tracings, measurements of the heel width and forefoot width, photos of the foot and specific notes on a spec sheet. No way you are getting that for less than retail unless you know someone. There is an upcharge to have that done. A very select few have access to make a mold unless you see an orthopedist who can do that for you.

For example (taken from msh):
Widths/Standard •D, 2E •Ball – B, C, D, E, EE, EEE, EEEE, EEEEE •Heel – AA, A, B, BB

Tongues/Standard •Molded anatomical tongue with high-density metatarsal guard Changes •Regular black felt •Supreme black felt tongue •Double Black felt

•Stiffness # 2 is the standard stiffness •Stiffness # 3 and Stiffness # 4 is the maximum. •Add material at top of skate, can only be done by using a size bigger upper •Cut back lacing by 1/8” or 3/8”, can only be done for the top 4 eyelets only. •Reinforce eye rows and eyelets. •Add one extra eyelet or removed one eyelet(without adding material) •Low vamping or High vamping. Top Guard

Lining options Standard •HYDROPHOBIC CLARINO •Different color Clarino •Gripliner

Ankle Padding/Standard •Lightweight premium Insta-form + foam ankle pads Changes •1/16” minicel foam in heels only or from heels to top guard we can even add a 1/16" of foam to the whole thing. •Extra padding in ankle pads •Oversize ankle pads •Move ankle pads higher or closer to eyelets

Counters/Changes •Cut counters for spurs •Oversize intergraded ankle for higher ankle bones aka donut ankle.

Allowable Changes •At small toes and big toes •Outside •In arches

Toe Caps/Allowable Changes •Smaller size •Oversized

Old Buyer/Seller Feedback-http://www.sports2k....axis/?hl=x-axis

Want to buy:

Small Shells

Large Edge Practice Socks White with navy stripe 

Large Edge Practice Socks Burgundy with white stripe 

#15 numan

numan
  • LocationDallas

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:13 AM

Yep.....I can do it all for less than retail

#16 Peteypablo11

Peteypablo11

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:16 AM

^ He's an Equipment manager....

#17 FATPHILLY

FATPHILLY
  • LocationThe Big City

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:03 AM

Yep.....I can do it all for less than retail

Guess ur the man to see for new NXG? :)
ALWAYS LOOKING TO BUY TEAM USA AND FLYERS GEAR..AND ANYTHING ELSE RARE

#18 numan

numan
  • LocationDallas

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:47 PM

Already had em and sold em haha

#19 Watchgreat

Watchgreat

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:41 PM

What team are you the EQM for numan?

#20 Sabres

Sabres
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:34 AM

X-axis , numan Is correct! You will not get an actual
MOld of your foot...they will offer you all of the stuff you mentioned, but it's not a true custom skate like pros get with having there own mold on hand.... Good luck!