Photo

Heel lifts vs Steel profiling

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 60PlusWinger

60PlusWinger

Posted 12 November 2017 - 12:40 PM

Heel lift vs Steel Profiling

Right now I’m in 1S customs. I have volume issues that force me out of a Vapor boot even though that’s my boot of choice. I am considering adding a heel lift to give me a better forward pitch but also profiling my steel. The problem with steel profiling is that it’s expensive and tricky if you don’t have the same guy sharpening your skates. My skates fit very well, I just feel a bit flat footed when accelerating from a complete stop and superfeet aren’t an option because my boot is so aggressively fit (superfeet will take too much volume and I will get lace bite). I’m in a 8.25 (left) and 8.0 (right) with 280s and LS4 Steel. Thoughts?

#2 bluhmd

bluhmd
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:31 PM

Are you wanting to stay on a Tuuk holder? If not, the CCM holder is pitched more forward and the holes do line up with Tuuk. I just made the switch myself. Either way, I would still get them profiled as it can be a big piece of skating. If you want to stay in a Tuuk holder, have a 3mm-ish heel lift put in and then profile them to your play style. I personally have CCM holders with a profile of 9 1/2 in the front and 10/12 in the rear. Absolutely love it.

#3 Fooj

Fooj
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:56 PM

I always just do lifts so i have less to do when i get new steel

IG: Fooj Media

#4 gosinger

gosinger
  • LocationAustria

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:24 AM

Heel lift is pretty easy to do and every decent hockey shop should be able to do them - otherwise you can do them yourself with T-nuts (I did so with my 1x).

It would be also be an option to re-bake the skates with the superfeet (insert them directly after baking), which might alleviate some of the discomfort/lace-bite.

#5 Erock84

Erock84
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:21 AM

Are you removing your stock insole when using your superfeet?

#6 60PlusWinger

60PlusWinger

Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:31 AM

I used to have superfeet in when I was +2 quarters and facing but I dropped down to +1 to have less depth but there’s no room for Superfeet in the boot now. I’m running speed plates and have 3mm lifts being put in this weekend. I explained my experience to my shop guy and he said heel lifts sound like they’re exactly what will correct the flat footed feeling because Tuuk Edge Holders are not as forward pitched as lightspeed Holders which had a heel slightly higher than Tuuk customs. They basically said that from Tuuk Customs to LS the back of the holder was risen while the front was lower for a higher pitch but when they made the Tuuk Edge they made the holder taller but ended up leveling out the front so it was no longer pitched the same (forward) as the Lightspeed.

#7 Erock84

Erock84
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:44 AM