Photo

William Nylander Skate profile?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Joron

Joron

Posted 24 August 2021 - 09:10 AM

Just bought some Nylander skates and wondering if anyone knows his skate profile or cut?

Thanks

#2 Joron

Joron

Posted 24 August 2021 - 10:49 AM

Steel is Ramon steel and the email from them in Sweden says its a 4.3 meter radius and 15mm hollow cut if anyone knows of a comparable?

Thanks

#3 flip12

flip12
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark

Posted 25 August 2021 - 12:05 PM

Steel is Ramon steel and the email from them in Sweden says its a 4.3 meter radius and 15mm hollow cut if anyone knows of a comparable?
Thanks

4.3m ~> 14.1’
15mm = 0.591” ~> 19/32 = 0.594”

15mm is the standard hollow in Denmark. Might be nearly as common in Sweden as well.

#4 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 25 August 2021 - 02:59 PM

15mm is equivalent to 5/8" on the Blademaster quill. Like said above, it's is pretty much the standard for European skaters.

On a similar note: the European players I've sharpened for go very shallow, usually 3/4"-7/8". They usually bring their sharpening preferences from the bigger European ice over to the North American ice. 

"What is your lowest/best price?" is NOT an offer. 

#5 flip12

flip12

Posted 25 August 2021 - 03:34 PM

15mm is equivalent to 5/8" on the Blademaster quill. Like said above, it's is pretty much the standard for European skaters.

On a similar note: the European players I've sharpened for go very shallow, usually 3/4"-7/8". They usually bring their sharpening preferences from the bigger European ice over to the North American ice. 

Skating over here I like 25mm now, almost exactly 1". I'm thinking of going to 30mm though, if I invest in my own Prosharp dressing tool. We have a 1001 in our rink but there are only a few people with dressing tools. I've been considering trying a long radius like that too. 11's the longest I've tried and it's my favorite so far by far.

#6 Joron

Joron

Posted 25 August 2021 - 05:41 PM

Guys thanks very much I appreciate it!
I’m currently in VH with Quad zero profile and a 5/8 cut so we shall see…

#7 Robbieaik

Robbieaik

Posted 25 August 2021 - 05:44 PM

Standard in Sweden is for sure full inch.

Had one guy on my Pro team that had 20mm - ~6,5/8s.

A few skated with 1”+3/8s. (35mm).

Also doubt the danes Would have 15mm as a standard.

Malte Setkov for example skated with 1” 3/16. (30mm) But had 1+3/8s when he arrived.

Victor Söderström goes with the same.

Oliver Wahlström had 5/8s But now uses full inch on a pitched Quad 2 profile.

#8 flip12

flip12

Posted 25 August 2021 - 11:17 PM

We could be talking about different subsets of Danes playing hockey. I don’t know any current pros or what specs they’re on. There are two shops in Copenhagen, and one of them will do whatever hollow you ask for. The owner gave the impression that 25mm was an unusual but not unheard of request. The other shop does your skates at 15 or 18, I can’t remember which.

#9 Robbieaik

Robbieaik

Posted 26 August 2021 - 07:27 PM

We could be talking about different subsets of Danes playing hockey. I don’t know any current pros or what specs they’re on. There are two shops in Copenhagen, and one of them will do whatever hollow you ask for. The owner gave the impression that 25mm was an unusual but not unheard of request. The other shop does your skates at 15 or 18, I can’t remember which.

First of all pros rarely sharpen at regular shops, they Usually know an equipment manager that can shapren for them.

18 Used to be the go-to-cut for intermediate players/juniors at age 14-18ish.

Last season I got to see the list for Modo j18/20 players and literally more players had 35-40mm than below 27-28.
40 is not far from flat, the newer prosharps can dress up to 45mm Before it gets a flat cut.

Carl Hagelin used a Zuperior M profile With 25-28 hollow, and he knows his stuff.
Marcus Sörensen, another grest skater goes with a 3,05meter/10feet - old CCM standard radius and goes with the full inch cut.

Oliver Tärnström (92ovr 2020, Rangers) - son of former NHLer Dick Tärnström, skates on the New Ellipse profile with a full inch Cut. Interesting profile for sure, but I Went back to my special 0,5 pitch Q2 profile with 27-28mm (- Full inch+1/8inches.)
Tärnström also used to skate with mars blades.

Jesper Vikman, vegas Goalie prospect (125ovr, 2020) uses a reversed skater profile, the Detroit 2 on a half inch cut, Pretty dull for a goalie but he skated very well for a goalie, new school style.

#10 flip12

flip12

Posted 28 August 2021 - 01:43 AM

First of all pros rarely sharpen at regular shops, they Usually know an equipment manager that can shapren for them.

Oh I know. My point was I’m not in that loop, and most players in Denmark aren’t either so my idea of what’s standard has a different group of players in mind.

One of the few former pros I have met didn’t have a clue though. He played D1 and then SEL, but loved his Grafs because “their stock radius is so short I can just spin like a top on them.”

#11 Robbieaik

Robbieaik

Posted 28 August 2021 - 06:36 PM

Graf skates were popular due to their natural forward pitch and also because of their holders that you could adjust the blade leaning yourself.

Even ten year’s ago was a way different story than nowadays, both with profiling and blade cut/hollow.

2010 around 20 Was being considered standard and for some even dull.
~2015: 25 was the New 20.
~2020: 30 is the New 25.

For myself I Can’t go with full inch any more, it’s way too sharp when freshly sharpened.

If I would play in crowded arenas I would go with 30.