Photo

Separate Section on the Forum for Businesses and eBay Sellers?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 wrbush31

wrbush31

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:19 PM

This topic has been discussed in various other threads on and off again so I thought I would start this thread here to get this going and possibly gain some ground.

Obviously we all have seen an increase in traffic/membership around here lately. With that has come an increase in businesses or ebay stores trying use the forum to promote themselves. In some cases, this has been great, in other cases it's been terrible.

The biggest complaint is that these businesses have been flooding or spamming our marketplace where us average joes are just trying to buy and sell our gear to fuel our addiction. We've even seen some guys making accounts, not familiarizing themselves with the operation and spamming other sections of the forum. Very frustrating!

I think it's naive of us to say that we haven't benefited from some of these. I think of DDunks/Ziggy Sports and the tape deal that a ton of us took advantage of. We obviously want to know if these sellers have a unique product to offer us, we just don't want it to get in the way of the day-to-day operations of the forum, especially the marketplace.

All this said, I think we should consider creating a section for vendors to post what they are looking to promote. We could also include an ebay section where people can post their ebay stores OR members could even drop their own ebay links. Everyone seems to dislike when we put our ebay links in the marketplace and this would help resolve that issue as well. This keeps the marketplace clean and flowing normally and still gives us the ability to see what these businesses have to offer in their "own little world" on the forum. Totally harmless and non-intrusive.

As mentioned in a different thread, Harv has seen a forum charge business a lot of money for this function, and I've seen plenty of forums where there is an isolated section for both businesses AS WELL AS ebay links from the members of the forum. Dupes would have to decide if he wants to charge and how he'd like to go about it, but in the meantime, it would at least clean up the forum a little bit.

I'm just throwing this all out there. I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks and what they would suggest.

Dupes, it's your forum, your call. Totally not offended if you just shoot this down right away! Just trying to help out!

Sorry about the book, boys! :bored: Thanks for sticking with the read if you made it this far :up:

#2 FATPHILLY

FATPHILLY
  • LocationThe Big City

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:45 AM

This topic has been discussed in various other threads on and off again so I thought I would start this thread here to get this going and possibly gain some ground.

Obviously we all have seen an increase in traffic/membership around here lately. With that has come an increase in businesses or ebay stores trying use the forum to promote themselves. In some cases, this has been great, in other cases it's been terrible.

The biggest complaint is that these businesses have been flooding or spamming our marketplace where us average joes are just trying to buy and sell our gear to fuel our addiction. We've even seen some guys making accounts, not familiarizing themselves with the operation and spamming other sections of the forum. Very frustrating!

I think it's naive of us to say that we haven't benefited from some of these. I think of DDunks/Ziggy Sports and the tape deal that a ton of us took advantage of. We obviously want to know if these sellers have a unique product to offer us, we just don't want it to get in the way of the day-to-day operations of the forum, especially the marketplace.

All this said, I think we should consider creating a section for vendors to post what they are looking to promote. We could also include an ebay section where people can post their ebay stores OR members could even drop their own ebay links. Everyone seems to dislike when we put our ebay links in the marketplace and this would help resolve that issue as well. This keeps the marketplace clean and flowing normally and still gives us the ability to see what these businesses have to offer in their "own little world" on the forum. Totally harmless and non-intrusive.

As mentioned in a different thread, Harv has seen a forum charge business a lot of money for this function, and I've seen plenty of forums where there is an isolated section for both businesses AS WELL AS ebay links from the members of the forum. Dupes would have to decide if he wants to charge and how he'd like to go about it, but in the meantime, it would at least clean up the forum a little bit.

I'm just throwing this all out there. I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks and what they would suggest.

Dupes, it's your forum, your call. Totally not offended if you just shoot this down right away! Just trying to help out!

Sorry about the book, boys! :bored: Thanks for sticking with the read if you made it this far :up:

+1. I don't. Mind ppl selling here like that. But that's all they are doin. If they would buy and trade or help ppl it would be different. Cause I'm lookin at it like I sell a lot! It's almost half of what I do. So i know some ppl don't like guys that just come to sell. But i sell/buy/trade so I don't think I fall under that...bottom line is if ur a business and comin just to sell then they should have there own section. And ppl who just sell here should maybe go under that also (I know that's really to much to ask but just what I'm thinking so don't kill me for sayin it). Ppl who add to this site is what makes it great. It's the ppl that just wanna sell and ppl who just wanna point out ppl that make it bad
ALWAYS LOOKING TO BUY TEAM USA AND FLYERS GEAR..AND ANYTHING ELSE RARE

#3 FATPHILLY

FATPHILLY
  • LocationThe Big City

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:46 AM

I say that because some ppl may look at ppl like myself and few others that sell a lot of stuff as guys who just come here to sell and nothing else and that's not the case

#4 Sabres

Sabres
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:28 AM

Fatphilly, this does not apply to you! You are exactly what this board wants! The pro stock gear lover , who likes to privately buy, sell, and trade gear! I believe this solution will get us closer to the reason this site was developed, and please many menbers...Its not like these ebay guys(buisnesses) use this board for anything other than moving thier gear! Some of these guys have 60 posts, 59 of them in gear sale? Lets do it!!
They can have thier own "Island" to frolick and post thier ebay spam! Thanks!
Your right Philly, there are members here that strickly use gear sale forum....but its so easy to see whos who....Find my Content!!
Pretty easy to see, who's who here!! :LOL:
Like it or not Philly....you are one of the "core" members here! Personally I like you, and the content you post!!
Good work!! :LOL:
And also, thanks wrbush31 for "taking the reins" on this!

#5 wrbush31

wrbush31

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:32 AM

My thoughts exactly. I think Matt and his selling practices are perfectly acceptable for the regular Marketplace.

You also contribute and post elsewhere, Matt. As Sabres said, guys like you are good for the forum.

#6 Sabres

Sabres

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:49 AM

My question is.....How is this going to stop Ebay buisnesses from just posting thier gear in single posts without ebay links? Like DDunks is doing now?? Is this going to cause the board to be over run with ebay sellers itemizing all thier gear into separate single posts? You know? :mad2:

#7 Brian

Brian

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:46 AM

Why not make an advertiser section? They can help dupes out by paying a small fee.

#8 wrbush31

wrbush31

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:58 AM

My question is.....How is this going to stop Ebay buisnesses from just posting thier gear in single posts without ebay links? Like DDunks is doing now?? Is this going to cause the board to be over run with ebay sellers itemizing all thier gear into separate single posts? You know? :mad2:

The argument would be "who cares?" It's in their own section so it doesn't matter. Of course, rules could e setup thy require them not to do that. We could establish policies and standards around it.

#9 wrbush31

wrbush31

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:00 PM

Why not make an advertiser section? They can help dupes out by paying a small fee.

I don't think this is a bad idea but would have to be up to Dupes obviously and I have a feeling it could only create more headaches for him. All of the sudden this forum becomes a "business" for him and he has to jump through hoops and follow government rules.

Just my thoughts, but I may be wrong.

#10 Harv

Harv
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:12 PM

The general spirit of the Buy/Sell section is for normal hockey guys to buy and sell their gear. No one is going to make a living off it and use it as a full time job.

Once businesses start coming onto this forum and their mouse pointer never leaves the 'sell' section is what screws up the vibe. Look at the businesses who sell here. You'll never see them post anywhere except the gear exchange. They don't add any value to the community what so ever. They come in here with no respect to anyone, type in all caps like some kind of barbarian who has never seen a keyboard, and exploit the valued users here. The funny thing is that they do a crappy job at selling. Vague details, no pictures, and no prices.

Exploit users long enough and you won't have users for long.
WTB: Blackhawk Hossa Franchises

#11 DDunks1

DDunks1
  • LocationJohnstown, PA

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:28 PM

I am in full favor of the separate section. However, I would not be in favor of paying a fee. I don't know why most people seem to be against me. I'm not here to rip people off, but I just want to promote my business. People who buy off of us are usually very happy, you can see that in our 99.8% positive feedback on Ebay.

#12 Brian

Brian

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:07 PM

I'm not against you.

While selling on ebay, the seller must pay fees. For a brick and mortar business, the owner must pay employees and taxes and all sorts of stuff. Sports2k is becoming an avenue for some businesses to sell their stuff now without any of those fees. Why? I am guessing dupes probably needs to pay some money to keep this forum live. Why not have those businesses pay a little money to him to help cover those costs?

#13 FATPHILLY

FATPHILLY
  • LocationThe Big City

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:34 PM

I am in full favor of the separate section. However, I would not be in favor of paying a fee. I don't know why most people seem to be against me. I'm not here to rip people off, but I just want to promote my business. People who buy off of us are usually very happy, you can see that in our 99.8% positive feedback on Ebay.

Not against u. But that's just it. Ur here to promote ur business and nothing else. This for isn't here to just sell. We are here to buy/sell/trade and talk and help each other out with pro stock. Sellin is just a small part. And if we don't do something bout it soon there's goin to be 100 more ppl just like u here. But it's not a bad thing. It's just not a good thing also. There just needs to be something to be able to tell the businesses and ppl like me apart.

#14 Sabres

Sabres

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:32 PM

Just to be clear DDunks,
No one is questioning your buisnes practices, your feedback here speaks for itself...We know you are a stand up buisness man, thats not the issue here. We are seeing this pattern and many people are looking ahead to the future of this great site! We can see what is happening and just trying to deal with it in its infancy, No disrespect to you and your buisness DDunks!

#15 underworldeagle

underworldeagle
  • LocationMontreal, Qc

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:15 PM

how about having a post minimum before you are allowed to sell?
it would ensure that members are active in the forum and not just here to make money

#16 wrbush31

wrbush31

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:25 PM

it would ensure that members are active in the forum and not just here to make money

I don't think that's a bad idea IN ADDITION to this idea being discussed.

#17 kevin92285

kevin92285

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:38 PM

Not so sure about that, it's pretty easy to get your post thread up.

#18 Nickerjones

Nickerjones

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:41 PM

I don't think anyone is against you. However go to your profile and look through your content. You only post on here to line your pockets ( which is fine) . You aren't in any other threads so technically you're not a contributing member to this community. You are just a business who signed up to sell and get free advertisement. Why should you not have to pay a fee ?

And I am not being a jerk at all. I am just calling it how it is . That being had you sell some good stuff :up:

#19 Monty22

Monty22

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:51 PM

Not so sure about that, it's pretty easy to get your post thread up.

As much as many of you like to bash MSH, their system for both post quanity and quality before acessing the sell section works.

#20 wrbush31

wrbush31

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:55 PM

As much as many of you like to bash MSH, their system for both post quanity and quality before acessing the sell section works.

Agreed. This practice is seen in the majority of forums that involve buying, selling, and trading. Mods will typically delete posts and warn users that are obviously trying to run their post count up.

This paired with the vendor section should help a lot.