Photo

Fake ebay accounts

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ibeck

ibeck
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:24 AM

I've been on ebay for a few years now and I was just wondering if sellers make fake accounts to up the bid amounts of their auctions. Specifically bidders like l***i that have those stars in their user names. I see he has 455 feedbacks received but it's not the first time I've seen an account with stars try to run up an auction.

Just wondering what you guys thing, I'm just trying not to get screwed.

"When you have and you love it, you can go all the time"-Alex Ovechkin

"The difference between an amateur and a pro is that an amateur does it when he wants to do it, a pro does it because he wants to do it" -Ryan Walter

Member #657

#2 Brian

Brian

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:44 AM

Sure, it could happen. There was a lot of discussion of POWERPLAYAUCTIONS doing this.

#3 FATPHILLY

FATPHILLY
  • LocationThe Big City

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:00 PM

The stars are so u can't see the name. Only one that can see the whole name are the sellers of the item like if I'm sellin something and u bid. I can see ur name but anyone else will only see f****j (544).
ALWAYS LOOKING TO BUY TEAM USA AND FLYERS GEAR..AND ANYTHING ELSE RARE

#4 FATPHILLY

FATPHILLY
  • LocationThe Big City

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:01 PM

The stars are so u can't see the name. Only one that can see the whole name are the sellers of the item like if I'm sellin something and u bid. I can see ur name but anyone else will only see f****j (544).
ALWAYS LOOKING TO BUY TEAM USA AND FLYERS GEAR..AND ANYTHING ELSE RARE

#5 auditory

auditory
  • Locationflorida

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:05 PM

Philly is right. They do it for privacy. I'm not even certain if the letters are two letters that actually belong in that persons username either. They may be random but not sure.

#6 HockeySavants

HockeySavants
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:05 PM

Yes, all the time
He shot at the 2 hole....that's what she said

#7 Brian

Brian

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:10 PM

somehow double posted. sorry.

#8 ibeck

ibeck

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:32 PM

I was bidding/won a pair of brand new jofa elbow pads and I put in a bid yesterday. The other bidder hadnt bidded since the day before I bidded. If he was serious about winning the item, wouldnt he have tried to snipe it away from me in the last couple seconds? (which he didn't) I'm glad I won, but I'd rather pay $50 than $90 for the elbow pads.

"The difference between an amateur and a pro is that an amateur does it when he wants to do it, a pro does it because he wants to do it" -Ryan Walter

Member #657

#9 auditory

auditory
  • Locationflorida

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:05 PM

I was bidding/won a pair of brand new jofa elbow pads and I put in a bid yesterday. The other bidder hadnt bidded since the day before I bidded. If he was serious about winning the item, wouldnt he have tried to snipe it away from me in the last couple seconds? (which he didn't) I'm glad I won, but I'd rather pay $50 than $90 for the elbow pads.

Some people have auto bidders set up. They are programs and people can set certain things like If they get outbid it will do the next highest bid each time they get outbid up to a certain price and I think they can even set it for the last few seconds. Sketchy and annoying when people do this and ruins it for someone who actually wants the item and not just resell it.
Although to add to this, I wouldn't be surprised I people had fake accounts to shill bid their items to drive up the bids.

#10 Grizzly

Grizzly
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

As long as people can make multiple accounts, to option to shill bid stuff will be there until ebay shuts down. It annoys the crap out of me as well, but what can you do?

NHL teams could care less that you want a pair of brand new Warrior Luxe/Franchise custom thumb loop super custom digi toilet paper soft palm with double added reinforced custom Warrior logo backhand padding gloves or a 17 flex double kreps curve upside down toe hook stick from your fav player/team. -Bakes

#3k gsdhead.gif

#11 auditory

auditory
  • Locationflorida

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:51 PM

As long as people can make multiple accounts, to option to shill bid stuff will be there until ebay shuts down. It annoys the crap out of me as well, but what can you do?

It is what it is. Just gotta get lucky I guess or find the right deal

#12 thinkingjack

thinkingjack
  • LocationTempe, AZ

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:35 PM

the reason why you cant see the persons username who is bidding against you is because of "safety to the buyers" a few years ago i beat out a guy on a star wars item for a friend and some guy who went hardcore money against me to win freaked out he lost last minute and sent me threats so i think i can see why

Feel free to check out my hockey reviews, or random stuff

#13 ibeck

ibeck

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:30 AM

That would make sense

Member #657