Photo

Shin Pad Liner Mods to prevent wear over skate tongues?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 xstartxtodayx

xstartxtodayx
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 27 March 2023 - 10:12 AM

Just brainstorming and wanted to see if anyone has modified the bottom inside of their shin pad liners to prevent them from wearing down/ripping when wearing over skate tongues?  My 19K liners are starting to get some tears and seeing how the rest of the liner is in great shape (and how expensive they are to replace) I figure there must be something to sew on for the bottom 4" or so that would provide some better protection from wear when rubbing against the tops of the skates.  Not sure what material to try but ideally something wear resistant but not super heavy and something that can tolerate moisture... maybe padskinz?.

Any ideas or anyone do something like this already?

pic of my liners for reference, not the worst shape yet but would love to extend their life as much as possible.

52775257705_7bb6661ee7_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Schusteritsch, on Flickr

- Jon

#2 Miller55

Miller55

Posted 27 March 2023 - 10:15 AM

A good nylon should work

#3 Buzz_LightBeer

Buzz_LightBeer

Posted 27 March 2023 - 10:49 AM

CCMs new retail shins have that bottom 4” or so removable for just that purpose. You could cut the pad entirely just above the tongue line and stitch it back up.

Good Idea; Whistling while you work.

Bad Idea; Whistling while you eat.

#4 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 27 March 2023 - 02:23 PM

https://www.instagra...m/p/CqFA36DORqX

This is what I've done to two of my Jofa liners. I used felt and sewed them on, but Padskinz (without sewing) would work as well. 

"What is your lowest/best price?" is NOT an offer.