Photo

True tongue on Ccm FT4 Pro's

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 blazer88

blazer88
  • Locationlong island n.y

Posted 14 June 2023 - 07:42 PM

Hey' Guy's , having too much room in my FT4 Pro stock's toe box's .Seen on ebay or SLS , a pair of Ccm 's with true tongue , asked skate shop if this could be done & they said yes. Has anyone on here, ever had this done & how did it workout. Thanks

#2 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 15 June 2023 - 05:37 AM

I had the same issue with my 100ks and use Powerfoot inserts and makes all the difference in the world and only $20. Check them out before messing with tongues.

#3 blazer88

blazer88

Posted 15 June 2023 - 10:59 AM

I have tried powerfoot's before and didn't like feel , wearing around house. Looks like I'll try them again.

#4 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 15 June 2023 - 11:36 AM

+1 for putting Powefoot inserts in your skates. I'd skate in them a few times before making any decisions about the tongues. They break in and wrap around your toes after a skate or two. New tongues change the volume of the boot, not the toebox. If you want less volume, I'd get the thick 10mm CCM tongues with black felt. 

You can put True tongues on CCM XS boots, but it'd be costly and a lot of work. You'd have two options: 1. Removing the XS inserts from one pair of tongues and sewing them onto the True tongues 2. Removing a pair of XS inserts from a pair of CCM tongues, sewing them onto a piece of velcro, attaching that to the FT4 toebox, then attaching the true tongue to the velcro. I wouldn't recommend either unless you're absolutely dead set on having True tongues on your boots. If you do, you'd need an equipment manager or actual pro skate shop (not Pure Hockey) with knowledge and experience with tongue swaps to do this type of work. 

"What is your lowest/best price?" is NOT an offer. 

#5 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 15 June 2023 - 11:37 AM

They take up any negative space you have. Kind of reminds me of the fit of the Mako II's

#6 Miller55

Miller55

Posted 15 June 2023 - 12:39 PM

They take up any negative space you have. Kind of reminds me of the fit of the Mako II's

I assume you're referring to the power feet inserts here and not the tongues?

#7 blazer88

blazer88

Posted 15 June 2023 - 01:28 PM

+1 for putting Powefoot inserts in your skates. I'd skate in them a few times before making any decisions about the tongues. They break in and wrap around your toes after a skate or two. New tongues change the volume of the boot, not the toebox. If you want less volume, I'd get the thick 10mm CCM tongues with black felt. 

You can put True tongues on CCM XS boots, but it'd be costly and a lot of work. You'd have two options: 1. Removing the XS inserts from one pair of tongues and sewing them onto the True tongues 2. Removing a pair of XS inserts from a pair of CCM tongues, sewing them onto a piece of velcro, attaching that to the FT4 toebox, then attaching the true tongue to the velcro. I wouldn't recommend either unless you're absolutely dead set on having True tongues on your boots. If you do, you'd need an equipment manager or actual pro skate shop (not Pure Hockey) with knowledge and experience with tongue swaps to do this type of work. 

My thinking is  with the true tongue , the more you push it down into the boot , it covers the upper toebox. Seen a pair of Ccm's with this done on SLS or ebay a few years ago. Talked with PSB Pro services in N.C & they said $75 high ball park price. psbproservices.com

#8 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 15 June 2023 - 01:54 PM

I can do it at my shop. I've done this mod a few times before, so message me if you're interested. I have a few extra XS inserts that I can sew onto the True tongues so they sit under the toe box.

"What is your lowest/best price?" is NOT an offer. 

#9 Dasuchin

Dasuchin
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 June 2023 - 02:11 PM

My thinking is  with the true tongue , the more you push it down into the boot , it covers the upper toebox. Seen a pair of Ccm's with this done on SLS or ebay a few years ago. Talked with PSB Pro services in N.C & they said $75 high ball park price. psbproservices.com

This is exactly what I do with the tongue on my trues. The downside is you lose any sort of protection on the tongue since it goes so low. Every time I've thought about playing a game without pushing it down, it feels super weird, so I just keep pushing it down. I go shins over tongue anyway, so probably doesn't make a difference for me in terms of protection, I guess. But I've wondered if the newer trues with the slimmer toe cap has less of an issue.

#10 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 15 June 2023 - 04:41 PM

I assume you're referring to the power feet inserts here and not the tongues?

#11 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 15 June 2023 - 04:43 PM

Yes the Power Feet. Gives the fit of the Mako II as all negative space is filled but cushy, not a hard toe cap. If I remember correctly the Makos had either felt in the toe cap or the tongue extended into the toe cap but either way had a super close fit

#12 Miller55

Miller55

Posted 15 June 2023 - 05:06 PM

They have felt all the way down. Yes that's the idea of the power feet.

Imo, the tongue trick that True uses is fine if you already have the true tongues setup for your skates, but I couldn't imagine investing 100 bucks into them to reduce volume in the toe caps when there is a 20 dollar solution that works great. They won't be comfortable walking around your living room if you're not used to them, but once you skate with them you forget about it quickly. I would roll the dice on those before custom fitting True tongues for CCM skates

#13 blazer88

blazer88

Posted 15 June 2023 - 05:39 PM

Yeah , I'm putting the true / ccm tongue deal on the back burner. I am thinking more & more , I am between a 7 & 7.5 size. These Ft 4 pro's are 7.5. Just had a pair of jetspeed 2 pc skates dressed as FT2's that were 7.25 & 7, length wise & toe box they felt great. Sent them back to PSH , because I thought I was buying a 1 pc skate & was sent this 2 pc boot. Anyway , just picked up a pair of ft 490's in 7D , for a great price & going to see how they work out. Ft 490 was 2nd down from Ft2 & is a 1 pc skate. A 2nd price point skate is good enough for me.

#14 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 15 June 2023 - 06:09 PM

Ft 490 has a shallower toe box as well you might not need anything. I had Ft2s and didn't use the Power Feet inserts. Only when I got the 100 KS did I need them. Try on the new skates before you do anything. That is just my .02

#15 blazer88

blazer88

Posted 15 June 2023 - 09:24 PM

Ft 490 has a shallower toe box as well you might not need anything. I had Ft2s and didn't use the Power Feet inserts. Only when I got the 100 KS did I need them. Try on the new skates before you do anything. That is just my .02

Yup , I agree,. Should get the Ft 490's Monday , next time I play is Monday night. I'll try them out unbaked.

#16 xstartxtodayx

xstartxtodayx
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 16 June 2023 - 06:29 AM

Also the FT490 was on CCM's old sizing which slightly changed around that time so a 7.5 fits more like a 7.  I had FT490's and it was a very tight fit, I now have FT4 Pro's in same size (7.5) and it's noticeably roomier length wise, I ended up swapping the thicker XS tongues which took up some negative space to help snug them up and have always used Powerfoot inserts which I'll also suggest as others have, I just feel naked without them now lol.

- Jon

#17 90Style10Skill

90Style10Skill

Posted 16 June 2023 - 07:02 AM

I have tried powerfoot's before and didn't like feel , wearing around house. Looks like I'll try them again.

They feel weird when not skating but on the ice the extra pressure is unnoticeable. I’ve used them on every skate I’ve owned since 2015, including the current Pro Custom FT4s I’m in.

Custom everything.

#18 blazer88

blazer88

Posted 20 June 2023 - 06:38 AM

Tried the powerfoot inserts & felt & skated much better , when I picked up the inserts at Pure hockey , told them about my problem. They were Cool enough to scan my foot for size & they said I was a 7.5 wide. Told them I was having problems with loose forefoot in standard & thats why I bought tapered with these FT4 Pro's. They said the tapered has a little longer toe box & I also might have a length issue because of the tapered fit. Does that sound right to you guy's? Tried on the FT490's in 7D , I picked up & they felt like I could use them ( never really know until you use them on the ice ). But the pro stock made in Canada is a big deal for me. Does the tapered fit Ccm have a longer toe box , than the same size in standard or wide ?