Easton Mako Replacement

Mako True

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nicnok

nicnok
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 02 February 2024 - 05:04 PM

I saw PSH having a sale on skates this weekend and a pair of True Customs caught my eye. They appear to be my size and width, but I'm not sure if I should pull the trigger.

I have several pairs of Makos, at this point, and they're all obviously not at all new anymore. I guess I'm wondering if updating them will be much of a noticeable improvement? Thee's actually a couple questions I was wrestling with....

1. Has anybody made the switch from Makos to a more modern skate, possibly even a True? Was the performance noticeably better?
  2. Also, the boots on PSH don't have holders. I do, already, have a set of new CSX (Mako) holders and runners. Would it be stupid to install them? Should I get newer, more modern holders?
  3. Lastly, these are custom skates - but not custom to me. Stock Makos of the same size fit great, but who knows with these. My question is, are Trues at all anywhere near as heat moldable as Makos?

Sorry for so many (possibly dumb) questions. It's just been a long time since I bought skates and, while they're still pretty expensive, these are by far the cheapest top end skates I have access to.

Thanks, in advance, for anyone's help on this.

Attached File  Untitled-1.jpg   7.02KB   1 downloads

#2 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 02 February 2024 - 05:28 PM

I’ve never used makos so I can’t comment on those points. The True skates I’ve purchased from PSH had holders installed. True skates are crazy heat moldable, yes.

On the inside of the boot (under the insole) there should be a barcode that you can send to True and ask for exact specs (EE toe but A heel, different sized boots, etc). PSH doesn’t do this very well and I feel like they just throw up random sizes. Although, because they’re customs, you may be able to return them if they don’t fit

#3 markov94

markov94
  • LocationSarnia Ont,...then Lakeland FLA....then back to Sarnia

Posted 03 February 2024 - 10:06 AM

Trues are an excellent skate but take some time to get used to in terms of even putting on...it is awkward..

#4 Cavs019

Cavs019

Posted 03 February 2024 - 10:33 AM

My CCM 100Ks have been close if you can find a pair. The wrap is excellent and they’re the only skate in recent memory I can lace all the way up and still get a ton of forward flex. I did not like True/VH at all.

#5 althoma1

althoma1
  • LocationToronto

Posted 03 February 2024 - 01:40 PM

1. I have converted Makos for inline as well as Mako II skates to ref and play ice, but i also have a converted pair of True TF9 retail boots for inline. The TF9 fit about 1 full size larger than Makos (I have 8EE Mako II's and 7W TF9s), but that's retail and not custom - True also adjusted their sizing with the Catalyst and Hzrdus line (most people had to go down a half size vs. CCM and Bauer in the TF9s, but can use the same size in the Catalyst and Hzrdus lines). The depth and length of the 7W TF9 and 8EE Makos feels the same. The heel lock was already good for me in Makos, but feels better in the TF9. The TF9 is also stiffer. The tendon guard on the Makos are much more flexible and the toe box is more comfortable for my feet. True did come out with a new toe box with the Catalyst line and carried that over to the Hzrdus line. I tried some on and the toe box is definitely an upgrade on the TF9 toe box (at least for my feet). The Catalyst also has a more flexible tendon guard than the TF or Hzrdus skates. Since the Mako toe box is more comfortable for me, I still prefer skating in the Makos to the Trues, but the Trues are still nice, responsive skates. If I grab some Trues with the newer toe caps in the future, I may like them just as much or more. 
  2. You could install CXN Holders, but if you ever wear out or break steel, you'd have a hard time finding replacement steel unless you already have a bunch of spare steel. I might go with a CXN conversion myself because I actually do have some extra steel and holders from ice to inline conversions. If you don't have more than one set of CXN steel, it may make more sense to go with a modern holder. 
  3. Trues are very moldable and the luggage wrap method is helpful. 

Oh, one note that will help with getting the Trues on and off. With the Makos, I unlace the top two eyelets completely and really loosen the rest of the skates. I do the same with the Trues, but with the Makos I can rethread the top two eyelets over the tongue and really struggle with that with the Trues. What works for the Trues is to rethread the top two eyelets behind the tongue and then pull the laces over in front of the tongue. You still have to twist your feet to get them in a properly sized pair of Trues, but having the top two laces completely unlaced, the rest of the laces really loose and the tongue pulled forward makes it easier. It's just frustrating at first to try to relace the top eyelets (if you want to) until you learn the behind the tongue trick. 

#6 Miller55

Miller55

Posted 24 February 2024 - 10:41 PM

PXL-20240225-033845081.jpg

I would say the True feels closest, and the Catalyst closer to the M2 than the TF. Never tried the other line from True, Hazardous, but heard they were much more stiff than the Cat.

#7 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 25 February 2024 - 04:04 PM

True skates are highly heat moldable. I've found that the Catalyst line feels the closest to the Mako II. I have the Catalyst Pro, Catalyst 9, and Mako II's and can use them interchangeably with no issues. Avoid the Hzrdus line, as they are much stiffer.

"What is your lowest/best price?" is NOT an offer. 

#8 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 26 February 2024 - 05:45 AM

True skates are highly heat moldable. I've found that the Catalyst line feels the closest to the Mako II. I have the Catalyst Pro, Catalyst 9, and Mako II's and can use them interchangeably with no issues. Avoid the Hzrdus line, as they are much stiffer.

Agreed. True Catalyst is what is closest to the Mako skates.

Follow us: Instagram: http://instagram.com/sports2k_com#
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Stock-Hockey-Sports2Kcom/151010068304116

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mako, True