Photo

heat curving composite stick blades

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 B.Sponge

B.Sponge

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:27 AM

Hi everyone!
I know this is a delicate topic and on the modsquadhockey site I saw similar threads got closed really quickly ... and I know in most cases it will ruin your sticks/blades!
But it definitely works for some kind of blades and I'd like to hear what kind of blades you had success with? I just want to put more toe curve on a sakic and where i live retail toe curves like gionta are not available so its ether expensive custom sticks or i curve them myself.
In the past i had success with ccm vector 110 style blades (they were also on euro Reebok 10k sticks), older rbk 6k blades and recently warrior bentley. They all have in common that they have a solid core. But it also seemed to work on a Bauer one80 blade i had but it was already broken at the heel so i couldn't try it on ice but the curved toe was still really stiff. And this one had a foam core. At the moment its only the Bentley that i know that works but its heavy and soft to begin with... so what blades work for you?

#2 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:53 AM

welcome to sports2k :y
I tried that once for fun and ruined a stick, the blade melted :LOL:
Follow us: Instagram: http://instagram.com/sports2k_com#
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Stock-Hockey-Sports2Kcom/151010068304116

#3 invictus8

invictus8

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:14 AM

I've heard mixed stories. I know it works with wood blades but its very tricky with OPS. I love how this topic is treated like horcrux's in Harry Potter lol

#4 JoeyJ0506

JoeyJ0506
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:42 AM

It's because no one wants to be responsible for being the guy that gives advice that causes one or more people to destroy their stick. My buddy tried it with his TotalOne and ruined it. It is not a smart thing to do with a composite stick, period. Yes, I know the pros do it, but they also do not have to worry about the stick break prematurely because of the damage done to it by heating and curving the blade.

My advice, if you want a Gionta, Kremlin, Crazy Ovi, etc. just order it from Ice Warehouse, Hockey Monkey, Total Hockey, Pure Hockey, etc. I usually advocate patronage at an LHS, but if they do not stock what you want/need by all means order it.

#5 KidCoyote

KidCoyote
  • LocationBrantford, ON

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:39 AM

I did it to an old Sher-wood RM19 blade and it stayed solid. I just heated it up with a heat gun, made my ovi-style curve then quickly put it in a bucket of ice.

#6 Lunchbox4

Lunchbox4
  • LocationSt. John's, Newfoundland

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:09 AM

It's because no one wants to be responsible for being the guy that gives advice that causes one or more people to destroy their stick. My buddy tried it with his TotalOne and ruined it. It is not a smart thing to do with a composite stick, period. Yes, I know the pros do it, but they also do not have to worry about the stick break prematurely because of the damage done to it by heating and curving the blade.

My advice, if you want a Gionta, Kremlin, Crazy Ovi, etc. just order it from Ice Warehouse, Hockey Monkey, Total Hockey, Pure Hockey, etc. I usually advocate patronage at an LHS, but if they do not stock what you want/need by all means order it.

Couldn't agree more, :up: I'm a big fan of supporting the local store, but if they don't have what I want/need I buy online. Also, when I'm throwing $200+ on a stick.... I'm not experimenting on it... haha

#7 HockeySavants

HockeySavants
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:03 PM

It's not worth it unless you have already committed to throwing the money away.

Also any blade will curve under heat, the foams inside the blade will also breakdown
He shot at the 2 hole....that's what she said

#8 B.Sponge

B.Sponge

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:05 PM

Thanks for the answers so far!! I know its not recommended and maybe 80% of all blades will be destroyed when you try to curve them... but I'm looking for those 20% that you can curve ;)

#9 sharks25

sharks25
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:41 PM

All blades will break down somewhat when heated. I tried it on an older s17 two-piece blade. It broke on the third shot with it.