Photo

Favorite all time goalie masks

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 NYIslanders21

NYIslanders21
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:27 AM

So I recently had to get a new mask and finally after about 16 years of wanted to get my own mask airbrushed I finally pulled the trigger. I spent several days going over different variations of what theme I wanted and if I wanted to have a meaning to it or just something cool, what should my back plate be / say any little logos and all that good stuff. I finally came up with a rough design and dropped it off to the place where I am getting it done where we sat done and tweaked and added my ideas. So now its the waiting game and should see it in about 2-3 weeks and the suspense is killing me. Some goalies in the NHL go the easy way out and just do a variation of the team logo but others go way beyond and really personalize their mask and focus on them and not the team they play for (my favorite style). After all you rarely see the goalies face so you know him by his mask for the most part and that is him. There has been tons of famous masks but what are your favorites?

Mine personally is Ed Belfour (favorite goalie ) - it was always the Eagle and varied only really between realistic and 2d style but always loved it
Posted Image

Then say what you will about him but DiPietro always has great USA themed patriotic masks and aways an amazing piece of art.
Posted Image

#2 Mincy

Mincy
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

Tim, both of those masks are pretty sweet, Belfour's is definitely iconic.

Ken Wregget was one of my favorite goalies to watch (I was a Jagr fan when I first got into hockey) and his Penguin mask was one of the coolest I had seen. Just the look of the flat black on Hiller's mask is bad ass, I never noticed the Swiss emblem until now. Ray Emery's Iron Mike mask was great and kinda silly that it caused so much controversy. Finally, "Cheesey" Cheevers mask is pure legend.

Posted Image

I have to give honorable mention to Kari Lehtonen for his Chuck Norris inspired mask. :workout:

If any of you are looking for a good artist, check out Tony Jarrett. He has played on my team and does a lot of work for the Hurricanes.
www.maskedexpressions.com

"Speak softly and carry a big stick"  Feedback

#3 NYIslanders21

NYIslanders21
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:14 AM

Hillers Flat Black mask was great also his "Movember" mask was pretty sweet as well. I remember the "Penguin" mask def sweet...I mean really the list of great masks can go on and on...fingers crossed mine comes out as planned

#4 SSG_Beantown33

SSG_Beantown33
  • LocationGrafton, MA

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

I was just gonna post a pic of his "Mo" mask, which is pretty hilarious and in my top 3 of all time

#5 phillyflyers215

phillyflyers215
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

Mincy, I completely agree with you on that Hiller mask.
Posted Image
[img]http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/6jJhov8DqpC7xN6Sllr3kg--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusnhlexperts/hillermask06.jpg[/img]
[img]http://mit.zenfs.com/206/2011/12/hiller_darkwing14.jpg[/img]
[img]http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6li2beRkl1qbkjcso1_500.jpg[/img]

#6 darklight616

darklight616

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

Posted Image
one of the greats IMO. I grew up as a goalie and always loved the look.

#7 edo

edo

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

Vanbiesbrouck's (Don't quote me on that spelling) mask was always my fav as well.

#8 NYIslanders21

NYIslanders21
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

I miss the days of goalie nicknames - Eddie the Eagle, Felix the Cat, Beezer, Bulin Wall, Cujo...given he is still around and also Hedberg being Moose....but really miss those

#9 steedorf

steedorf

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

Felix Potvin, Vanbeesbrook (??) we're always my favourite.

#10 JBFG

JBFG
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

Patrick Roy during his Habs year. So classic.

Ed Belfour is close 2nd during his Chicago time

#11 PSnipes

PSnipes

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:06 PM

I'm a little biased, being a Sabres fan, but I always loved Ryan Miller's masks, especially his USA one!
Posted Image

#12 Mincy

Mincy
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

^is Uncle Sam holding a humongous big joint?

Potvin definitely had some style, his Toronto pads were the first I saw with a different design on them. Kolzig "Zilla" had some cool masks too.

"Speak softly and carry a big stick"  Feedback

#13 Ev--NYR

Ev--NYR
  • LocationMilton Keynes, UK

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:15 PM

I miss the days of goalie nicknames - Eddie the Eagle, Felix the Cat, Beezer, Bulin Wall, Cujo...given he is still around and also Hedberg being Moose....but really miss those

King Henrik, Optimus Reim, ummm...

okay those suck. point proven.

Hung Like A GeeGee

#14 Ev--NYR

Ev--NYR
  • LocationMilton Keynes, UK

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:36 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

These are only a few among many many others

Hung Like A GeeGee

#15 Hab4life

Hab4life
  • LocationSurrey BC Canada

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

Lots of favorite "paint jobs" being posted, as for all time favorite masks I'd have to go with Ken Drydens "pretzel" mask and Tony Esposito's mask, followed by Rogatein Vachon's "smiley" mask.

Another favorite of mine was Murray Bannerman's Chicago mask

#16 CrazyDanny

CrazyDanny
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:01 PM

I don't often play goalie, but when I do...Here's a pic of my mask - it's my ode to the North Carolina Outer Banks
Posted Image

#17 timdog

timdog

HOCKEY: Making Dentist Rich Since 1875 :)

• PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationThe hammer

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:53 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

The Goalie who wore the skull mask was Gary Bromley. The skull mask is a modifyed version of the one he wore while he played his one season with the Vancouver Canucks. Oddly the mask was not painted to be intimidating, but rather a reflection of his nick name Bones, because he was very slight of build.
Of coarse we've seen this mask in the good ol' movie "Youngblood" :)

#18 NYIslanders21

NYIslanders21
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:21 AM

I don't often play goalie, but when I do...Here's a pic of my mask - it's my ode to the North Carolina Outer Banks
Posted Image

I'm getting my mask done now and it has a lighthouse on my mask too (my towns "symbol" is a lighthouse and also works with repping the isles)

#19 numan

numan
  • LocationDallas

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

Always liked rinnes

Posted Image
Posted Image
And this one
Posted Image

#20 CrazyDanny

CrazyDanny
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

I'm getting my mask done now and it has a lighthouse on my mask too (my towns "symbol" is a lighthouse and also works with repping the isles)

Sweet. Definitely post pics when you get it back!