Photo

Do you go tongues in or out? And why?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 edo

edo

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

Hey guys,

Dont know if ts topic has been posted before but here is my questiion.

Do you go tongues in or out, and why? Beneifits of each, or is it purely for style points?

I am currently trying to decide what i like better, i have always gone tongues in but lately have been debating trying tongues out.

#2 Mincy

Mincy
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

I've always gone over the tongues with my shins because I grew up playing D, but in the last month I have given the flop a try. It might just be a mental thing, but I feel little more mobile with tongues out. If I take a puck above the laces, then I'll more than likely go back the old way. Until then, I'm rocking the flop.

"Speak softly and carry a big stick"  Feedback

#3 Mikepell33

Mikepell33
  • LocationMilton, ON

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

I always have had my tongues tucked in. I like my skates pretty tight and I find I get a better fit with them tucked in. Plus I block enough shots that the extra protection is an added bonus.

#4 twitchx116

twitchx116

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

I also tuck my tongues for the same reasons. I tie my skates really tight and the tongue out doesn't let me tie them as tight as I would like.

#5 Steelnation248

Steelnation248

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

Tongues tucked for me as well. I also tie my skates really tight, especially around the ankle. Plus tucking always felt more natural to me so I stick with it.

#6 sharks25

sharks25
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:13 PM

I go tongues out. I feel that it gives me a little more forward lean/ mobility. Ive always done it that way, now skating with them tucked feels bizarre.

#7 DField56

DField56
  • LocationSan Jose

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:24 PM

tuck em in, always have.. don't really have a reason

My Feedback

Always interested in Sharks gear

#8 Lunchbox4

Lunchbox4
  • LocationSt. John's, Newfoundland

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:34 PM

I've always tucked mine in, until i bought Graf's. The tongs are so long that it feels weird to tuck them in. I'm now a flopper. lol

#9 Grizzly

Grizzly
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:49 AM

My tongues are tucked. Ran flop for a while and couldn't get used to it. Love the snug feel of shin over tongue.

NHL teams could care less that you want a pair of brand new Warrior Luxe/Franchise custom thumb loop super custom digi toilet paper soft palm with double added reinforced custom Warrior logo backhand padding gloves or a 17 flex double kreps curve upside down toe hook stick from your fav player/team. -Bakes

#3k gsdhead.gif

#10 Monty22

Monty22

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:40 AM

In, for comfort.

#11 Beer leaguer

Beer leaguer

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

Tuck for most but some seasons ill go flop. In grafs again so I'd say flop might peak it's head out again. In not someone who judges others on their gear or style but ill face it that I care bout my own.

#12 Max92

Max92
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:25 AM

tongues out flop .. like kovalev !

#13 Hab4life

Hab4life
  • LocationSurrey BC Canada

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

I wear Graf's and tuck the big tongues under my shins, it's very comfortable, and for me, when it comes down to the foot and shin area, it's all about protection, nothing else really matters. The big tongues on Grafs give me that extra protection I like.

Besides, who wants to skate around looking like a Flop like Kovalev, the guy's a "has been" on a 32nd place team.

#14 liveevil

liveevil

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

For those of you guys who've done both, do you use the same size shins for in and out?

#15 Mincy

Mincy
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

Nope, 15" when tucked and 14" with flop. Another reason I started to go with the flop/tongues -out is the order I put on gear. Skates are now last, when before it was shins.

"Speak softly and carry a big stick"  Feedback

#16 liveevil

liveevil

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

Ah thanks. Gotta try it soon. Or stop blocking shots with my ankles...

#17 wrlittle

wrlittle
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

Tucked in for comfort. Hate the feeling of shins against the front of my foot.

#18 Conway12

Conway12
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:56 PM

Older thread, but for those that tuck your tongues, how far down do your shins go? I have a 15" and 16" shins and cannot decide which to keep. I feel like I am in between sizes. The 16s reach the second or third eyelet down, but the 15 don't even come down to the first - maybe around the top of the boot.

#19 ibeck

ibeck
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:58 PM

If your shins are down to the third eyelet, isn't that effecting the power you get when you skate? When you bend your knee does your shin pad touch the lower laces and therefore you cant get the most power out of each stride?

"When you have and you love it, you can go all the time"-Alex Ovechkin

"The difference between an amateur and a pro is that an amateur does it when he wants to do it, a pro does it because he wants to do it" -Ryan Walter

Member #657

#20 Conway12

Conway12
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:02 PM

No not at all. Doesn't quite go down to the third. Still feels slightly long, but nothing that hinders mobility.