Photo

any game used jersey experts? (Crosby gamer?)

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 jamielov

jamielov

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

http://www.ebay.com/...Y-/170990483057

Ive always wanted one, but am sadly not a rich man, so the $10,000 jerseys for sale just arent for me. Not saying this auction wont quickly head that way, but are there any telltale signs that this is legit/fake. I do see it has the Dana Heinze patch sewn in (and I asked the seller if it comes with the penguins letter) but those patches can be also faked, as i guess some fake meigrey tags were found on "game used" jerseys.

The penguins new game jerseys are nice now, because besides the letter/dana heinze patch, it also comes with a tracking chip that links to a system (and comes with a printout) of where and when jersey was played in, when the player dressed but didnt play, and who gave jersey out pregame and who it was turned into postgame. Short of getting the jersey directly from a player, that seems pretty good providence, and the main Penguins seller has been around for years and years, and has a great reputation. This seller simply lists it as coming from a private collection, and its his first sale.

Other concern is he lists no rips, tears, or repairs in the jersey, ive always been told dont ever buy a used jersey if you cant photo match something on it being worn.

All seem caution flags to me. Please share any and all thoughts!

#2 kevin92285

kevin92285

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

The seller has no feedback. That would be a huge concern for me.

#3 louie

louie
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

Plus that was their first Cup run too, I'd be skeptical.

#4 MikeO

MikeO
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

The pics are just too bad to look at any real detail. I find it real hard to believe that a game used jersey would have no repairs, board burns, stick marks, etc....especially Crosby who handles the puck for a significant portion of every game (look at Yzerman game used as an example, albeit different generation of jerseys).

The equipment manager patch looks similar to what I've seen on real Pens jerseys but can easily be reproduced.

In addition to the other comments above, i wouldn't trust it.

#5 skater1

skater1
  • LocationOHIO

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

I wonder if you could forward this auction to someone in the Pens organization who could really let you know how legit it is. Any way to contact eq manager?
WARRIOR WC Dan Cleary mitts
Any WARRIOR Dan Cleary mitts

#6 Too Old

Too Old
  • LocationIowa

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:35 PM

It also may be a legit gamer... but from another player and they stripped it and changed it to a Crosby jersey. Then it could've been signed at that point, or the number may have been bought already signed. Lots of ways to try to pull a fast one IMO.

#7 JXB

JXB
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

Also could have bought a game used/issued jersey from a non-star player, and taken the EQM patch out and put it in a retail authentic Crosby jersey. I'm not a game-used jersey expert, but it looks like the Edge 1.0 material, which you don't see on NHL gamers very often.

#8 skater1

skater1
  • LocationOHIO

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

I have contacted the Wings before buying some stuff...sent them pics and gave them hologram numbers and they are more than willing to look up info and look at pics to see if it's legit. I'd be surprised if Pens didn't do the same.
WARRIOR WC Dan Cleary mitts
Any WARRIOR Dan Cleary mitts

#9 jamielov

jamielov

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

I can probably send the link to the licensed buyer from the Penguins who distributes the jerseys and see what he thinks. There just seem to be a lot of unanswered questions and lack of documentation for such a high end players jersey, and I believe the Penguins licensed game used jersey buyer has been doing so for quite some time, so no doubt there would have been documentation from him involved in the initially transaction. Or at least a letter from the Penguins that accompanies all game used jerseys.

#10 Hellkitty

Hellkitty
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:12 PM

My WC jersey has his name in it. But my other gamer has a code on it. Contact J & J Distributing since they are the ones that get the jerseys every year.

#11 Fielder07

Fielder07
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:32 PM

I would guess that it is a fake. His jerseys will come with a team letter and the EQM signs the fight strap and initials the twill fight strap attachment. Also, one sold from a legit auction house that is photo matched from December of that season and they say that a search of Getty images imply he wore it for the rest of the season.

http://www.gameworna...r-3451-102.html

This guys auction claims it is a set 3, which I am guessing would have only been used in the playoffs based on the above. They went all the way to the finals, so it should be a little more beaten up given his ice time and the intensity of playoff games.

One thing I've learned with gamers is if it seems too good to be true, then don't buy it. If it was legit there would be paperwork and the guy would have made an effort to take decent pictures and give a good description. Not to mention a real collector that knows the market wouldn't start this jersey at $500...

EDIT

He also claims the 250 patch is "on each shoulder". It should only be on the right shoulder. Again, his pics suck so it cannot be verified.

Looking for new CCM HPTK pants - Black - Size XL

#12 Harv

Harv
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:10 AM

Looks like he faked that tag. 

He's a real tag from that year:

And the ebay tag:

$T2eC16V,!w0E9szNZIoyBRHdQ7tD(w~~60_12.J

Notice how the ebay tag has a different font on the Dana and how the stitching overlaps it. Not such on the real tag. 

WTB: Blackhawk Hossa Franchises

#13 Fielder07

Fielder07
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:21 AM

More proof this is a fake. Crosby's actual 2007-2008 set three jersey. Notice the difference in the cutting edge sports tag. Similar to what Harv said. Also, the real one had multiple team repairs and 2 LOAs.

http://sports.ha.com...6&lotIdNo=40005

#14 jamielov

jamielov

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:38 AM

My god...you guys are awesome! Im kicking around the idea of someday owning a Crosby jersey, and i was almost...almost 10% tempted to go all in on this jersey, in hopes of getting a steal price. I couldnt figure out what I didnt like about the sale on ebay, I just knew it didnt seem right. Im really glad asked.

The seller did answer one question, and it sealed it for me. I am not sure that the seller is being dishonest, or if he got ripped off. I asked where the jersey originated from, and what documentation he has. I was told it was obtained through Cutting Edge Sports, which s simply the manufacturing company on the tag, as since roughly 2000, I believe all sales go either through auctions or J&J Distribution, which comes with letters signed by the trainer and also the team sales rep, listing it as sold to J&J, and as I said above, now also come with the tracking chip that records when the jersey was signed out for a game, and when it was returned after the game. Nice there are more and more measures being put in place to protect collectors against forgeries.

#15 Hellkitty

Hellkitty
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

The chips started this year. If that was a real
Crosby gamer it would be $500.

#16 Fielder07

Fielder07
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

The chips started this year. If that was a real
Crosby gamer it would be $500.

What? Did you mean to say more than $500?