Photo

Stick Tape

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 balsy17

balsy17
  • LocationToronto

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:43 PM

I was wondering what kind of tape you guys use for your stick... what colour and why? I heard white tape is more sticky than black.. :dunno:

I always tape my shaft and knob with white tape cause I feel it doesn't eat into the palms of my gloves as much. For my blade I like to switch it up with black and white (I love the park markings that come from using the white tape on my blade)

Your thoughts? Any other colours?

#2 Hab4life

Hab4life
  • LocationSurrey BC Canada

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:48 PM

I use both white and black tape, Renfrew Brand. All depends on what stick I'm taping when it comes to color, if the white looks better {matches}then I use it, same for the black, how fucking anal is that eh ? :rofl:

I'm gonna start using white and just rub it with a puck and get that Kane look for the next game and see how I like it. I think it looks pretty cool, but cool doesn't score goals so..........

#3 dirtysouthgentleman

dirtysouthgentleman

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

i always use white so i can see the puck marks on the forehand and backhand - makes me feel like i can see whats going on after the game

#4 Beer leaguer

Beer leaguer

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

Renfrew white toe taped. Wax. Sometimes I do the puck rub depends.

#5 IDoezIt

IDoezIt
  • LocationMN

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:04 PM

Handle - White Renfrew tape. Sometimes i use their Gauze Grip tape.. Just on and off.

Blade - Black Renfrew (Applied with Wax)

Why? Idk.. Always been that way.. White is a little less harsh on your gloves and i just like the way it looks. And black tape for the blade just cause its a clean look, and not distracting with all the puck marks and what not. Ill use white for Pond hockey sticks just cause it gives it character lol .. Idk what im saying.

I actually m trying out Comp-o-stick tape and im not liking it.. It just seems to soft for the blade and gets trashed QUICKLY..

ISO:

Kovalchuk Mitts Crosby Mitts

#6 Huskie94

Huskie94
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:08 PM

Renfrew black gauze for the top and Howie's white or black for the blade.

#7 Steelnation248

Steelnation248

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:16 PM

Renfrew on the blade. I prefer black tape with wax, sometimes scrap the puck on it. Blue sportstape gauze for the handle.

#8 balsy17

balsy17
  • LocationToronto

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:18 PM

I use to spiral white tape down the shaft like lecavelier but it was too hard to take slappers

#9 thinkingjack

thinkingjack
  • LocationTempe, AZ

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:15 PM

I just do this, minus the adhesive spray, with a modification

I run a strip a tthe bottom and over the toe to the heel.

i run a pre strip at the bottom half of the blade.

Then i run the bigger strips like Cole does over and lap it and fold it and cut it. 

Rub a puck on it, then wax it.  It lasts forever, super easy to peel and doest tear up like regular tape jobs either.  

As for the tapes i use Howies or Sports tape and the bigger tape is usually Mueller sports tape which is fantastic.

Feel free to check out my hockey reviews, or random stuff

#10 JTully317

JTully317
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:56 PM

White gauze up top with a small knob. White with the toe taped down below with a nice puck rub.

#11 theruz23

theruz23
  • LocationCT

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:16 PM

I just do this, minus the adhesive spray, with a modification

I run a strip a tthe bottom and over the toe to the heel.
i run a pre strip at the bottom half of the blade.
Then i run the bigger strips like Cole does over and lap it and fold it and cut it. 

Rub a puck on it, then wax it.  It lasts forever, super easy to peel and doest tear up like regular tape jobs either.  

As for the tapes i use Howies or Sports tape and the bigger tape is usually Mueller sports tape which is fantastic.

Were do you get muellers or sports tape? Its not really around where i live and do they have wide?

#12 Bleafer

Bleafer
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:22 PM

I use both white and black tape, Renfrew Brand. All depends on what stick I'm taping when it comes to color, if the white looks better {matches}then I use it, same for the black, how fucking anal is that eh ? :rofl:

I'm gonna start using white and just rub it with a puck and get that Kane look for the next game and see how I like it. I think it looks pretty cool, but cool doesn't score goals so..........

I started doing that. Looks cool, but make sure to not rub it too much or else it just looks stupid :P.

For Sale:

#13 wrlittle

wrlittle
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:33 PM

I use white tape, on the knob and blade.

I got a secret for you guys...

Lowry > Renfrew

#14 Gefiltefish

Gefiltefish

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:42 PM

1. Wrap grip with a base layer of white Renfrew cloth tape. Two passes. Start on the top (end plug) and work down 6 inches. This usually lasts for months without having to be re-taped.

2. Go over the base layer of the grip with either 2 layers of white Renfew stretch or 1 layer of powder blue SportsTape flex.  Start at the bottom and work my way up if using the white Renfrew...or start at the top and work my way down if using the powder blue SportsTape.

3. Wrap the bottom of the grip with orange Renfrew shin guard tape. Just one strip and around once.

4. Tape the blade with black SportsTape from heel to toe and go all the way around the toe. Compress the excess around the toe together to get a good seal.

5. Cut the excess off the toe.

6. Use a black mini-puck to smooth the tape out and add some tackiness.

7. Melt the rubber of the puck into the tape with a heat gun. Also causes the adhesive of the tape to stick to the blade well. Allow to cool.

8. Use wax on the bottom of the blade only.

9. Kiss the stick before the game :)

~Sam~

#15 Brian

Brian

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:13 PM

blade is white Renfrew

Handle is gray gauze tape (LA Kings)

#16 iiExiiLeD

iiExiiLeD
  • LocationEdmonton

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

black tape has a chemical that eats your palms faster.

i used white tape and spli it in half, tape about 3 quarters of the blade and over the toe. i put electrical tape on the blade. obviously use sex wax.
on the knob i use split white tape with 6 spirals, and red grip tape over top. candy cane from the knob to the first letter of the name bauer (where my bottom hand goes). also split.

Always looking for LH toe curves, Wild & Oilers stuff!!!

#17 - M

- M

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:23 PM

Handle: Lowry colored stick tape.  I used to use that Renfrew brand gauze-like tape but the glue seeps through and gunks up your palms quite quickly.  Prior to that I used regular white Renfrew stick tape but again the glue made it too sticky.

Blade: I use Renfrew or Lowry.  I find the quality of Lowry is more consistent (you don't get "rings" on the edge of the rolls) but I just stock up on Renfrew at Sportchek when they have their 25% off sales.

If your bag has wheels, you don't.

#18 greghughes

greghughes
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:01 PM

Tackimac wrapped grip for the knob, blade changes between black and white tape and from the heel or from about the middle but most of the time black tape and always over the toe and sex wax.

Looking for retro Ducks set!

#19 DField56

DField56
  • LocationSan Jose

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:38 PM

usually white tape on the blade and white gauze on the handle. 

My Feedback

Always interested in Sharks gear

#20 wrlittle

wrlittle
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

Handle: Lowry colored stick tape.  I used to use that Renfrew brand gauze-like tape but the glue seeps through and gunks up your palms quite quickly.  Prior to that I used regular white Renfrew stick tape but again the glue made it too sticky.

Blade: I use Renfrew or Lowry.  I find the quality of Lowry is more consistent (you don't get "rings" on the edge of the rolls) but I just stock up on Renfrew at Sportchek when they have their 25% off sales.

+1111111111111