Photo

Down Low Hockey - Shoulder Pads

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Fielder07

Fielder07
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:44 PM

Just saw these. I'm really interested in trying them out for beer league, but they don't have any larges left. I can't find them anywhere else online.

http://downlowhockey.com/index.html

Has anyone tried these? Interested in some feedback. It looks like they sell in a lot of shops in NJ. Any members in that area that can find a large? Thanks.

Looking for new CCM HPTK pants - Black - Size XL

#2 wrlittle

wrlittle
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:03 PM

Those look awesome for beer league. Would definitely give them a shot. Too bad they only have XS, S, and XL right now.

#3 olsona

olsona
  • Locationcalifornia

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:04 PM

i don't know where to buy them but a few guys around the rink i play at use them. they say and love them. they do have less protection then regular shoulder pads but the guys who use them say it feels like your not wearing any pads. they would probably work for for some one who wouldnt normally wear shoulders but looking for some more protection

#4 Fielder07

Fielder07
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:08 PM

Yeah I hate shoulder pads, but I just want some protection against pucks and hitting the boards. I figured these would be perfect. It looks like they used to sell them on hockeyboss, but none available there right now either. I emailed the company asking for some so I'll let you know how that pans out.

#5 JoeyJ0506

JoeyJ0506
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

The guy that developed them is now working for Evo-Shield.  Word is that another version of the DLSP is in the works.

#6 Fielder07

Fielder07
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:38 PM

Thanks for the info. Does that mean the Down Low Hockey brand is done? i know the shoulders were patent pending, so i'm assuming the developer owns it and will start manufacturing them under the Evo-Shield branding. I'm afraid of what the price will be after checking out the Evo-Shield padded shirts...

#7 akaSmall_Kitten

akaSmall_Kitten

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:02 PM

Interesting ......

#8 Steelnation248

Steelnation248

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:02 PM

There is a pretty good thread about them over on MSH if you want more info. The owner also has an account and chimed in with quite a bit of information.

#9 PinkEye

PinkEye

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

Check out rugby pads. They offer similar protection.

#10 SPhilly28

SPhilly28
  • LocationHalifax NS

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:13 PM

I don't think anything can touch the Sherwood 5030's for mobility and price.  Plus a little bit of protection tossed in for good measure.

#11 My3BoyzPlayHockey

My3BoyzPlayHockey
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:20 PM

Those look sweet, video of Mike Knuble @ Iceline in west Chester, Pa. One of my local rinks!! Liked to try one on before I buy, but if Pro's are wearing them can I go wrong!?

#12 dkmiller3356

dkmiller3356
  • LocationMerrick, NY

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:55 PM

I tried them and returned them.  Very hot.  Protection not what I was wanted.  

#13 Fielder07

Fielder07
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:03 PM

I don't think anything can touch the Sherwood 5030's for mobility and price.  Plus a little bit of protection tossed in for good measure.

Unfortunately, I tried and hated 5030s. The biceps being connected directly to the caps is annoying. Any arm movement and the caps were all over the place, even with the Velcro as loose as possible. And as far as extra protection goes, I could just tape a pizza box to my chest and save the $20.

#14 Fielder07

Fielder07
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:07 PM

Those look sweet, video of Mike Knuble @ Iceline in west Chester, Pa. One of my local rinks!! Liked to try one on before I buy, but if Pro's are wearing them can I go wrong!?

They claim NCAA and CHL guys are wearing them, but I've never seen it. The Knuble video was just them trying to promote the product. I doubt he wears them.

#15 My3BoyzPlayHockey

My3BoyzPlayHockey
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:01 AM

Yes, I'm posting this at 4 am, gotta love these early morning mite away games, gotta get myself up and ready. Theres pix of Briere, Boucher, Knuble on this website, clearly they were at the rink with their kids and had to walk by this booth, because it is situated at the entrance by the pro shop. I know for sure Briere doesn't wear this equipment. Thanks for the intel guys, my boys will be sticking with their Farrell's.

#16 Monty22

Monty22

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:13 AM

That's a shity way to decide what gear is right for YOU.  

#17 DField56

DField56
  • LocationSan Jose

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

Unfortunately, I tried and hated 5030s. The biceps being connected directly to the caps is annoying. Any arm movement and the caps were all over the place, even with the Velcro as loose as possible. And as far as extra protection goes, I could just tape a pizza box to my chest and save the $20.

I like that the shoulder and bicep is all one piece I'm in ccm u+ right now but they are def overkill do you still have your 5030? What size pm me

My Feedback

Always interested in Sharks gear

#18 Fielder07

Fielder07
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

I like that the shoulder and bicep is all one piece I'm in ccm u+ right now but they are def overkill do you still have your 5030? What size pm me

No sorry, I cut the caps off to make a pair of frankenpads.

#19 Jarhead

Jarhead

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:50 PM

My buddy (sal16v) has a set and he loves them he's had them for several years and they hold up great from what he says,the only complaint he has with them is the Velcro that holds the chest/back pads on looses its tack