DropGloveMurphy's Content

There have been 9 items by DropGloveMurphy (Search limited from 24-May 23)

Sort by                Order  

#373182 Pro Pants for a Short Fat Guy

Posted by DropGloveMurphy on 02 October 2020 - 06:28 PM in Pro Stock Hockey Gear

Picked up a pair of HP45X and Covert QRL to try. Trying them on at home the HP45X fit more snug, almost too tight, and definitely have the better padding but the QRL are more comfortable. Not sure which way I'll go and will give both the on ice test before deciding. Length wise both fall just above mid-knee which will work.

I'm a little disappointed with the legs above the thigh board being thin foam on the HP45X; taking a puck there sucks and I thought they'd at least have a plastic insert. I want to like the QRL more because of how comfy they are, but the padding doesn't seem any better than my retail Tacks girdle.

#373013 Pro Pants for a Short Fat Guy

Posted by DropGloveMurphy on 25 September 2020 - 09:35 AM in Pro Stock Hockey Gear

No man. You contact them directly via e-mail for custom orders. That dealer may not necessarily know how to make the custom order.  I've also owned a pair of HP45s in small and they are decently long in Size small going mid-knee.

Oh, the FAQ section said you can't order direct and have to go through a dealer so I wrote it off. Thanks for the heads up!

#372999 Pro Pants for a Short Fat Guy

Posted by DropGloveMurphy on 24 September 2020 - 04:13 PM in Pro Stock Hockey Gear

Why not get a pair of customs? I know eagle can make you a pair. You're an inch taller than me and small pro stock pants are too long for me. I can only imagine how long larges would be.

Just checked the Eagle website and the closest dealer is around 160 miles away so unfortunately that's not an option.

#372995 Pro Pants for a Short Fat Guy

Posted by DropGloveMurphy on 24 September 2020 - 01:00 PM in Pro Stock Hockey Gear

I have a stocky build as well, similar to yours, and im my experience i have yet to come across a pair of pants that are slim fitting, protective, short and wider for stocky people. Based off of what you are looking for id say the HP45 pants in a large would be your best option, theyre light, protective and shorter IMO to alternative brands but are slightly bulkier. I liked the Bauer Nexus/One95 and i can fit in a medium of those but theyre longer, heavier and i dont find it as protective as the HP45 but they are slim fitting. The warrior QRE pants are shorter than bauer but have slimmer padding than the HP45 but the waist is much tighter even in a large. So all things considered def HP45 Large. Goodluck, I hope this helps.

Thanks for this! If I'm pushing close to needing an XL in the girdle do you still think a L in the HP45 will work? I thought they fit small.

#372976 Pro Pants Question

Posted by DropGloveMurphy on 23 September 2020 - 05:16 PM in Pro Stock Hockey Gear

Pre-pandemic, I had a 38/40 waist and could get by wearing large Coverts very loosely laced.  I even have a couple of XL Coverts that had fit well.  Now, I've dropped a bunch of weight and have a 33-34 waist and the size large pants are almost too loose, even when cinched as tightly as they allow.  The XLs are realistically far too big for me now, though I hate to part with them (Heritage Sharks and current Oilers).  If anyone wants to trade me large Covert versions of those two colorways, hit me up!

Oh, as for length, I'm 5'9", and wear the standard length, which is about an inch shorter than Hustlers.  Coverts are the perfect length for me, just above the kneecap on my shin guard.

Is there a particular model of the Covert line you're talking about and how did the L and XL compare in length? It sounds like I'm the same size as you were pre-pandemic and I'm looking for pants but worried about where they'll fall on my legs. I've lost about 10lbs and am still working on losing more so I think the L may work, but want to be sure before pulling the trigger. I'm a 29.5" inseam. Thanks!

#372972 Pro Pants for a Short Fat Guy

Posted by DropGloveMurphy on 23 September 2020 - 02:17 PM in Pro Stock Hockey Gear

I'm currently in a retail Tacks girdle (size L and definitely at the edge of needing an XL) and I use an XL Tacks shell with it. I routinely block shots and drive the net to screen the goalie so I'm looking for something with better protection as I take puck hits/slashes/crosschecks/etc. very frequently. The problem is I'm short (5'9") and fat (225lbs), so what fits my waist (38") doesn't fit me lengthwise (29.5" inseam); on the Tacks girdle I have the thigh board adjustments set to the edge of the velcro above the -1" setting.

I have no experience with pro stock pants and after reading through various threads here I'm leaning toward a pair of HP45 but wanted to get some input first as I saw posts from those in my height range or weight range, but not both at the same time. Preference would be for something slim fitting and lightweight that doesn't soak up every ounce of sweat I put out. Not opposed to a pro stock girdle, but in looking around I've had a hard time finding anything other than a 9k and those are on the heavier side from what I've read.

#372925 CCM Pro stock Gloves

Posted by DropGloveMurphy on 21 September 2020 - 12:52 PM in Pro Stock Hockey Gear

I had the same issue with the 4rpro retail gloves in 14"..fingers pushing past the spandex about a big 1/4 inch. The hgtk fit better lengthwise my fingers just grazed the gusset, but the issue was that they had way too much volume. I tried the hgql in 14" and the finger length was fine but the overall fit was way too tight and the glove left a lot of my wrist exposed. The sweet spot in fit for me is the HG12 14" or a retail 4Rpro in 15". I was not interested in the hg12 because they looked ugly as sin to me in all the pictures online, but tried them out anyway and..WOW. they look sick and the fit, feel, and comfort is just unmatched by any other glove I have tried. One word of advice if you go the HG12 route, do not get shot blockers or they will feel like bricks on your hands.

I agree 100% about the HG12's.. ugly as sin but damn are they comfortable and mobile, I love mine.  As for 4R Pro's, I had a pair of those in 14" and they were tiny, def the smallest 14" glove I've worn... length wise it felt like a pair of CL's I had in 13" (but the CL's were mire snug).

I picked up a pair of HG97's to try and I feel they're very similar to the 4RPro, which wasn't really what I'm looking for so I'm giving the 14.5" HGTK from PSH a go. I'll give the HG12 a shot if those don't work out or I can find a cheap used pair, but you're both right that they're ugly lol.

#372805 CCM Pro stock Gloves

Posted by DropGloveMurphy on 14 September 2020 - 09:30 AM in Pro Stock Hockey Gear

I'm pretty sure CCM posted somewhere that their Pro gloves have extended finger length? Someone may need to confirm.

I think I saw it in the Recent Pick-ups thread, that's why I thought I'd be ok with the 14" TK's.

Highest volume 14s I've had personally are pro-stock 1Ns. Somebody could correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Nexus line is as much finger volume as you're gonna find in a semi-new pro stock glove without going up a size.

Length is the issue I'm having, I'm looking for a lower volume glove than the 4RPro's that I've been using. They're worn to the point I feel they'll fall off my hand if I don't keep my fingers clenched.

In my opinion, you need to buy pro stock HG97 gloves. They're not as loose as Bauer Nexus gloves, but fit tighter than most four-roll gloves. Especially if you came from retail 4RPro gloves. Try the 14" HG97 or HG98. If you'd like them a little tighter in the backhand, get some foam from a fabric store and stuff it behind the backhand liner.

I'll take a look at the HG97's, thanks for the suggestion!

#372782 CCM Pro stock Gloves

Posted by DropGloveMurphy on 12 September 2020 - 09:00 PM in Pro Stock Hockey Gear

I could use some help with sizing.

I've been using a pair of 14" retail 4RPro (not the new 2, the older model) for the last couple of years and my fingers push the stretch gusset out about an 1/8". Based on what I've read here and in other forums- CCM pro stock being .25" to .5" larger than retail depending upon model- I went with a pair of 14" TKPP. Unfortunately, they don't fit very well; my pinky and ring finger jam into the gusset quite uncomfortably when shooting. I've got a pair of 15" on the way, but I'm concerned those won't work either because I grabbed a pair of 15" PJSPP (FT1 with shot blocker) and the fingers are too long. Both pairs I've tried are team stock from the Avalanche. I wanted a tighter fitting glove and figured I'd keep the pair I liked more and sell the other.

Do I need an in-between size? Or do I need to start down the road of finding a player that has gloves with specs that match what would fit my hand? I have admittedly only used retail 14" 4-roll style gloves up to this point (CCM, Eagle, and Graf) so maybe my expectation of how the tapered and contoured gloves should fit is off? PSH has some Montreal 14.5" TK's available but I haven't seen any other 14.5" pairs so I wasn't sure if those are legit pro stock or a PSH SMU. Any advice and input would be greatly appreciated!