Photo

True/VH Hockey skates

• Please log in to reply
400 replies to this topic

#381 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 15 August 2023 - 07:46 PM

The durability is my biggest question as well. I rotate through my skates a lot though, so they'll most likely only be used a few times a month.

"What is your lowest/best price?" is NOT an offer. 

#382 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 15 August 2023 - 07:49 PM

That's strange. Both my tf9s are going strong after over 2 years of being used a few times a week

My TF9s were about two years old as well. Heel cracked, not from a shot or impact that I could recall. 

2v2aNbLbox1YqB.jpg

That is why I upgraded to the Cat Pros. About 60 days of casual summer play and a crack began to form on the inside of the boot

2v2e71TRnx1YqB.jpg

#383 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening

Posted 15 August 2023 - 07:54 PM

Try putting some epoxy over the crack, then cover it with something such as adhesive shot blockers or helicopter tape. A few guys on MSH used it on their True skates with good results. I may add some to my skates as well, depending on how they hold up. 

#384 KidCoyote

KidCoyote
  • LocationBrantford, ON

Posted 15 August 2023 - 08:24 PM

Exact reason why I didn’t bite on any of the True skates PSH posted.

#385 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 15 August 2023 - 08:59 PM

Try putting some epoxy over the crack, then cover it with something such as adhesive shot blockers or helicopter tape. A few guys on MSH used it on their True skates with good results. I may add some to my skates as well, depending on how they hold up.

I contemplated doing that with the TF9s before getting the Cats. We’ll see how the crack progresses and if it gets worse I’ll likely go the epoxy route. Already have the helicopter skins on them.

That said, I also have a pair of FT6 Pros I’ve been waiting to test out

#386 alereflammam

alereflammam

Posted 16 August 2023 - 05:41 PM

If they’re only 60 days old email them. They should make you a new pair. Might even be able to get SVH upgrade for no charge

I contemplated doing that with the TF9s before getting the Cats. We’ll see how the crack progresses and if it gets worse I’ll likely go the epoxy route. Already have the helicopter skins on them.

That said, I also have a pair of FT6 Pros I’ve been waiting to test out

#387 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening

Posted 29 August 2023 - 11:18 PM

Catalysts with shot blockers:

d5a2d70a87a9a1b3_original.jpeg

#388 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening

Posted 12 September 2023 - 07:52 PM

The Hzrdus Pros are very stiff; much stiffer than the Catalyst. It came as a shock to me since I'm used to more flexible boots like the Ribcor 70K, Mako II, and Catalyst Pro. The first time on the ice with these was very difficult, but a second bake and skate really helped dial them in. Superfeet comfort footbeds and unwaxed laces helped as well. They have been very comfortable and form-fitting boots from day one, but I did not expect that level of stiffness from a pair of Trues. That may be a positive or negative depending on the type of skater you are. Regardless, I'm going to sell them.

6b3ec89c833a9549_original.jpeg

#389 Miller55

Miller55

Posted 12 September 2023 - 08:02 PM

I found the TF skates to be significantly more stiff that of Makos and slightly more stiff than Mako IIs. I'm curious about the Cat Pros but have heard the cut is a bit lower than TF. Can anyone confirm or deny?

#390 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening

Posted 27 November 2023 - 04:37 PM

The Catalyst and TF boots feel similar to me, however my TF9's are roller skates and I've never used the TF on ice. 

True SVH customs. Much better than the Hzrdus Pros that I tried and eventually sold. The jury is still out on durability (some stitching and glue coming apart) but they're extremely comfortable. 

aa840220a50aea5a_original.png?height=600

#391 Dasuchin

Dasuchin
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 November 2023 - 11:36 AM

I'm so tempted to replace my now 2 (or 3?) generations old Trues early next year. I've stuck with the Shift holder this time, but I think I may switch it up if I do go for another pair. What I can't decide on is which holder to choose. With Step being so hard to find for Tuuks, it makes sense to go with the XS holder. But I've heard the new Bauer steel is just as good as Step now, so maybe just go with the Powerfly holder. Too many decisions.

#392 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening

Posted 28 November 2023 - 03:07 PM

I'm so tempted to replace my now 2 (or 3?) generations old Trues early next year. I've stuck with the Shift holder this time, but I think I may switch it up if I do go for another pair. What I can't decide on is which holder to choose. With Step being so hard to find for Tuuks, it makes sense to go with the XS holder. But I've heard the new Bauer steel is just as good as Step now, so maybe just go with the Powerfly holder. Too many decisions.

The new JRZ steel is on par with Step Steel and fits both the XS and Edge holders. If you want a stiffer holder, go with the XS or Powerfly. If you want something a bit more flexible, go with the Edge.

#393 Dasuchin

Dasuchin
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 November 2023 - 05:32 PM

The new JRZ steel is on par with Step Steel and fits both the XS and Edge holders. If you want a stiffer holder, go with the XS or Powerfly. If you want something a bit more flexible, go with the Edge.

I can honestly say that I don't even know what difference it would make. The biggest reason I'd want to replace the Shift holder is just to have something more standard.

#394 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 28 November 2023 - 09:29 PM

What I can't decide on is which holder to choose.

When I switched over to True skates I installed XS holders. Never had an issues with Bauer, but figured it would be easier/cheaper to find Step steel for XS (and it has). No complaints these last 3 years

#395 alereflammam

alereflammam

Posted 28 November 2023 - 10:35 PM

When I switched over to True skates I installed XS holders. Never had an issues with Bauer, but figured it would be easier/cheaper to find Step steel for XS (and it has). No complaints these last 3 years

Same boat here. Love my XS holders with Step Black on SVH

#396 iceman8310

iceman8310
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 10:05 AM

I hate the true tongue.  the only tongue I liked from Vh/True was this one:

30B8CDCF-2511-4003-AA80-CED69E893BC9.jpe

#397 Miller55

Miller55

Posted 29 November 2023 - 10:58 AM

Looks like a regular felt tongue no?

#398 iceman8310

iceman8310
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 12:16 PM

Looks like a regular felt tongue no?

these were a little thicker also when you flex the true tongues, the plastic material bunches up.  the material on this tongue didn't bunch and fold.  Also the Velcro material on the tongue is better as well.

#399 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 29 November 2023 - 04:58 PM

I've been using these tongues for the last 3 or so years. They're felt, but have a plastic piece to help prevent lace bite. Have not had any issues with them on any of the True skates I've put them in

https://hockeyvancou...&pr_seq=uniform

DSCF6871-vi.jpg

#400 Dasuchin

Dasuchin
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 30 November 2023 - 12:01 PM

I use that t-guard felt tongue too, haven't had any issues in the 4 years I've used them on my skates. Part of the leather (pleather?) is starting to rip, but it just seems cosmetic. I think if I got a new pair, I'd go with the same tongue. The new thin tongue they use just seems weird and uncomfortable compared to the felt.

Yeah this was my thought too. But I'm hearing that the new Bauer steel is actually on par with Step, and it seems like majority of people like those holder vs the XS, I'm just not sure why or what I'd even get out of it vs others. I also just kind of like to tinker and try new things.