#21 akaSmall_Kitten

akaSmall_Kitten

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:47 PM

Yep , makes sense.
Hope it's the same way/role

#22 Dishmaster

Dishmaster

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:49 AM

I cant believe all the hate here on Strombo. If you've ever watched his show, not only is he an amazing interviewer but he has hockey players/people on his show several times. He's a fan. I feel like if they hired me you guys would say the same thing when I know for a fact I know my stuff. Give him a chance. Everybody hated the thought of Heath Ledger being the Joker until they saw it.

#23 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 31 March 2014 - 04:57 AM

I've watched everyone from David letterman, Oprah Winfrey, Howard stern to Larrry king. George just does not have that character or that something that would be able to put him up there with the best of the best. I cannot stand his interviews due to the way he speaks, his vocabulary and the jokes that he tries to throw out with only to have barely a laugh from the crowd.

Looking for BIOSTEEL jersey made by UA or Adidas.

Looking for Bauer Pro defender elbows size Large

My ebay (better prices for members)

#24 Mikepell33

Mikepell33
  • LocationMilton, ON

Posted 31 March 2014 - 04:46 PM

@ Mapleleafs, dude I think you need to tone down the Strombo hate, we get it, you clearly don't like the dude. But HNIC has been in desperate need of change for far too long. Their product has been bland and stuck in the past for at least the last 10 years. TSN and their hockey production was above and beyond what CBC kept rolling out there. We all love Ron MacLean and his endless list of puns, and they have some good hockey people working with them. However there is nothing more than typical boring hockey clichés. Say what you will about Strombo, but the guy knows how to get things out of people in interviews. I doubt we will hear "give 100%" or "get pucks in deep" whenever he does an interview with players. Who knows, maybe he will even challenge the BS that comes out of PJ Stock every Saturday. And you have to give the guy credit, he knows his hockey!! Just because his current role isn't sports centric doesn't mean he doesn't live and breathe the sport. There are also a lot of Leaf fans out there that think Strombo will make it into Habs night in Canada. Despite my dream that this would be the case, I can guarentee that he will show no bias to the Habs during his HNIC broadcasts. I think a lot of people will be surprised and impressed with his approach to this role. And no fear, they will still parade Don Cherry out in the 1st intermission to rant and rave to the uninformed and geriatric who still believe his views are anything but ridiculous.

#25 akaSmall_Kitten

akaSmall_Kitten

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:16 PM

Just another case of "once you're in you're in" with Canadian entertainment.

#26 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:00 PM

Mikepell33, on 31 Mar 2014 - 5:46 PM, said:

@ Mapleleafs, dude I think you need to tone down the Strombo hate, we get it, you clearly don't like the dude. But HNIC has been in desperate need of change for far too long. Their product has been bland and stuck in the past for at least the last 10 years. TSN and their hockey production was above and beyond what CBC kept rolling out there. We all love Ron MacLean and his endless list of puns, and they have some good hockey people working with them. However there is nothing more than typical boring hockey clichés. Say what you will about Strombo, but the guy knows how to get things out of people in interviews. I doubt we will hear "give 100%" or "get pucks in deep" whenever he does an interview with players. Who knows, maybe he will even challenge the BS that comes out of PJ Stock every Saturday. And you have to give the guy credit, he knows his hockey!! Just because his current role isn't sports centric doesn't mean he doesn't live and breathe the sport. There are also a lot of Leaf fans out there that think Strombo will make it into Habs night in Canada. Despite my dream that this would be the case, I can guarentee that he will show no bias to the Habs during his HNIC broadcasts. I think a lot of people will be surprised and impressed with his approach to this role. And no fear, they will still parade Don Cherry out in the 1st intermission to rant and rave to the uninformed and geriatric who still believe his views are anything but ridiculous.

This is a topic about strombo and this is a forum, People are allowed to make replies to the topic as long as their replies are not wildly outrageous or make it look like you should be in a straight jacket in an asylum.

When you're a pro at your choice of profession then you will be compared to others that have been there before you and currently or coming up. Similar to how crosby is compared to ovechkin or Brodeur compared to Roy. He seems to be "the guy" that CBC has chosen to give a talk show to and their attempt to make CBC "cool" again and not just appealing to the geriactrics with their airings of "coronation street" and "the National" which for you americans is our evening and nightly news that would rather put you to sleep then bring you actual news.

To the people who think that he's really good then why are his ratings so unimpressive. He's 245k average in PRIME TIME. Those numbers are joke.

CNN also gave him a shot at the millions of viewers that tune in across the US. With a very similar setup in LA and filmed infront of a live audience as to what took place here in Canada. How did he do? FLOOOPPPPPPEEDDD... hard.

Unfortunately Canada has not been able to produce too many iconic or memorable hosts or tv personalities as of late. There's only a few people that come to mind off the top of my head.

The first would be Rick Mercier who is always ridiculously witty with an absolute fantastic sense of humour. His humour is very intelligent but at the same time easy enough for your average person to comprehend. He makes fun of politics but makes it understandable. All while he promotes all different events/attractions that take place all over Canada or anything that means what it is to be a Canadian.

The second would be Jay and Dan from TSN. Come back to TSN or go to sportsnet!! Hockey highlights are just not the same without you guys. Broooobrrooovvvvssskkkyyy!!!

So now hopefully you guys understand why this guy will be under so much criticism. When you put in a personality that is sub-par to a hockey broadcast that is so iconic and such a big piece of Canadian culture there will definitely be an uproar and critisim. Hockey Night in Canada doesn't really need to try to boost ratings, It is probably one of their biggest attractions and what pulls people to the CBC everyweek. We definitely know it's not Coronation Street, Heartland, Mr. D, The ron James show or Artic Air . They do have some good shows such as Marketplace, Rick Mercier and fifth estate but with the exception of Rick Mercier, the other two programs are at the absolute worst times during the week.

But who knows, Strombo may be the only thing Canada has to offer HNIC at the moment, this is unfortunate. Who knows maybe he'll do well , but i'm still betting that it tanks like his attempt on CNN.

Btw, hit the enter key once in a while, don't worry about the Tab key, paragraphs a tad easier to read.

not-sure-if-xzibit-or-wall-of-text-thumb

Looking for BIOSTEEL jersey made by UA or Adidas.

Looking for Bauer Pro defender elbows size Large

My ebay (better prices for members)

#27 Dishmaster

Dishmaster

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:11 PM

Why would Jay and Dan come back? The reason they left was for a better job opportunity and better money.

#28 akaSmall_Kitten

akaSmall_Kitten

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:17 PM

Why would Jay and Dan come back? The reason they left was for a better job opportunity and better money.

Those 2 are a pair of goofs .... Glad they left.
Simple jokes for simple people

#29 Moose

Moose

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:31 PM

Amen. Jay and dan are irritating.

#30 Mikepell33

Mikepell33
  • LocationMilton, ON

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:56 PM

Btw, hit the enter key once in a while, don't worry about the Tab key, paragraphs a tad easier to read.

Sorry bud, you're right. Just got caught up rambling on.

This is a topic about strombo and this is a forum, People are allowed to make replies to the topic as long as their replies are not wildly outrageous or make it look like you should be in a straight jacket in an asylum.

I understand what the purpose of a forum is. However, I was simply stating, that you have had 6 posts in 2 pages, all of which a different way of saying you hate Strombo. Maybe the rest of us get the idea that you obviously dislike this guy quite a bit and have some strange need to shout that from the rooftops. I was just suggesting that maybe you take a break, let other people have their opinions heard, and refrain from commenting every other post with the same blabber. But if you really hate the guy that bad and need to vent, have at it man!

I did like Jay and Dan but their act was wearing a bit thin. Their comedic approach to SportsCentre added a little change of pace to the highlight package but I wouldn't want that kind of cheesy humour in a night long hockey broadcast. I don't think that's what HNIC was looking for either. Much like in Ron MacLean, they were looking for more of a host and a story teller. Someone that can direct the conversation where it's suppose to be and someone that can connect us to the game through interviews and special features.

Maybe Rick Mercer would have been a good choice, although I'm unsure of his hockey knowledge. And based on his resume I doubt that sports, or hockey specifically, is his specialty. You have to give credit to Strombo and the fact that he knows what he is talking about when it comes to hockey. He has had his own sports talk radio show and has had history of hosting specials for CBC or HNIC. Off the top of my head I can't think of too many other Canadians that would be suited for this job as far as a knowledge base of hockey and a name we all recognize. I'm curious to know, who you would choose if the decision was up to you?