#21 mersss

mersss
  • LocationMontreal, CAN

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:16 AM

^You can't be serious, are you?

#22 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:20 AM

Yesterday's lost sucks, but coming back from Boston with 1 win is huge.

Now, I cant wait for tuesday! :woo:

Follow us: Instagram: http://instagram.com/sports2k_com#
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Stock-Hockey-Sports2Kcom/151010068304116

#23 theruz23

theruz23
  • LocationCT

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:46 AM

Both are amazing goalies, its gonna be a crazy series. I hope the home ice wakes up the canadiens

#24 mersss

mersss
  • LocationMontreal, CAN

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:08 PM

I mean, without Price between the pipes, MTlL would be heading home trailing by 2 in this serie. He has been oustanding as of now, Rask isnt near price level. MTL forwards havent even tested him yet. They socred in pretty much every scoring chance Boston gave them.

#25 Gr8erade

Gr8erade

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:22 PM

I wouldn't forget that in game 1, Boston missed multiple open nets, have hit pipes and crossbars and had any of those gone in, Montreal would be down 2 and Price probably wouldn't be looking so good. He's made a lot of great stops, but he's also been fortunate Boston has been snakebitten around the net.
Rask hasn't made as many game changing saves, but Montreal has been opportunistic and made the most of their opportunities.
Frankly, I think the Rask v. Price debate is amusing, but lacks a fair bit of objectivity.

#26 theruz23

theruz23
  • LocationCT

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:24 PM

Without price montreal wouldn't even be in the playoffs

#27 Gr8erade

Gr8erade

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:34 PM

And if Boston buried even a third of their open net opportunities Price's GAA would be up over 6 and they'd be down 2-0 and I don't think anyone would be having this conversation.
He's a good goalie and is doing his job and made some great saves, but he's been helped by Boston's inability to finish.

#28 mersss

mersss
  • LocationMontreal, CAN

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:00 PM

Well i'm pretty sure, last time I cheked, that player hit the post because the Keeper cover his angle the way he's supposed to and that, because of that, player have to find that one little hole to put the puck in. Fact is, Boston have had a LOT more scoring opportunities than the Habs, and Price shut them dowm. 

Lets face it, Rask GAA and save % has been awfull this year vs MTL, even with a WAYYYYYYY better dcore in front of him. Price shut the door when he had too, something Rask hasnt been able to do yet. Those are fact

Thinking BOS could have scored 6-7 goals if they would have been able to cpatalize is pure speculation has Price could have also saved that amn shot. If B's player miss the net, it's because Price got in there head and they know they have to shoot fast to beat him, wich cause a them to shoot wide a lot more because they cant control their shot.

Price is a top3 keeper in the league. Rask might be top 10, but in a weak time like MTL, we would even talk about him beeing a top10 keeper.

#29 Gr8erade

Gr8erade

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:12 PM

Nobody is saying Price isn't a good goalie, but I'll point out that Price is currently 8th in save percentage in the playoffs, behind two guys who have already been eliminated.  He's ahead of Fleury (who we all know gets his lumps for his play) and Price would be behind him if Boston finished on just two of those empty nets they managed to miss.

Price has given up 8 goals in 3 games against Boston this year.  Rask?  14 in 6 games.  You do the math.

Price's save percentage totalled up between those 3 games against Boston?  .929.

Rask's in the 6 games he's played against Montreal?   .921.

I'm pretty sure my math is correct.

Frankly, the numbers surprised me, because everybody has been arguing how badly Rask plays against Montreal.  Beyond wins and losses, his save percentage and GAA in the regular season against Montreal were actually better than his overall numbers, at least this year.

So again, Price is a good goalie, and he may yet be the reason why Montreal moves on, but the stats as they stand now don't really support you.

You want a probable series changing save?  Rask on Abdelkader's breakaway in OT in Game 4.    That goes in, series tied 2-2.  He keeps it out, Boston goes up 3-1 and doesn't look back.

#30 mersss

mersss
  • LocationMontreal, CAN

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:39 PM

Its Easy to stop 20 shots coming from along the board. Not the same thign stopping 30shots coming from the slot.

And how about that save price did in 1st OT of the 1st game against the B's against Krejci? That goes in, Habs are heading to MTL trailing 0-2.

Stats are BS. I'M talking about SCORING OPPORTUNATIES. MTL have been able to capitalize ine pretty much any of them. B'S havent because of their Goalie. Thats what good goalie do. Saing their D's asses. 

#31 Gr8erade

Gr8erade

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:50 PM

You mean scoring opportunities like missing wide open nets when Price was clearly beaten?   I'd say missing open nets would qualify as blown scoring opportunities missed DESPITE what Price was doing.

I already said that Rask hasn't come up with too many game changers in this series yet.  Sure, Price has on a couple of occasions, but if you're going to say that the current result of this series wouldn't be completely different if the Bruins would have hit just a couple of the wide open nets that they somehow missed, then I think you might be suffering from a bit of homerism.

Nothing wrong with supporting your team.    As for the stat are BS comment, right now you're arguing against the stats because the stats simply don't support what you happen to think.  

Montreal scored yesterday on a play that has been pretty convincingly argued could have been blown for goalie interference and on two really terrific tipped shots from Vanek.  I wouldn't say Rask wasn't pretty good at shutting down Montreal yesterday.  

#32 mersss

mersss
  • LocationMontreal, CAN

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:59 PM

I'M saying stats are BS cause stopping 25shots from the point or from along the boards is easy, for ANY goalie in the NHL. At least it shoul be except if you're name is Anders Lindback or Ilya Bryzgalov.

Rask as been, lets say, ok as of now in this serie. save % Below 900 against a team who cruely lack scoring touch. Habs capitalize in EVERY scoring oppurtunity the B's defene gave them. Rask hasnt saved their asses.

B's have been given a fair amount of scoring opportunities, in wich Price stepped up and save his Dman asses. If we, hippoteticly,changed goalie for both these game, MTL wouldnt even be competing agaisnt the B's.

You are the guy using the word "If", fact is, as of now, if the habs would have had any other goalie in their net, they'd be heading home with a 0-2 series.

#33 Gr8erade

Gr8erade

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:13 PM

I guess we'll see how the series plays out.  At the moment, my view is that once you factor in the opportunities that the Bruins flat out missed, Price's performance isn't quite as spectacular as some might think.  Its 1-1 because of some of the saves Price made, but it is also 1-1 because of the shots Boston simply shanked.  To argue otherwise, it seems to me, seems silly.

#34 greghughes

greghughes
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:40 PM

Price is not a top 3 goalie in the league...

Looking for retro Ducks set!

#35 mersss

mersss
  • LocationMontreal, CAN

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:50 PM

^COme one,

Price is definitely top3 in the NHL. Lundqvist is #1, Price is pretty much on par with Jonathan Quick IMO.

#36 Gr8erade

Gr8erade

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:57 PM

^COme one,

Price is definitely top3 in the NHL. Lundqvist is #1, Price is pretty much on par with Jonathan Quick IMO.

That's an interesting list..... I'm sure nobody would take issue with it.
I guess only one of them has the benefit of having the reigning Norris Trophy winning defenseman playing in front of them.... ;)

#37 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 04 May 2014 - 03:12 PM

This is the reason why I avoided the pissing contest.

#38 mersss

mersss
  • LocationMontreal, CAN

Posted 04 May 2014 - 03:13 PM

Yah I forgot how Bad Zdeno Chara is... Having won one and nominatted top 3 in the last 5 years!

#39 Gr8erade

Gr8erade

Posted 04 May 2014 - 03:18 PM

Yah I forgot how Bad Zdeno Chara is... Having won one and nominatted top 3 in the last 5 years!

That's beside the point. I was just pointing out my amusement with your idea that Price has to bail out his defensemen, when one of them happens to be the reigning Norris trophy winner. Now whether that's amusement in the fact that Subban is the Norris trophy holder, or that in actuality, Price has been good, but he has also been very fortunate that Boston hasn't shot straight, you can take your pick. (The answer is actually "both" :))

#40 wbj

wbj

Posted 04 May 2014 - 03:19 PM

Mers did you pick up some Montreal Canadiens tinted glasses at an equipment sale?

Price is a good goalie but I can't even pick out a single year when he was top 3, let alone overall top 3 in the league.

To Gr8's point, Boston had zero puck luck in game 1 and still tied it to go into OT. Then giving up 3 in a 6 minute span yesterday isn't anything to write home about. He's correct in that it could easily be 2-0. Price has played well, but has had stretches where he has just been pedestrian.