Photo

Montreal vs Boston: Round 2 EAST

• Please log in to reply
222 replies to this topic

#41 mersss

mersss
  • LocationMontreal, CAN

Posted 04 May 2014 - 03:29 PM

Mers did you pick up some Montreal Canadiens tinted glasses at an equipment sale?

Price is a good goalie but I can't even pick out a single year when he was top 3, let alone overall top 3 in the league.

To Gr8's point, Boston had zero puck luck in game 1 and still tied it to go into OT. Then giving up 3 in a 6 minute span yesterday isn't anything to write home about. He's correct in that it could easily be 2-0. Price has played well, but has had stretches where he has just been pedestrian.

Wow thats brutal haha.

Price never had the chance to play behing a Defense like Rask or Lundqvist or RInne or Quick had been able to play with over their career. Fact is, and the stretch after the Olympic breaks shows it, Habs would be a top pick contender without him between the pipes. Khudobin, Talbot, Jones have all been able to play just as well as their number one when they were aksed to. Why? Because the team in front of them are able to make their goalie look good, wich the habs cant because of their medicority at defense. Except Subban and Markov, every single other d-man in this team would be a #4 (emelin) or a #5 in every other single team in the NHL 

#42 wbj

wbj

Posted 04 May 2014 - 03:38 PM

Wow thats brutal haha.

Price never had the chance to play behing a Defense like Rask or Lundqvist or RInne or Quick had been able to play with over their career. Fact is, and the stretch after the Olympic breaks shows it, Habs would be a top pick contender without him between the pipes. Khudobin, Talbot, Jones have all been able to play just as well as their number one when they were aksed to. Why? Because the team in front of them are able to make their goalie look good, wich the habs cant because of their medicority at defense. Except Subban and Markov, every single other d-man in this team would be a #4 (emelin) or a #5 in every other single team in the NHL

So is the logical conclusion to your statement that there are no such things as good goalies, all only average and their relative skill is solely dependent on the quality of their D?

#43 Gr8erade

Gr8erade

Posted 04 May 2014 - 03:44 PM

Wow thats brutal haha.

Wait, I thought you said lundqvist was no. 1?

#44 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 04 May 2014 - 03:58 PM

This is amusing keep it coming!!

#45 mersss

mersss
  • LocationMontreal, CAN

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:01 PM

My point was to prove that, without price, habs are a lotery pick team

#46 theruz23

theruz23
  • LocationCT

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:04 PM

My point was to prove that, without price, habs are a lotery pick team

Dead on..its impossible to convince fans of other teams that dont watch every game how true this is.

#47 theruz23

theruz23
  • LocationCT

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:06 PM

Every team has a goalie that steals a game or 2 when the rest dont show up to play. But the amount of times price has to do this is astounding

#48 Gr8erade

Gr8erade

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:14 PM

Alternative view on Price.....   while he made some outstanding saves along the way, he was twice unable to step up and hold leads late into both Games 1 and 2.  His team bailed him out in Game 1, but could not in Game 2.

#49 theruz23

theruz23
  • LocationCT

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:20 PM

Gr8 you got that backwards his defence couldn't bail him out he is left to dry far to often

#50 wbj

wbj

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:22 PM

Dead on..its impossible to convince fans of other teams that dont watch every game how true this is.

Their other goalies were 12-8 this year. That is a playoff pace, not lottery.

#51 Gr8erade

Gr8erade

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:26 PM

Gr8 you got that backwards his defence couldn't bail him out he is left to dry far to often

That would be the Price defender view.  :P

If the guy is supposedly the top tier goalie that messrs is trying desperately to justify, then I'd say the goalie needs to come up big, (no matter what happens with the defense), with a two goal lead going late into a playoff game.  Price hasn't done that yet (and as a Bruins fan, I'm perfectly happy if he doesn't) and he's had two chances in this series already to prove it.   But anyway, I've been saying all along that he's a good goalie.  I would not say he's a top 3 in the NHL.

#52 mersss

mersss
  • LocationMontreal, CAN

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:28 PM

Alternative view on Price.....   while he made some outstanding saves along the way, he was twice unable to step up and hold leads late into both Games 1 and 2.  His team bailed him out in Game 1, but could not in Game 2.

Well considering 1st BOS goal have been deflected by his own D (Bouillon) and the Goal Bergeron scored was pure luck/badluck depending on the POV (I mean have you ever saw a puck bounce like this out of nowhere), we can't blame him on both of these goal dont you think?

#53 mersss

mersss
  • LocationMontreal, CAN

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:29 PM

Their other goalies were 12-8 this year. That is a playoff pace, not lottery.

Well Habes were playing for ,375 when Price couldnt play after the Olympics... Not quite a Playoff pace

#54 mersss

mersss
  • LocationMontreal, CAN

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:34 PM

That would be the Price defender view.  :P

If the guy is supposedly the top tier goalie that messrs is trying desperately to justify, then I'd say the goalie needs to come up big, (no matter what happens with the defense), with a two goal lead going late into a playoff game.  Price hasn't done that yet (and as a Bruins fan, I'm perfectly happy if he doesn't) and he's had two chances in this series already to prove it.   But anyway, I've been saying all along that he's a good goalie.  I would not say he's a top 3 in the NHL.

Well if he's not top 3, I dont see who's in front of him in that top 3. If Price isnt in top of that list, Rask is far from it also.

Lundqvist-Quick-Price are 1-2/3

Rinne-Miller-Schneider-Lehtonen-Varlamov-Luongo-Fleury-Rask are the ones who close that top10 IMO (Nor real order, but i dont think I'll star a debate saying Miller-Rinne close that top5)

#55 theruz23

theruz23
  • LocationCT

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:36 PM

Oh gotcha gr8. Only this is people say hey he is not a top tier goalie because he cant show up when it matters ? He has shown up like 15 times this series, its too bad the rest of the team cant. And yes they have lost 2 goal leads the last 3 games going back to the tampa series but to out any blame on price for that you need your head checked...not aimed at you gr8 just people saying people in general.

#56 wbj

wbj

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:39 PM

Well if he's not top 3, I dont see who's in front of him in that top 3. If Price isnt in top of that list, Rask is far from it also.

Lundqvist-Quick-Price are 1-2/3

Rinne-Miller-Schneider-Lehtonen-Varlamov-Luongo-Fleury-Rask are the ones who close that top10 IMO (Nor real order, but i dont think I'll star a debate saying Miller-Rinne close that top5)

If you're looking for who's better, look at Vezina voting by year. Price's best ever finish is a distant 5th. The voters may not always be spot on, but there is no one that should win that they are putting at fifth or ninth.

He's a top 10 goalie, but not top 3, and has never even been top 3 in any single year.

#57 theruz23

theruz23
  • LocationCT

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:42 PM

Price, rask and quick are top 3 and not in any specific order, I wont rank them because no one will ever agree with each other.

#58 mersss

mersss
  • LocationMontreal, CAN

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:43 PM

If you're looking for who's better, look at Vezina voting by year. Price's best ever finish is a distant 5th. The voters may not always be spot on, but there is no one that should win that they are putting at fifth or ninth.

He's a top 10 goalie, but not top 3, and has never even been top 3 in any single year.

He has never been able to put up top 3 numbers because he has never been able to play with a team that could offer performances in front off him that could giv him the chance to do it.

Lets face it, Habs D-core is Average, if not medicore, compared to D-COre like the B's have or other teams like the NYR or other top teams in the NHL.

#59 Gr8erade

Gr8erade

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:45 PM

Oh gotcha gr8. Only this is people say hey he is not a top tier goalie because he cant show up when it matters ? He has shown up like 15 times this series, its too bad the rest of the team cant. And yes they have lost 2 goal leads the last 3 games going back to the tampa series but to out any blame on price for that you need your head checked...not aimed at you gr8 just people saying people in general.

I said he was good and has come up big at points in the two games, but what I'm also saying is that statistically he's middle of the pack in the playoffs so far, has been the goalie in the net when they've blown several 2 goal leads (and yeah, they may not be solely his fault, but you can't eliminate him from all the blame), and that I wouldn't put in him my top 3 in the league.  I'd put him at the tail end of my top 10 right now.   

The problem with mersss's argument is that he started off by tossing out Rask's performance against Montreal, claiming that his stats were subpar.  When I showed that Price's stats are actually pretty comparable to Rask's, all of a sudden "stats are bs".   Then his stats aren't as good because Price plays behind a sub-par defense, except that they do actually have the Norris Trophy winner back there (and yeah, I smirk as I type that, but it is still true).   Then its puck luck (or lack thereof), rather than poor goaltending as to why Boston was able to come back, TWICE, but of course the missed nets when Price was out of position and that strange roll along the goal line in Game 1 wasn't lucky either.   Most of the arguments are pretty easily rebuffed, which is why I think there are few who believe Price is a top-3 goalie.

Basically, this is why the playoffs are fun.   But when you boil it down, Price made some great saves, but he was also given a 2 goal lead to protect with less than a period to go - TWICE - and he failed to bar the door - TWICE.   

Anyway, looking forward to game 3.

#60 greghughes

greghughes
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:06 PM

If you're talking about carrying teams, Bobrovsky and Varlamov did that just as well as Price, and Bob has a Vezina because of it.  Rinne and Miller are also better, as is Rask

Looking for retro Ducks set!