Photo

Anyone ever play any puck with Pro's / Former Pro's?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 1stOverall

1stOverall

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:48 AM

Tonight my long time buddy gave me a call saying they were short and needed a body tonight ended up playing against greg adams on the other team.

Also two summers ago i was in a tournament here in Toronto at Vaughn iceplex which is known for NHL guys in the offseason,anyways there was a couple teams with NHL guys like Joel Ward, Simmonds, Anson Carter, The Stewart boys on one Stamkos, Downie, Bolland, also cammalari was there too. These teams were stacked with pro/semi pro and JR guys that were in a different division than mine for obvious reasons but watching them before and after our games was pretty interesting especially in a beer league environment. Parking lot looked like a car show.

You guys ever played with any pros/ex pros?

#2 topsnipe

topsnipe
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:18 AM

Haha serious at the Vaughan Iceplex? The ice there isn't the greatest I was just there last week but that would be pretty sweet watching those guys play.

#3 desertdog8

desertdog8

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:17 AM

I actually passed the puck with Claude Lemieux when he was making his comeback. Other guys I've skated with Sean Burke, Derek Morris, Tyson Nash, Duane Lewis (CHL Commish), Kryz Kolanos (currently with Flames), Jeremey Roenick, John Torterella.

#4 Shark#81

Shark#81
  • LocationSproat Lake

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:49 AM

Way back...as a kid Bobby Orr came over one day play tennis with the Eagle. Hung out and we rode bikes back to the Eagle's house. The courts and "the box" were like an extension of our back yard. The Eagle lived a few minutes away in Rattray, close to the marsh where we used to play games as well. Eagle was a real character. Real nice to us kids always. But I had heard he punched his neighbour in the nose during an argument. I probably would have punched him too.

Played pickup with Joe Nieuwendyk's brother for a season. Gil was a slick player too. I organized a tournament team and invited both Gil and Joe to play. But Joe couldn't. Aw. I had no idea who he was at the time. We got a favorable draw and lost in the finals to the Ajax Aces & got free sticks and medals.

Paul Cyr http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Cyr joined our MacDermott Thrashers like 7 years ago?? Our team captain at the time was NCAA Derik Sheers. He was #18 in the pros so I gave him my #81, since we didn't have an 18 sweater. He played for a while but then one game he got tossed and an incident occurred in the parking lot. Not sure on the details but he was off the team at that point. I eventually got my sweater back. Somebody should write a book on this guy it's a curious story and he is not even acknowledged in the town or the rink or .....
Latest hockey video:
http://youtu.be/Ncx5fned0ag?hd=1

#5 Hab4life

Hab4life
  • LocationSurrey BC Canada

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:29 AM

Well, I'm 47 yrs old and so far I've played with the likes of Bill Derlago, Brian Propp, Dave{Tiger} Williams, Gary Lupal, Doug Bodger, Cliff Ronning, Geoff Courtnall, Tim Hunter, Dave Semenko, Grant Fuhr, Gene Carr and Ron Andruff. Also got taught by Ceasar Maniego/Vladislav Tretiak at goalie school back in the mid/late 70's.

All in all I've done pretty good so far I'd say !! :y

If we didn't lose by a goal in the semi's at the Pacific Cup {Victoria 2012} we would have played the team that Bodger was playing on, but that's okay considering I played along side of his older brothers all through my rep years and still believe that they were both better than Doug was. One became a Sports Broadcaster {DON}and the other one {Dave}became a Mill Wright I believe.

cheers,

Hab4life

#6 totalone

totalone

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:42 AM

As a kid we had a junior hockey team in my town at that time I didn't know if these guys would make the show. But I used to get to skate with Lee Goren (Former Bruins, Panther and Canuck/Moose) he now plays for Skelleftea AIK in Sweden and the other was Reed Low who played almost all his carrier in St. Louis.

I have also skated with Tie Domi, Jonathan Toews, Chris Porter, Mike Peluso and Travis Zajac. The only reason I got to skate with Toews, Porter and Zajac is they played for UND and they were always at the rink. Peluso skates all the time around here hes even one of the high schools head coach. And skating with Domi was just pure luck
It's Samsquamtch Ricky

#7 Liddy019

Liddy019

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:27 AM

I'm lucky enough every wed play pick up with an awesome group which includes the likes of Kent Manderville, Shaun Van Allan, Doug Smith, Laurie Boschman(hook master) lol...Also Jason York, Shaun Donavon, Patrick Lalime! To name a few!!!

When I lived in Toronto I was very fortunate enough to skate pretty much Monday to Friday 10-12 at York University during the lock out year with Shayne Corson, Darcy Tucker, Sean Avery(great guy btw), Thomas Steen, Jeff Cowan, Igor Ulunov! I was practicing with York university at the time and Shayne asked me to skate with them instead for number reasons! It's great and loved every minute of it!

Both groups are awesome and the chirping never stops!! Lol...can't say nothing but good things about all these guys!!!
Liddy:-)

#8 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:38 AM

I use to play on a regular basis with Igor Kravchuk, Claude Lapointe and few ex-NHL'ers that are not has known.
Once a year, Im part of a hockey marathon, which we have about 50-60 ex Pro players come out during one day.

In my summer league, M-A Vlasic comes out once in a while.

Last summer I played in a 3 vs 3 tournament made of mainly Junior Major guys, PM Bouchard, his brother, Pascal Dupuis and Mathieu Darche were also there.
I love skating with pro's.

...I still play often with the top female hockey players in Canada.
Follow us: Instagram: http://instagram.com/sports2k_com#
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Stock-Hockey-Sports2Kcom/151010068304116

#9 SakeBomb!!

SakeBomb!!
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:59 PM

As a kid growing up in Minnesota I played against a few from my days in Pee Wees, all the way to high school:

-Trent Klaat ( Flyers,Canucks,Kings),
-Doug Zmolek (Kings),
-Ken Gernander( Head coach of the Connecticut Whale, Hart ford Wolpack)
-Tom Pederson ( San Jose Sharks)
-Darby Hendrickson ( Maple Leafs, Canucks, Wild)
-Todd Richards (Head coach Blue Jackets, and Minn. Wild)

In my last 2 years of high school, there was the JP Parise Summer hockey camp for 7 days. At that time, he was working for the Minnesota Northstar's organization.
Every day we had to scrimmage and drill against Neal Broten, Dino Ciccarelli, Mark Tinordi, Brian Bellows, Basil McRae, and Jon Casey. There was a 3 year old Zach Parise on skates helping his dad get pucks as well.

In Los Angeles, I was played in the Jerry Bruckheimer/ Pat Brisson celebrity pick-up back in 2009-10. Anson Carter was my line mate almost every time we played. Guys like Luc Robitaille, Anze Kopitar, Marty McSorley,
and Igor Larianov would make their appearances every so often. That same year I played in the Summer Elite division at the TSC and played against Robbie Earle, Brett Sterling, Noah Clarke, Brian Salcido, Matt Ford, and a few others.

#10 Brian

Brian

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:06 PM

Played against Bobby Ryan around 2000.

#11 thinkingjack

thinkingjack
  • LocationTempe, AZ

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:36 PM

Claude Lemieux's brother Jocelyn used to do a lot of work at a local rink, he gave me lessons on making the switch from roller to ice, and some pointers on my slap shot and wrist shot, great guy and even played 1-1 against me a few weeks later to test out my skill if i've improved, great guy, mean elbow.

Peter Mueller used to drop in to our wednesday night pickup sessions in the last summer he spent in az before being traded, great guy and always kept trying to set up everyone, great guy, absolutely great, what a stupid trade the coyotes made to get rid of him.

Played with a few guys from the Phoenix Roadrunners a few times in pickup, they would get bored and drop in, always a good time.

played pickup all last summer with the coyotes GM's son also, man he's skilled we had a blast, great guy to play with really friendly.

and recently i've been playing with a lot of the guys from the upper level ASU team who show up to our drop in game on tuesdays. usually we have a kid wearing gretzky franchise gloves, i always talk to him and we shove each other around messing around, but i never bothered to ask his name i just called him by his first name, Tye or whatever is spelled so last night we're all sitting around and his iphone rings and its got a pic of gretzky himself and it hits me, the guy who just broke my skates by corkscrewing me and also took a slap shot that deflected up and broke my visor thankfully not my face

is the son of the great one. Pretty rad i say, good kid, just annoyed that he broke the tendon guard on my skates.

Feel free to check out my hockey reviews, or random stuff

#12 desertdog8

desertdog8

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:46 PM

Humberto he played high school hockey against me. His jersey said TY to take the attention off of him.

#13 Ev--NYR

Ev--NYR
  • LocationMilton Keynes, UK

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:55 PM

I played with Simmonds for a season (he was a call up for our 8yr old team lol) and then against him until he jumped up into Jr's. Practiced with the Stewarts once or twice too.

My brother played against all the 92s that came out of Toronto. Skinner, Seguin, Smith-Pelley, etc. Tons of skill but from what I remember they were pretty big prima donnas but they were only like 13-15 yrs old. Guess that's expected, lol.

Hung Like A GeeGee

#14 Its Mike

Its Mike
  • Location732 Jersey

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:22 PM

Played against parros in high school. Played some roller with jvr and bobby Christensen/Ryan.

Bruce driver played goal in a league I played in and he tried to fight me cause I michigan'd him back when I was an 18 year old asshole.

#15 Davies84

Davies84

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:44 PM

Played with Eric Wellwood, Mat Pumple was drafted this year to ottawa.

#16 thinkingjack

thinkingjack
  • LocationTempe, AZ

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:56 PM

Humberto he played high school hockey against me. His jersey said TY to take the attention off of him.

i dont blame him, his last name would haunt him you figure right? I mean look at Waynes brother, got signed to the NHL thinking he too would be a game breaker and he basically ended up playing in the IHL his entire career

i like Ty, he's pretty rad and lots of fun to play with

Feel free to check out my hockey reviews, or random stuff

#17 modny123

modny123
  • LocationHamilton Ontario

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:19 PM

i play with this dude that was drafted to hartford back in the day, played 1 season in the nhl and got shuffled around in the Ahl..

his name is Robin something, such a good player, and seems like a stand up guy, very smooth powerful skater and has a great snapper.

forecheck backcheck paycheque

My eBay feedback

@emodny on twitter

@emodny on instagram

Golden Horshoe Dangles Crew

#18 jamielov

jamielov

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:34 PM

My adult D-League is run by the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins. Chris Kelleher (one game on record with the Pittsburgh Pens) has played in the league, and Dennis Bonvie (who used to, and still may, have the record for fighting penalty minutes) has played as well, and is always around the rink running camps for kids or scouting. Of course when they play, they tone it way, way back. Kelleher scored on our goalie with a slapper from center ice, just trying to pass the puck down into the zone. It was amazing how quick that sucker travelled. Our goalie never even moved.

#19 modny123

modny123
  • LocationHamilton Ontario

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:04 PM

alot of the old pro's truly just play for fun now

its sad, because some people who will never make it into the majors play way to hard and are wayyy too competitive :mad2:

forecheck backcheck paycheque

My eBay feedback

@emodny on twitter

@emodny on instagram

Golden Horshoe Dangles Crew

#20 TML_FAN

TML_FAN
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:16 AM

I play in a senior men's intermediate hockey league here in Ottawa, and there are several ex pro's that play. We have 1 somewhat recent ex-nhl'er who joined this season, Dan McGillis. Quite a few ex-ahl and ohl guys too. There are also a few guys who played in Europe. The skill level is unreal...makes for some great hockey games.