Photo

Wax

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 My3BoyzPlayHockey

My3BoyzPlayHockey
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:15 PM

I'm well aware that some people use this, but can someone tell me the pros and cons...

#2 Grammer

Grammer
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:57 PM

Pro: You can do that cool pick up the puck on your blade trick way easier
Pro: Your stick is resistant to accumulating ice on the blade
Pro: If you use Sex Wax it smells fantastic
Pro: Your tape job lasts WAY WAY longer
Pro: It's another thing to do to prepare for the game, and I like me some routine
Con: I dunno, it costs $3?

#3 topsnipe

topsnipe
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:52 PM

I use good ol candle wax to keep the ice build up as Grammer mentioned and on the knob after a fresh tape job to take off the tackyness from the tape.

#4 olsona

olsona
  • Locationcalifornia

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:16 PM

the reason i use it is because it keeps the ice from building up on the stick any wax will work you don't need to spend allot for some stuff made for hockey just get surf wax its usually cheap as far as the cons i really cant think of any

#5 Grizzly

Grizzly
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:23 PM

Only one con I can think of. I used to just have a chunk of candle wax in my bag and it sat in my car during the summer one day and well it wasnt pretty the next time I opened my bag. Last time I left the wax uncontained and last time I left my bag in the heat.

NHL teams could care less that you want a pair of brand new Warrior Luxe/Franchise custom thumb loop super custom digi toilet paper soft palm with double added reinforced custom Warrior logo backhand padding gloves or a 17 flex double kreps curve upside down toe hook stick from your fav player/team. -Bakes

#3k gsdhead.gif

#6 Yetso

Yetso
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:48 PM

Only one con I can think of. I used to just have a chunk of candle wax in my bag and it sat in my car during the summer one day and well it wasnt pretty the next time I opened my bag. Last time I left the wax uncontained and last time I left my bag in the heat.

Thats my only con to wax as well, summers in california get pretty toasty, melts the wax like nobodys business.
Phrasing people! Phrasing!!!

#7 - M

- M

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:04 AM

I buy cheap candles from dollar stores and Ikea to wax my sticks. I find my tape jobs last a little bit longer and the blade feels a bit thinner compared to no wax at all.

If your bag has wheels, you don't.

#8 thinkingjack

thinkingjack
  • LocationTempe, AZ

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:04 PM

I LOVE IT, before i used it my tape would last one game sometimes not even the full game, now, it goes on forever, up to three or four games if i stretch it. i only dab the lower part of the blade.

and its cheap. Lucky for me i got about a full years worth of wax as a gift for helping a dude out with a pro visor so its always rad to do something for someone i guess

Feel free to check out my hockey reviews, or random stuff

#9 My3BoyzPlayHockey

My3BoyzPlayHockey
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:41 PM

So any type of candle wax will do? And just run the wax over the tape..Sweet, I'm going to try this on my sons stick and see if he notices. Thanks guy, learn something new everyday.

#10 - M

- M

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:43 PM

So any type of candle wax will do? And just run the wax over the tape..Sweet, I'm going to try this on my sons stick and see if he notices. Thanks guy, learn something new everyday.

Just make sure to use a white candle. I used some red tea lights on my white tape job once without thinking one time and it turned pink.

If your bag has wheels, you don't.

#11 invictus8

invictus8

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:30 PM

My brother plays in Mass and gets this stuff he calls "pro wax" from the AHL Springfield Falcons, basically its like harder than normal wax and isn't as thick. I like it more than normal stick wax.

#12 boltsfan491

boltsfan491
  • LocationOrlando, Fl

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:37 PM

The con is that hairs and felt and stuff stick to the tape more with certain waxes. But the pros totally out weigh the cons, the stick slides better for puckhandling.
lets go lightning

#13 HockeySavants

HockeySavants
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:29 AM

I like Sex Wax. Smells so good too
He shot at the 2 hole....that's what she said

#14 timdog

timdog

HOCKEY: Making Dentist Rich Since 1875 :)

• PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationThe hammer

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:32 AM

This stuff is the most amazing stuff I've ever seen!! The puck sticks to it like glue!!it use to be just the regular blue ones that you see here then Easton bought it out as you see in the middle with steve Y. I cant find it anymore hence all the wax!! Lol My son was picking up the puck lacrosse style & throwing it wen he was 7 lol parents were amazed!! I kept the wax a secret but the piƱa colada smell gave it away :)
Posted Image

#15 Grizzly

Grizzly
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:47 PM

I gotta find me a stick of the Stevie Y version. So sweet!

NHL teams could care less that you want a pair of brand new Warrior Luxe/Franchise custom thumb loop super custom digi toilet paper soft palm with double added reinforced custom Warrior logo backhand padding gloves or a 17 flex double kreps curve upside down toe hook stick from your fav player/team. -Bakes

#3k gsdhead.gif

#16 poppop

poppop

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:52 PM

surf wax called sticky bumps.... hands down the best stuff out there

Posted Image

#17 timdog

timdog

HOCKEY: Making Dentist Rich Since 1875 :)

• PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationThe hammer

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:18 PM

We need some testing done on these waxes lol ! Problem is I can't find it at all Easton dropped it.. That's why you see all of them in the pic.. I usually grab it if I see it...smells delicious :agree: lol

#18 HockeySavants

HockeySavants
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:37 AM

Does anyone here keep their wax as it is or do you heat it up?

I will apply wax all over the blade in very generous amounts, then I get a blow dryer and melt the wax to evenly coat it.
He shot at the 2 hole....that's what she said

#19 thinkingjack

thinkingjack
  • LocationTempe, AZ

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:34 AM

i just apply it after the tape job and because sex wax is a little more malleable so it sticks better to it and no flaking or anything, its great

Feel free to check out my hockey reviews, or random stuff

#20 wrbush31

wrbush31

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:11 AM

Does anyone here keep their wax as it is or do you heat it up?

I will apply wax all over the blade in very generous amounts, then I get a blow dryer and melt the wax to evenly coat it.

It's hard to do that because I usually just tape my stick in the locker room. I doubt many people have the blow dryer or heat gun in their bags. Just wax it and go.

"I'm waxing down down so that I'll go real fast. I'm waxing down because it's really a blast."