Photo

Neck Protectors

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 blazer88

blazer88
  • Locationlong island n.y

Posted 30 October 2023 - 10:45 PM

Hey Guys , With the sad news of the Adam Johnson accident , are you guys considering wearing neck protectors. I am going to buy one tomorrow. If something like that happened , playing adult hockey , there's really no medical people there & with a bad cut to the neck , super quick treatment is very important with people who know what to do.

#2 Miller55

Miller55

Posted 30 October 2023 - 11:18 PM

I dug one up in my storage and plan to use it. I love hockey and sty, but I have a wife and kids

#3 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 31 October 2023 - 12:29 PM

Not even considering it. I run hot enough as-is, let alone adding a kevlar turtle neck into the mix.

From what I've read, this is the 2nd time in like 20 years that it's happened. If that's the case, I'll start playing the lottery and take my chances on the ice. I wear a cage, cut resistant socks, and sometimes cut resistant forearm protection

#4 shoeshine boy

shoeshine boy
  • LocationDecatur, GA

Posted 31 October 2023 - 12:49 PM

I don't plan on reacting to a freak accident but certainly don't blame anyone who does. the chance of this happening at all, much less in no-check beer league is so incredibly low. it's on par with adding a roll bar and wearing a helmet while driving your car because a guy died in a car accident.

everyone has their own comfort level though and must do what's right for themselves.

the Warroad stuff from TJ Oshie's company is interesting but also crazy expensive

https://warroad.com/collections/tilo

always looking for non Reebok L & XL shells......

#5 blazer88

blazer88

Posted 31 October 2023 - 03:19 PM

But if it does happen at adult hockey , with no medical help at the rink. It can be a big problem.

#6 KidCoyote

KidCoyote
  • LocationBrantford, ON

Posted 31 October 2023 - 04:03 PM

But if it does happen at adult hockey , with no medical help at the rink. It can be a big problem.

So could a ton of different injuries. The odds of it happening are so extremely slim. Not to mention, the neck guards that are available from the big brands only have something like a 20% success rate at protecting from a skate cut.

#7 markov94

markov94
  • LocationSarnia Ont,...then Lakeland FLA....then back to Sarnia

Posted 31 October 2023 - 06:59 PM

I could understand that someone would go with even before this tragedy.

I find this much different than choice of wearing a cage/visor..

At our level many more things can go wrong teeth/eyes...etc..

Shame we are even discussing this

#8 blazer88

blazer88

Posted 31 October 2023 - 07:45 PM

But god forbid a neck cut did happen , playing adult hockey. Maybe a little more protection on the neck , could mean a cut or a cut that can take your life.

#9 iceman8310

iceman8310
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 03 November 2023 - 10:00 PM

Hey Guys , With the sad news of the Adam Johnson accident , are you guys considering wearing neck protectors. I am going to buy one tomorrow. If something like that happened , playing adult hockey , there's really no medical people there & with a bad cut to the neck , super quick treatment is very important with people who know what to do.

Doesn’t help pelgrave kicked his leg up

#10 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 05 November 2023 - 06:27 AM

I used a Bauer integrated neck guard shirt this past week for the first time in 25 years.. not easy to get adjusted but I plan on keeping it on. 

Follow us: Instagram: http://instagram.com/sports2k_com#
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Stock-Hockey-Sports2Kcom/151010068304116

#11 Wanz32

Wanz32
  • LocationKelowna

Posted 07 November 2023 - 07:27 PM

From what I've read, this is the 2nd time in like 20 years that it's happened.

At the pro level, that is reported maybe. I'd wager that these incidents happen a lot more than you and I both are aware of. Just because some beer leaguer doesn't end up on TSN with a neck cut, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. 

- Always looking for new style stars gear, particularly Bauer! 

#12 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 07 November 2023 - 07:51 PM

At the pro level, that is reported maybe. I'd wager that these incidents happen a lot more than you and I both are aware of. Just because some beer leaguer doesn't end up on TSN with a neck cut, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I made this comment elsewhere, and while I’m sure your point is accurate, even if the actual number of incidents were 1,000% of what’s reported, we are talking about the tiniest fraction

#13 shoeshine boy

shoeshine boy
  • LocationDecatur, GA

Posted 08 November 2023 - 01:28 PM

freak accidents happen but I think to mandate neck protection at the adult level is an overreaction. we play a sport with knives on our feet. that alone makes it dangerous. 

almost 12 years ago, this happened:

Hall could've easily been injured much worse or could've even been cut in a similar spot yet the NHL doesn't even mandate helmets for warmups. I don't feel the need to wear neck protection myself but I certainly won't chirp anyone else who chooses to do so.

always looking for non Reebok L & XL shells......

#14 knyventura

knyventura
  • LocationBelchertown, MA

Posted 25 November 2023 - 10:46 AM

I ended up picking up a Bauer shirt with a Kevlar neck guard this month. In my men’s league about 2 weeks later, a player on the other team lost their balance on a stick check (the kind you see 100 times every men’s league game), and the players rear leg and skate came flying up at me. Luckily I wound up with just a bruised rip and some skin burn from the skate hitting my ribs. If I were about 3 inches further back that was my neck and head. Looking at the LiveBarn afterwards I had zero reaction time on it as the stick check left my side entirely exposed.

Overall, the neck guard was a bit hot the first few times I wore it. I admit that I never wore them back in the 90s when playing youth and high school hockey as no one did except for goalies. I have gotten used to it and don’t really notice the heat anymore. It did take a few skates to figure out how tight or loose to set it.

As for recommending it to others; it is really up to you. I have a family and kids, and I’d hate to say personal preference is why I wound up in the hospital or dead. I already lost all my front teeth during the 12 years I played with a half shield so I wear a cage now. After many shoulder injuries (AC Joint, separations, torn labrum) I wear shoulder pads even though it’s non-check.

#15 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 11 April 2024 - 12:45 PM

Doesn’t help pelgrave kicked his leg up

Zero chance I’ll ever wear one of those. 

What he did wasn’t a hockey play. It was dirty as fuck and now it’s sparked a huge over reaction for a rare occurrence. A friend of mine played with matt petgrave and he said that he was always somewhat of a dirty player with a bit of a screw loose. Look at his pims on hockey db. 

Looking for BIOSTEEL jersey made by UA or Adidas.

Looking for Bauer Pro defender elbows size Large

My ebay (better prices for members)