Photo

The I love pro stock lots of ppl don't understand why, I guess that is why I am in here thread.

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Beer leaguer

Beer leaguer

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

So I know we all love pro stock hockey gear. It is what the pros use, also not everyone uses it. Alot of my fellow players on my team use retail. Mind you alot of it is top of the line price retail. I always go pro stock with gloves and sticks mostly. So this topic is mainly to vent on how we are a different breed of hockey player. A pro stock hockey player haha. Every find yourself at drop in and someone points you out and asks why you have two of the same sticks? Or why do you have a name stitched on your cuff? I hate that shit. Most of my team is cool and when I take the time to explain how and where to get this great pro quality gear they say awesome! Some ppl actually will take the time to poke fun at me because they can not justify owning more than 1 pair of gloves not because of money, because they think its dumb. Anyone else deal with this from time to time? I have pro spec parise custom eastons coming this week and I can bet any money this wed at my geam someone will bitch about them in the locker room haha. Like I stated in the title I guess logging on for a few mins on here a day helps to realize there are ppl like us haha.

#2 Beer leaguer

Beer leaguer

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:07 PM

Their is a love for what the pros wear though. Retail is so high in prices though. My buddy just spent over $200 on the rbz ccm stick and he bought it retail. I found some online for him for alot less shipped. I guess it has alot to do with the knowledge about pro stock. Many ppl I know are clueless that the gloves getzlaf has on is not the same as the retail epro that feel like rectangle boxes. I kind of took on the roll of my close friends on setting them up in awesome pro stock pieces when they need new gear. My buddy Mike is kind of getting it now. I was the kid while watching hockey looking at Fedorovs skates and helmet not only his skill. Or always keeping an eye out for classic players who used a style of older gear like Modano. I think my hockey card collecting days had an impact on this also. I could name a number of players full setups when I was younger.

#3 skleiner1

skleiner1
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:18 PM

I was the same as Sean, I would get stuff for way cheaper then retail and I know it's way better quality. It also moved into gloves, which are WAY more comfortable pro stock in my opinion and I wouldn't use anything else... In fact I think I've only owned one pair of retail gloves when I was young. I just feel like the gear lasts a lot longer

It also helps that I play hockey in school and so do most of my friends or player higher up so retail gear isn't really ever around us. Usually always taking as much as we can get from our teams haha.

And of course you can't beat some pro colours that you might not be able to get retail.
Instagram - Sports2K
- skleiner
Twitter - @Sports2K
- @skleiner1

#4 Beer leaguer

Beer leaguer

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

Yes although some ppl can not see or care. I always try and pass on info and good priced gear, specially for my team. Retail eastons that ppl buy at Canadian Tire cost 99.99 when I can hook them up with vairous pro stock eastons for that price or less. Sticks are the biggest saving. Well that and skates. I try and sell some of my pro stock gloves in my local mens league. Its cool to see pro stock in my league and half of it was in my own collection.

#5 Guest_Gymmonster_*

Guest_Gymmonster_*

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

This site ruined me........RUINED ME!!!!!!!!!

Since I joined
I went from only using pro stock sticks (have been for a few years now) and retail everything else to

3 pairs of 2 piece pro pants (Canucks MHP7000, St. Louis Blues MHP7000, and my just arrived today Badger bauer/ccms from Steph)
3 pairs of pro gloves (easton se6, cbj franchise, Canuck X60 pros)
1 pair of made in sweeden pro Jofa shins (6090)
1 pair of made in sweeden pro pro jofa 7k elbows
1 set of made in sweeden pro jofa shoulder pads (7k pro)
Pro Bauer Blade Cut NYR Visor (WTF DID I NEED THIS FOR?! I HAVE 2 RETAIL UA VISORS ALREADY..........)

and I still have all my retail crap too......I have 4 pairs of shoulder pads and 4 pairs of shins ......WTF!!!!!!!!!!

One day I'm going to come home from work and find divorce papers on the fridge signed by my wife.

#6 skleiner1

skleiner1

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

That last "Pro Bauer visor" post make my day hahaha
Instagram - Sports2K
- skleiner
Twitter - @Sports2K
- @skleiner1

#7 Brian

Brian

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:42 PM

I was able to sell a lot of pro stock helmets to a bunch of old timers on my team. They seemed to love upgrading from their fossil gear. lol.

I guess it was hard for them to pass up when I pointed out they were brand new and I could sell them for 1/5 the price of the ones at the store.

#8 shoeshine boy

shoeshine boy
  • LocationDecatur, GA

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

for me it's mostly a quality issue. gloves are my main thing (though pants have started creeping in as well) with Warrior being my favorite brand followed closely by Eagles. IMO, the gloves made in Canada are far superior in comfort and quality to the gloves made overseas.

always looking for non Reebok L & XL shells......

#9 Beer leaguer

Beer leaguer

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

This site ruined me........RUINED ME!!!!!!!!!

Since I joined
I went from only using pro stock sticks (have been for a few years now) and retail everything else to

3 pairs of 2 piece pro pants (Canucks MHP7000, St. Louis Blues MHP7000, and my just arrived today Badger bauer/ccms from Steph)
3 pairs of pro gloves (easton se6, cbj franchise, Canuck X60 pros)
1 pair of made in sweeden pro Jofa shins (6090)
1 pair of made in sweeden pro pro jofa 7k elbows
1 set of made in sweeden pro jofa shoulder pads (7k pro)
Pro Bauer Blade Cut NYR Visor (WTF DID I NEED THIS FOR?! I HAVE 2 RETAIL UA VISORS ALREADY..........)

and I still have all my retail crap too......I have 4 pairs of shoulder pads and 4 pairs of shins ......WTF!!!!!!!!!!

One day I'm going to come home from work and find divorce papers on the fridge signed by my wife.

I can relate to having my gf here. We have been living together for almost 2 yrs now and she sees what I buy and I end up feeling guilty when I purchase extra gear haha. Before when I was single I owned one time up to 11 pairs of gloves. I sell alot of my extras. Still having up to 2-3 pairs of pro gloves. I have 3 pairs of skates but it was due to finding right fit. I am selling some now. I sold a helmet and pair of gloves this week. Having someone who reasons and sees how i LOVE this stuff as a hobby. It kind of puts me in a reasonable mode where if someting comes in new I look to move a piece. Ppl who are outside of this pro stock realm can not understand. Only thing that comes close would be woman with shoe collections. In all at the end of the day its about hockey. The pro stock lifestyle is the inside, the guts of real nhl hockey. The stuff were not suppose to use or have unless your pro. Hell I get all excited when looking at the new pickups thread. Fresh new eastons gloves or the latest stick, it is like a christmas wishbook with every page of what I want!

#10 Guest_Gymmonster_*

Guest_Gymmonster_*

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

I can relate to having my gf here. We have been living together for almost 2 yrs now and she sees what I buy and I end up feeling guilty when I purchase extra gear haha. Before when I was single I owned one time up to 11 pairs of gloves. I sell alot of my extras. Still having up to 2-3 pairs of pro gloves. I have 3 pairs of skates but it was due to finding right fit. I am selling some now. I sold a helmet and pair of gloves this week. Having someone who reasons and sees how i LOVE this stuff as a hobby. It kind of puts me in a reasonable mode where if someting comes in new I look to move a piece. Ppl who are outside of this pro stock realm can not understand. Only thing that comes close would be woman with shoe collections. In all at the end of the day its about hockey. The pro stock lifestyle is the inside, the guts of real nhl hockey. The stuff were not suppose to use or have unless your pro. Hell I get all excited when looking at the new pickups thread. Fresh new eastons gloves or the latest stick, it is like a christmas wishbook with every page of what I want!

I made the mistake once when my wife and I were dating and living together but not yet married of comparing my hockey stick collection (I think I was up to 15 at the max, tone downed to 4 now) to her shoe collection. Shit hit the fan...

#11 Beer leaguer

Beer leaguer

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:18 PM

^thanks for the advice and tip. I will remember to keep that in here and not spring it on her. Face it some of us have gone so far on what is even norm with hockey gear no one can understand that isn't crazy over pro.

#12 Hab4life

Hab4life
  • LocationSurrey BC Canada

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:35 PM

Well.....all of the above I guess......and then there's some of us guys that still think we're gonna get the "CALL" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

BTW, I'm not one of those guys :censored: , I just love being able to use the top quality pro stock equipment that the big boys use. Better protection, and the all important factor, you look KEWL !!

#13 JoeyJ0506

JoeyJ0506
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:44 PM

I think it's like anything... It's a hobby, or just something we like to do. I know guys that will blow half their paycheck the night after they get it on alcohol and cover charges on the South Side of Pittsburgh. I don't understand why they do it, but then of course I have a plastic Rubbermade storage bin in my basement with 9 pairs of Warrior gloves in it, my game bag with a complete set of protective, and my "storage bag" with two extra helmets a complete backup set of protective and three pairs of Warrior pants in it. I am sure that would seem odd to most people out there except on Sports2K and MSH. I figure I could have much worse hobbies/habits.

#14 skleiner1

skleiner1

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:46 PM

I think it's like anything... It's a hobby, or just something we like to do. I know guys that will blow half their paycheck the night after they get it on alcohol and cover charges on the South Side of Pittsburgh. I don't understand why they do it, but then of course I have a plastic Rubbermade storage bin in my basement with 9 pairs of Warrior gloves in it, my game bag with a complete set of protective, and my "storage bag" with two extra helmets a complete backup set of protective and three pairs of Warrior pants in it. I am sure that would seem odd to most people out there except on Sports2K and MSH. I figure I could have much worse hobbies/habits.

Super well said. If I have kids in the very far future haha, I would totally give them start money to buy pro stuff and then go from there. Rather have them spending money on hockey gear then getting alcohol every time they get money.
Instagram - Sports2K
- skleiner
Twitter - @Sports2K
- @skleiner1

#15 Adam

Adam

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

I was the same as Sean, I would get stuff for way cheaper then retail and I know it's way better quality. It also moved into gloves, which are WAY more comfortable pro stock in my opinion and I wouldn't use anything else... In fact I think I've only owned one pair of retail gloves when I was young. I just feel like the gear lasts a lot longer

It also helps that I play hockey in school and so do most of my friends or player higher up so retail gear isn't really ever around us. Usually always taking as much as we can get from our teams haha.

And of course you can't beat some pro colours that you might not be able to get retail.

especially at your school eh kleiner. Nastiest uni's in the oua

#16 invictus8

invictus8

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

I started cause sticks are cheaper and the socks are cooler haha and then I moved into protective cause it's head and shoulders over anything retail especially for pants

#17 Mincy

Mincy
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:03 PM

My addiction started the same as most of you, sticks. They were cheaper at first, and now it's trying to find the same pattern that I have grown accustomed too. After finding about this site and others I branched out to gloves. Guys on my team give me crap every game, trying to guess what gloves I'll wear. Pro stock is about the look, feel and uniqueness... some people don't care or understand. As far as the money, I don't smoke, do drugs, drink (that much) play video games or anything else that costs money each month. So while guys give me shit about what I own, I just remind them that they probably smoke a pair of gloves each week...

"Speak softly and carry a big stick"  Feedback

#18 CapAttack

CapAttack

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:22 PM

in Virginia...... all you see is the gear Season Ticket Holders buy at the Caps sale lol

I saw some guy with Islanders X60s when i was reffing once..... I had to do a double take lol

no way I'm in VA, I rock pro stock stuff at all my games. Match all the teams I'm on too! Sharks stuff, Leafs stuff, Oilers stuff. Like you guys I also only use pro stock sticks.

#19 skleiner1

skleiner1

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:20 AM

especially at your school eh kleiner. Nastiest uni's in the oua

Bauer pants for the girls finally. The men's team is wearing some gross black graf pants and black helmets with some weird coloured socks :dunno: :vomit:
Instagram - Sports2K
- skleiner
Twitter - @Sports2K
- @skleiner1

#20 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:01 AM

I think it's like anything... It's a hobby, or just something we like to do

Exactly. For me its a passion, I do get make fun of by my buddies once in a while, but im sure a lot of them would like some of my gear at the same time :LOL:
Follow us: Instagram: http://instagram.com/sports2k_com#
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Stock-Hockey-Sports2Kcom/151010068304116