Photo

Elbow pad suggestions

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 cwlaw

cwlaw
  • LocationNaperville, Illinois

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:24 AM

I have regretted selling my Jofa pro stocks for years but I can not justify spending 200 bucks on another pair so I need some more economical suggestions for new elbows. I am using the Bauer Pro Defender right now and they are about as big as shin guards.

I don't want real bulky and have heard good things about the Easton EQ50, EQ Pro, CCM U+ Pro and the Cl. 

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

#2 underworldeagle

underworldeagle
  • LocationMontreal, Qc

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:53 AM

CL's are nice, but take a look at the new Mako elbows they look pretty solid as well

#3 OutcastFalcon

OutcastFalcon
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:07 AM

I've been using CL's for the last year and love them. Best elbows I've used IMO. History jofa 9177, Bauer vapor xxxx, supreme one95, warrior projekt, and now and for the foreseeable future CL's

#4 Hab4life

Hab4life
  • LocationSurrey BC Canada

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:50 AM

Be a site guinea pig for everyone and buy a pair of those Tron's off of ebay, they look pretty good and are only $39. They look damn near the same as the Jofa's.

#5 cwlaw

cwlaw

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:01 PM

Be a site guinea pig for everyone and buy a pair of those Tron's off of ebay, they look pretty good and are only $39. They look damn near the same as the Jofa's.

In the past I have bought a few Tron products and some of them I was not too thrilled with. No Guinea Pig here.

#6 Hab4life

Hab4life
  • LocationSurrey BC Canada

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:17 PM

What Tron gear did you try ?? Is it basically junk ??

#7 cwlaw

cwlaw

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:27 PM

I had a pair of the top shoulder pads. I hated them. Too many floating parts.

#8 iceman8310

iceman8310
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:13 PM

I;m actually looking myself.  same boat as you.  used the rbk by jofa 9ks.  Tried on the 11k and the U+cls.  probably leaning toward the cls

#9 rbark11

rbark11
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:25 PM

I've heard really good things about the CL's. Personally I use the reebok 9ks elbow pads. I really like them so far, solid protection and they don't restrict my movement.

#10 mersss

mersss
  • LocationMontreal, CAN

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:28 PM

I bought a pair of Sherwood T-90 undercover yesterday for 40$

Looked like a great deal to when i bought them, and couldn't be happier. Played once with them and really liked them, especially with that price tag (compared to other brands).

#11 IDoezIt

IDoezIt
  • LocationMN

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

Bauer total ones. Besides the forearm guard. Its pretty low profile. Comfortable and Mobile. Love the floating/loose fitting bicep guard. 

ISO:

Kovalchuk Mitts Crosby Mitts

#12 Huskie94

Huskie94
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:31 PM

I have the CCM U+12. They're really protective. I also have an elbow injury so I need a good elbow pad.

#13 althoma1

althoma1
  • LocationToronto

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:06 PM

Blue and Grey 2012 Warrior Projekts. They should be on clearance soon since they're being discontinued.

Last year I decided to replace my white 2010 Projekts because I found that while they were mobile and very comfortable they slid a little after they were wet and didn't protect me as well as I would've liked when I took a hard spill (bad bruise, but nothing broken). I tried on every top level pad I could at the time by going to a few big hockey stores around Toronto - Easton RS, CCM CL, Bauer APX, Bauer TotalOne, Bauer Nexus, Reebok 11K ect.

I personally found the 2012 Projekts to be the most mobile and comfortable, but also noticed that the protection was beefed up from the 2010 version and the fit was changed. I've worn large pads in most brands (before the white Projekts I used Bauer One90s and before those Nike V14s), but had to use mediums in the white Projekts as they were a bit oversized. In the 2012 Projekts I was able to use a size large and they don't move around on me at all - they fit true to size and the elbow pocket is both deeper and narrower which helps eliminate shifting.

I've also taken a hard fall in the new Projekts and the 2012 version is much more protective than the 2010 version. The forearm protection feels a little bulky at first vs. the 2012 version, but you don't notice it when playing.

The second most comfortable pads for me were the CCM CL elbows - I prefer the flared bicep guard on the Projekts though. It was more comfortable for me and is why I went with the Projekts over the CLs. The CLs are a nice pad as well though and in my opinion they were the only ones in the same class as the Projekts in terms of comfort and mobility out of all the high end pads.

#14 thinkingjack

thinkingjack
  • LocationTempe, AZ

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

i will throw my hat in for easton 700 synergy pads if you can get them, i wore jofa and these supposedly fit like them but they dont in my arms, these fit better, and are damn good protective if you cant find them, try the Graf GS line elbow pads or the G700 ones which is the same thing,' They are phenomenal, i love them so much

Feel free to check out my hockey reviews, or random stuff

#15 Huskie94

Huskie94
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:46 PM

i will throw my hat in for easton 700 synergy pads if you can get them, i wore jofa and these supposedly fit like them but they dont in my arms, these fit better, and are damn good protective if you cant find them, try the Graf GS line elbow pads or the G700 ones which is the same thing,' They are phenomenal, i love them so much

I second the Easton 700s. Great elbow pads if you can find them.

#16 flyers10

flyers10

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:34 PM

tried on the new Easton Mako Pros tonigh and the mako m5 pads. had a surprisingly good fit at an affordable price