flip12's Content

There have been 23 items by flip12 (Search limited from 30-April 23)

Sort by                Order  

#388891 The "thats cool but i dont need it" on Ebay thread

Posted by flip12 on 21 April 2024 - 03:31 AM in Pro Stock Hockey Gear

Yes, I'm old, but really cool old modified Pro Tacks boots

https://sidelineswap...pro-skate-boots

I can't stand the leftover bus seat cover they used as the outer layer on the quarters. Screams anything but athletic. But then again, CCM's been screwed up in the looks department since the 90's.

#388545 Graf Switzerland video

Posted by flip12 on 16 February 2024 - 12:18 PM in Hockey Gear

Nice video and glad they're making a comeback, wish Graf the best

We'll see how they go. They'll need a drastic improvement in their product development and market reach if they can call it a comeback. I love Graf skates, and wish them a healthy future as well, I'm just skeptical considering their inability to modernize over the last 20 years.

#387698 The "thats cool but i dont need it" on Ebay thread

Posted by flip12 on 28 October 2023 - 04:36 AM in Pro Stock Hockey Gear

Pretty immaculate Swiss made 501's for $85. Size 9

https://sidelineswap...e-hockey-skates

Really cool. It’s a good training tool to skate without any ankle stiffness. I have a similar era pair of Graf 701s for that.

#387598 Recent Pick-ups

Posted by flip12 on 15 October 2023 - 01:38 AM in Pro Stock Hockey Gear

Thanks for the info.

The pattern is an exact match for the Z Airs, but one piece of foam. I had a pair like this once, TML colors, Grabovski iirc but I have no idea if he wore them ever

I’m pretty sure Grabo did wear those in games now that you mention it.

How do they feel?

#387588 Recent Pick-ups

Posted by flip12 on 14 October 2023 - 02:12 AM in Pro Stock Hockey Gear

PXL-20231013-232854047-MP.jpg
Forsberg Avalanche gloves. These are really light and kinda look like z Airs, but they have no breaks and the entire backhand is one big pad. Anybody know the story with this model?

That’s the pickup of the year and it’s not even close.

Easton Zero Shock. It uses EPP foam for lightweight protection. Forsberg also used extra protective gloves before these but nothing else after he got his hands in Zero Shocks, they were his jam. Other than Zetterberg, I can’t recall anyone else wearing them.

http://katmek.com/wo...o-shock?lang=en

#387530 The "thats cool but i dont need it" on Ebay thread

Posted by flip12 on 09 October 2023 - 10:07 AM in Pro Stock Hockey Gear

New Zetterberg mitts: https://bit.ly/45mYw7J

Repalmed and without his trademark slash guard it looks like.

#387513 Recent Pick-ups

Posted by flip12 on 06 October 2023 - 01:02 AM in Pro Stock Hockey Gear

I have used t he New Kovy, Hossa and the Point from PSHS....The Point did not work for me...Love the other 2 alot....Want to try the 082 Kempe or whatever the 082 is..

I'm just about to finalize a team order. The price and reputation is just too good to go for any of the other options on the table in Denmark. I'm getting a Kovalchuk Thrashers. I thought about getting a New Kovy too to compare, but that might be for another day.

#387512 Recent Pick-ups

Posted by flip12 on 06 October 2023 - 12:59 AM in Pro Stock Hockey Gear

Ya it's nothing like what the site looks. It's a max height or pretty close to Max height p88 with a massive toe hook but stays closed at the toe. Made the switch from MacKinnon pro/p10 retail gionta. It's a great curve and very underrated

Your pictures show. a curve that looks like it might be borrowed from one of Kovalchuk's patterns from his younger days. Definitely not what I expected from recently looking at the pattern on the site. It looks so nice in real shots. I'd love that curve on a classic E4 blade face.

#387492 Recent Pick-ups

Posted by flip12 on 05 October 2023 - 01:38 AM in Pro Stock Hockey Gear

PSHS customs, Brayden Point pro curve is absolutely unmatched. 350g red line, super round shaft, model E grip and paint job

Nice. I'm surprised the Point looks much more usable in your pictures than it does in the graphics on PSHS' site. They don't do a good job of highlighting the actual curves they offer. Kind of puzzling since that's one of their major features.

Have you tried the Point before? How does it play?

#387428 2023-2024 Pro Stock Sightings

Posted by flip12 on 29 September 2023 - 12:25 PM in Pro Stock Hockey Gear

Always funny when someone posts their opinion and then someone else replies to it like
HeRp DeRp yOuR oPiNiOn iS wRoNg AnD MiNe iS RiGht

https://youtu.be/j95...?feature=shared

#387347 Greatest Skates of All Time

Posted by flip12 on 23 September 2023 - 09:31 AM in Hockey Gear

Honorable mention for pure sty: Fedorov Air Zooms.

The Air Accel Elite from ‘97 or the original design from ‘96 that he hated?

#387255 Yellow Synergy “rerelease”

Posted by flip12 on 13 September 2023 - 04:27 PM in Hockey Gear

I might do something similar on my next custom order. I loved my original yellow Macdaddy back in 2008-2009. 

I never owned one, but I loved the look. I would jump on one in a heartbeat right now if I found the right curve. There was a Draper Left 85 on Kleinanzeigen eBay-De last year. I was tempted but I'm partial to the Fedorov, Smyth, and Weight.

#387249 Yellow Synergy “rerelease”

Posted by flip12 on 13 September 2023 - 01:05 PM in Hockey Gear

Just my opinion, but if you're looking for yellow graphics at that price point, you're much better off getting together with a few friends and ordering some PRO sticks. I know they take 2-3 months, but the quality is far superior to a mid-level Bauer stick with a Synergy paint job. You can use your specs instead of only having three options for curve and four for flex. The "Model E" build with kevlar grip is based off original Easton sticks.

e92a344e5b21b02d_original.png?height=600

Good suggestion. It’s really stupid to offer anything resembling a Synergy without trying to get the texture right. Pro should make a more detailed Synergy inspired graphics package; call it Pronergy or STnergy or something. I’d go for a Starskie rip-off. Those were nice looking. Model E kevlar looks closer to Warrior’s narrower weave from the early Dolomite days anyway.

#387114 The "thats cool but i dont need it" on Ebay thread

Posted by flip12 on 05 September 2023 - 01:22 AM in Pro Stock Hockey Gear

They were like pillows on my arms, but had good protection for an entry-level pad. I loved them and the shins, but turned them into PIAS about 10 years ago. I wish I would have kept them.

I got a pair recently to try them out. They weren’t particularly comfortable for me. The worst part was I could not get them to stay in place even after wrapping a decent amount of tape around them.

#387032 Recent Pick-ups

Posted by flip12 on 29 August 2023 - 01:29 PM in Pro Stock Hockey Gear

I honestly never stopped wearing a cage (except the itech fishbowl days) since I was a kid.

I also never stopped. No cage now though, very happy with the CCM FV1. I forget I have it on until it's needed.

#386797 Skate Break in

Posted by flip12 on 05 August 2023 - 01:57 AM in Hockey Gear

Did you check how your arch compares in that weight-bearing, knees bent position? If you pronate your arch could be rolling down and spreading out laterally. I used to get mild irritation in the same spot from Tretorn shoes if I wore a pair long enough.

#386446 CCM new girdle?

Posted by flip12 on 29 June 2023 - 01:18 PM in Hockey Gear

It looks to be for bandy, which is another ice skating sport that is popular in Sweden.

Bandy’s definitely popular in Sweden. This shop’s in Switzerland though. First I’ve heard of Swiss bandy.

#386253 New Kovalchuk Curve on Other Sticks

Posted by flip12 on 09 June 2023 - 02:54 PM in Hockey Gear

P28 on the left, Kovy on the right

Thanks. I thought so, but looked at it so much I started to doubt.

I've tried both Kovys as well as a ton of curves from PSHS. The new Kovy is the best for me, as GGS said, pops like a P28 with a canon on it. I just got my fourth batch of customs in last night. The pricing for the options is insane, and they are great about warranty as well, I'm a huge fan. I similarly have a ton of sticks, but I'm just gonna offload the bauers/warriors, and keep the PSHS ones.

Being in Europe, the price may be even more shocking. Equipment is so expensive here. To get a stick with Eastonesque specs at 400g and a nonstandard curve for less than $200 is insane.

I have the PSHS Kovy and I love it, when I hit a slump or I am bored I will go to my Hossa for short time then go back to the Kovy..

Great for 3 foot and in guys like me.... :D

Aside from P28, my favorite curve is my Base Hossa. It sounds like that's the curve neighborhood of people who like the Kovalchuk patterns. I'm pretty sure I'll go for one of each. And I'll be a little less gentle on my basement stash from now on :drool:

#386240 New Kovalchuk Curve on Other Sticks

Posted by flip12 on 08 June 2023 - 04:36 PM in Hockey Gear

This is exactly what I was going to say. The PRO sticks are my favorite sticks, regardless of brand. They may not have the same technology as a $350 stick from Bauer or CCM, but I feel like having custom specs tailored to my liking is more important, especially in beer league.

Here are the Kovalchuk and P28 side by side:

Looking at this again and again, but which one is Kovalchuk and which one P28?

#386238 New Kovalchuk Curve on Other Sticks

Posted by flip12 on 08 June 2023 - 02:19 PM in Hockey Gear

The heels feel very similar. The P28 heel may be slightly more open, but passes feel the same. I like to toe drag and shoot snap shots form the toe, so the new Kovalchuk PP17 is the perfect curve for me. If you're a forward that shoots a lot but wants a little more "oomf" than the P28, you will probably like this curve. It's surprisingly easy to control if you're coming from a P28 or another toe curve. I was using the P28 for about a decade (when it was still called the Kreps curve and only pro stock) before I switched to the PP17, so your results may vary. 

The biggest deal for me in a curve is that the deepest part of the curve is between the middle and the toe. Whether it's a shallower version similar to PSHS' Barkov, or a deeper one (deepest I have is either Gionta or Malkin Eastons) doesn't make too big of a difference. If the Kovalchuks play like a P28, I'm sure I'll be happy. The only thing I really don't like about P28 is that heel portion I mentioned, and it's something I could live with. But the option of having something similar with a little less loft like the Thrashers Kovalchuk is appealing. I'm thinking of ordering one of each Kovalchuk. The pricing is just incredible for the options...I just already have way too many sticks as it is. 

#386222 New Kovalchuk Curve on Other Sticks

Posted by flip12 on 07 June 2023 - 06:10 AM in Hockey Gear

It's got way more toe than the P28. Way more. I also went from P28 to this, and it's my favorite curve I've ever used. Blade durability on these from PSHS is top notch, I've broken three this year, none on the blade, not even so much as a crack or gone soft yet. Highly recommended.

This is exactly what I was going to say. The PRO sticks are my favorite sticks, regardless of brand. They may not have the same technology as a $350 stick from Bauer or CCM, but I feel like having custom specs tailored to my liking is more important, especially in beer league.

Here are the Kovalchuk and P28 side by side:

Thanks for the feedback. I've only heard good things, and I'm like you Golden Gate Sharpening--much more interested in spec than tech.

It's a little hard to tell, is the Kovalchuk straighter at the heel than the P28 as well? It looks more like a Gionta curve from this view of it.

#386213 New Kovalchuk Curve on Other Sticks

Posted by flip12 on 06 June 2023 - 02:39 PM in Hockey Gear

I've tried his 90+ flex from a former coworker of mine and I agree about the boxy shaft. I bought two Dean Ostrovsky sticks on PSH, which have standard-shaped shafts. The curve is the exact same, but the flex is a bit stiff since I had to cut them down. I'll most likely stick with my PRO sticks, but am always on the lookout for the new Kovalchuk RH 70ish flex unicorn. 

How does the Kovalchuk curve compare to the P28? I'm tempted by both PSHS Kovalchuks because I love the P28 except for the square heel. Sometimes passes and pick-offs slide underneath the blade at the far end of my reach.

Also, how's the blade durability?

#385931 New Kovalchuk Curve on Other Sticks

Posted by flip12 on 15 May 2023 - 10:18 AM in Hockey Gear

PSH had Kovalchuk overstocks a while back, but the lowest flex they had was 85, I think. Some PSH Kovys were up for sale 6-8 months ago on Kleinanzeigen (eBay’s more local classified platform in Germany; a random treasure shows up now and then). I think they were new Kovys. Those are the only times I’ve seen that curve on anything. He’s got that box shaft shape a lot of people dislike.